Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Animesona

can i pay someone to make a doom mod?

i have an idea for a doom mod but i want to know if i could pay someone to make it cause i dont know how to code

35 minutes ago, Animesona said:

i have an idea for a doom mod but i want to know if i could pay someone to make it cause i dont know how to code

Probably not, but if you share the idea maybe someone likes it and make it.

3 hours ago, jval said:

Probably not, but if you share the idea maybe someone likes it and make it.

what i had in mind what if the other monsters could wear the lost souls like masks and it makes them stronger or is there a mod like that already if not am i genius for thinking of that idea?

4 minutes ago, Animesona said:

am i genius for thinking of that idea?

You surely are :D

45 minutes ago, Animesona said:

what if the other monsters could wear the lost souls like masks and it makes them stronger

So basically few new monsters based on old sprites and with increased stats? Man, that's easy.

2 hours ago, ValeriyPipick said:

So basically few new monsters based on old sprites and with increased stats? Man, that's easy.

well i dont know how to do that so i decided im gonna pay someone some money to do it for me

2 hours ago, Fonze said:

Part of the problem that I see with this idea is that when you pay for skilled work you have to account for the time it took for the person to acquire that skill and the time they'll spend working for you. If you're only planning on paying somebody like a hundred bucks you can easily wind up insulting the higher skilled crowd, or inversely putting excess (read: monetary) pressure on whomever accepts. Of course this also all depends on how much work your mod idea would require of somebody, but if it's something that an expert can make in under an hour I suppose ask yourself if that's really something worth paying money for.

Additionally, it could be more beneficial to you to simply ask questions for free and learn to write the code you'd need, or to pay people smaller amounts for smaller bits of work while overseeing the project and piecing everything together on your own. Hope this helps :)

As for where you'd go to pay people, probably the best would be their patreon accounts, or through paypal, but maybe like cashapp or something similar may be good too idk.

2 hours ago, Fonze said:

Excuse me would you mind running that by me again?

plus for me 100$ is a lot of money plus doom is a 3d game with 2d images so 100$ would be more than plenty

39 minutes ago, Animesona said:

plus for me 100$ is a lot of money plus doom is a 3d game with 2d images so 100$ would be more than plenty

Mhm, mhm, that's cute. You forget that doom sprites have rotations, and each angle has its own set of individual frames that are used for the animation, so it's not that easy (if it were, you'd do it yourself).

Also spriters, as in sprite artists, aren't exactly easy to come by. On top of that, 100$ is not a lot of money given that decent work still takes several hours just spent on sprites (EDIT: Also, just to get the point across even better, you don't just want one monster to be able to wear LSs as masks, but several, which effectively multiplies the required amount of work), and you also need coding to be done. So for quite a few people 100$ might not actually be "plenty" given the time that needs to be invested, never mind the luckier forum members who have hourly rates of +100$... And like Dragonfly said, if you wanna get people interested in doing your work for you, then you better learn to not behave like a douche.

Edited by Nine Inch Heels

It's one thing to not be bothered learning the ins and outs of Doom modding, but if you can't even bother to read a couple paragraphs, I have a hard time imagining many people will be willing to get involved in a financial transaction with you..

I started mapping when I was 9. The tools we were way shittier back then too. If my 9 year old self was able to pump out some maps, you can too. I believe in you champ, now get crackin'

2 hours ago, Doomkid said:

It's one thing to not be bothered learning the ins and outs of Doom modding, but if you can't even bother to read a couple paragraphs, I have a hard time imagining many people will be willing to get involved in a financial transaction with you..

I started mapping when I was 9. The tools we were way shittier back then too. If my 9 year old self was able to pump out some maps, you can too. I believe in you champ, now get crackin'

im just looking someone who will accept a job thats all

I'm not trying to be a dick with this comment but have you considered actually learning how to mod? It's a win-win, you learn a new skill and you get to keep your money too. There are loads of tutorials and the programs are all really easy nowadays, I'm just wondering why not keep your $100 for yourself? I'm not trying to discourage you, I'm just curious.

I think you're better off learning how to do it yourself, modding can be surprisingly fun!

5 minutes ago, Animesona said:

yeah i dont know how to code

Neither did I until I spent the time to learn how. But with your project, it looks like you're also needing to do a lot of sprite work too. If I could make a recommendation: make a couple of wads and experiment with the different available tools and try out some stuff. There's tons of resources online to help with this too.

2 hours ago, phoo said:

Neither did I until I spent the time to learn how. But with your project, it looks like you're also needing to do a lot of sprite work too. If I could make a recommendation: make a could of wads and experiment with the different available tools and try out some stuff. There's tons of resources online to help with this too.

also i dont know what tools i need either

Here's some tools I use for mapping/modding:

I use Slade for working with wad files: https://slade.mancubus.net/index.php?page=downloads

GZDoomBuilder for mapping: https://devbuilds.drdteam.org/doombuilder2-gzdb/

WhackEd4 for doing the occasional Dehacked stuff: https://www.teamhellspawn.com/exl/whacked4/

There are many other programs you can use as well, these are just the ones I'm currently using.

I suggest you watch some tutorials and try your hand at some basic mapping, it's a great place to start.

2 hours ago, phoo said:

I use Slade for working with wad files: https://slade.mancubus.net/index.php?page=downloads

WhackEd4 for doing the occasional Dehacked stuff: https://www.teamhellspawn.com/exl/whacked4/

There are many other programs you can use as well, these are just the ones I'm currently using.

I suggest you watch some tutorials and try your hand at some basic mapping, it's a great place to start.

would it be difficult to put lost soul faces on monsters?

1 hour ago, Animesona said:

so anyway i got 100$ for the first person to agree to make a doom mod for me

Please read the advisory posts put prior to this post from you. You reacted in a manner that affects other people's willingness to fulfill your request to a significant degree.

1 hour ago, Animesona said:

im just looking someone who will accept a job thats all

Again, what are your own qualities? What can you do that will help this hypothetical person to make a mod for you? Do you write? Do you have a skill in graphic design?

Nobody knows anything from you and what your skillset in facets other than modding is. This is why i politely advise you to represent some of your work (if any).

50 minutes ago, Animesona said:

would it be difficult to put lost soul faces on monsters?

Study the documentation if you are willing to take a shot at this. Note: this isn't something you learn in 10 minutes.

1 hour ago, phoo said:

GZDB is discontinued. It is better advised to suggest Ultimate Doom Builder or Doom Builder X.

Edited by Redneckerz

It isn't something I've tried myself, but having monsters "pick up" lost souls and wear them as masks would probably require an advanced sourceport (example: GZDoom) and something like ZScript. This does sound a quite challenging, you're sort of looking to define new behavior for the monsters in doom. 

The way I see it, this feature would probably consist of the following main components: 

Determining the position of lost souls relative to other monsters

Defining the circumstances under which a monster would choose to wear a lost soul

Updating the lost soul and monster ('deleting' the lost soul, updating the monster's sprites and properties such as health value)

Adding some sounds effects and other details

This is an oversimplification and I'm by no means an expert, but this mod sounds like quite a bit of work. Again, If you're interesting in doing something like this, I think it's a good idea to start off small and work your way up to bigger projects once you're more comfortable.

Edited by phoo

5 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

GZDB is discontiuned. It is better advised to suggest Ultimate Doom Builder or Doom Builder X.

That's a good point, thanks for mentioning that.

2 hours ago, phoo said:

It isn't something I've tried myself, but having monsters "pick up" lost souls and wear them as masks would probably require an advanced sourceport (example: GZDoom) and something like ZScript. This does sound a little challenging, you're sort of looking to define new behavior for the monsters in doom. 

The way I see it, this feature would probably consist of the following main components: 

Determining the position of lost souls relative to other monsters

Defining the circumstances under which a monster would choose to wear a lost soul

Updating the lost soul and monster ('deleting' the lost soul, updating the monster's sprites as and properties such as health)

Adding some sounds effects and other details

This is an oversimplification and I'm by no means an expert, but this mod sounds like quite a bit of work. Again, If you're interesting in doing something like this, I think it's a good idea to start off small and work your way up to bigger projects once you're more comfortable.

no need to complicate things i was just thinking id change the monsters face into a lost soul so it looks like there wearing the lost soul monsters face as a mask