Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tacno

My first map, Woodworks

Hello everyone! I decided to dabble in some Doom map editing a couple of days ago and I put together my first level and called it Woodworks, it's more focused on the outdoors and a sort of lumber mill aesthetic. I have absolutely no experience with level design so I know the layout is nowhere near perfect and the texturing might not be great but I had a lot of fun making it.

I tested my map on GZDoom but it doesn't use any non vanilla textures or features so I'd imagine that it works for most source ports. Make sure to run the WAD under Doom 2. I appreciate feedback so if you play, tell me what I can improve for next time!

1.png

2.png

3.png

Woodworks.zip

I tested it until I ran into a Cyberdemon and died. I definitely see the potential in this idea, although perhaps not in bent doors. Why are your doors bent?

Black triangles in the starting room look bugged. After a while I realized that they are actually wheels on a car, but until then they didn't look right. The car in later room looks much better too, perhaps you should copy it here?

I couldn't get rocket launcher, not sure if bug or secret or I'm just stupid.

I'm not sure bloodfalls is the right choice for texture which has blood below but not above. What's bleeding?

Spider mastermind is stuck. Can't move or attack. Not sure why, probably all the height difference under her feet.

Doors disappear into nothingness. At least one of them is also tall enough for texture to start looping. Doors in starting area blend into the wall too much. Consider adding a room with lower ceiling into the fence and have door inside it. Columns around dual doors look good although I'm not sure the sculls send the correct message.

Textures are missing on some lines. Doom Builder 2 can check for that, I'm sure others can too. Floor textures should not change without changing height - except maybe a few that are designed to blend. Wood just merging into grass looks wrong.

Edited by ViolentBeetle

1 minute ago, ViolentBeetle said:

I tested it until I ran into a Cyberdemon and died. I definitely see the potential in this idea, although perhaps not in bent doors. Why are your doors bent?

Black triangles in the starting room look bugged. After a while I realized that they are actually wheels on a car, but until then they didn't look right. The car in later room looks much better too, perhaps you should copy it here?

I couldn't get rocket launcher, not sure if bug or secret or I'm just stupid.

I'm not sure bloodfalls is the right choice for texture which has blood below but not above. What's bleeding?

Spider mastermind is stuck. Can't move or attack. Not sure why, probably all the height difference under her feet.

Doors disappear into nothingness. At least one of them is also tall enough for texture to start looping. Doors in starting area blend into the wall too much. Consider adding a room with lower ceiling into the fence and have door inside it. Columns around dual doors look good although I'm not sure the sculls send the correct message.

Thank you for the feedback, just so you know you can get the rocket launcher by doing a diagonal sprint from on top of the first car in the level. The bent doors are just a result from sloppiness, and the blood was there to kind of show an area of hell breaking loose, I didn't think too hard about it I just thought it looked cool. For my next map I'll make sure to check those sort of things.

1 minute ago, Tacno said:

The bent doors are just a result from sloppiness

You can fix them by dragging central point to one of the sides to merge them. Then your door will be straight again.

That was fun!  Short and easy but I did enjoy sneaking behind the mastermind through the shrubs and the infighting was fun too