Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Thermal Lance

Any hope to have a Crispy Heretic/Hexen updated?

While we do have Chocolate Heretic/Hexen... The pixels are real! XD I might be a nostalgic gamer but nostalgia don't help my eyes. GZDoom might play them but, for me, accuracy is important.

I just downloaded what I could find on the net for Crispy but sadly these are greatly lagging behind and lacks a lot of features newer releases of Crispy Doom have. For example, I cannot find an uncapped framerate option. 

Any hope of seeing those two other wonderful game recieve a proper treatment? 

fabian has expressed that he's not interested in working on hexen/heretic/strife support for crispy. I can't knock that, it's his port, but it does really suck that hexen and heretic are left by the wayside with regards to source ports. Unless someone with programming know-how feels like forking crispy themself, the prospects seem kind of bleak aside from just sticking to GZdoom.

There have been some contributions to Heretic recently, but nothing in the order of uncapped framerate/frame interpolation. Hexen has seen no development for literally years.

53 minutes ago, DagothKronk said:

Unless someone with programming know-how feels like forking crispy themself

No need to fork, actually, I am willing to review any pull request - it's just that someone has to do it. Complaining won't help.

2 hours ago, DagothKronk said:

fabian has expressed that he's not interested in working on hexen/heretic/strife support for crispy. I can't knock that, it's his port, but it does really suck that hexen and heretic are left by the wayside with regards to source ports. Unless someone with programming know-how feels like forking crispy themself, the prospects seem kind of bleak aside from just sticking to GZdoom.

Eternity is also getting Heretic/Hexen/Strife support, and it will play them more faithfully than GZDoom does - for the purists. In fact, Heretic will likely be demo compatible.

There are also Russian Doom/Heretic/Hexen ports that are probably demo compatible and probably have higher resolution+rendering interpolation I think. The default language is Russian, but that can be changed to English from the menu.

I have yet to try them myself tho.

The Russian Ports are quite good, functionally, but suffer from lack of a midiproc.exe to help with the audio disparity issues of SFX and music, last I checked at least.

That may have been fixed.

5 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

There are also Russian Doom/Heretic/Hexen ports that are probably demo compatible and probably have higher resolution+rendering interpolation I think. The default language is Russian, but that can be changed to English from the menu.

I have yet to try them myself tho.

THANK YOU!

Exactly what I was looking for. A port forked from Chocolate Heretic with some of the graphics options of Crispy Doom. Took me forever to find how to change the language (I dun know shite about Russian.) but it was definatly worth it! Thanks a lot!

I would also like to see binaries for Crispy Hexen and Heretic (you don't need to update these frequently, just give us some yearly EXE binaries, since these run fine on Wine too)

It's mostly to have the option of having the "high-res" rendering toggle On/Off

For me the main selling point of the Chocolate and Crispy ports are the ability of playing the game in window mode but simply scaling the old-school looks to whatever size you want, keeping the internal resolution low. I'm not aware of any other port that does this and this alone makes me want to use it for vanilla stuff. Switching to fullscreen can be problematic at certain cases, changing desktop stuff, messing with streaming, etc.

On 3/31/2020 at 9:12 PM, Thermal Lance said:

While we do have Chocolate Heretic/Hexen... The pixels are real! XD I might be a nostalgic gamer but nostalgia don't help my eyes. GZDoom might play them but, for me, accuracy is important.

I just downloaded what I could find on the net for Crispy but sadly these are greatly lagging behind and lacks a lot of features newer releases of Crispy Doom have. For example, I cannot find an uncapped framerate option. 

Any hope of seeing those two other wonderful game recieve a proper treatment? 

https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/crispy-doom/releases/download/crispy-doom-5.8.0/crispy-heretic-5.8.0-win32.zip

It's linked at https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/crispy-doom/releases