Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Good-Old

Chrome won't load DW

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

So, yesterday I reinstalled Windows due to a lot of system problems. Before reinstalling, I didn't have a problem with chrome loading Doomworld but now it is classifying the website as "Not secure".

Capture.PNG.23256ebf9275ce4b43b5c34b92ee76f6.PNG Now I'm pretty sure it is an error of Chrome as I am not having problems accessing it from FireFox and Doomworld is trustworthy. Clicking on "Proceed" (Chrome) did take to the website, but-

Capture.PNG.56757a997f4ba31309f4cfbf1e79b748.PNG

I spent a whole day, googling the possible cause, sacrificing other system related work like installing the drivers, but to no avail. I have given up on Chrome.

Did this happen to anyone? If so, how did you deal with it?

I'll just ask here before going to a chrome support forum.

Share this post


Link to post
34 minutes ago, Good-Old said:

Chrome won't load DW

Good reason to change this shitty browser to a better one.

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, ValeriyPipick said:

...But in case you will not, try to type https:// before doomworld.com (https://www.doomworld.com).

That is probably why firefox can load it chrome can't, it just won't add https to the beginning no matter what. Even if I type it myself. Probably because it is "not secure".

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, ValeriyPipick said:

Good reason to change this shitty browser to a better one.

But my luck is so bad, most browsers are based on Chrome, so they have the same error.

Switching to firefox now, it isn't based on chrome.

Share this post


Link to post

First thing I'd do is get the https://www part to show back up. For some stupid ass reason, Google keeps hiding them and removing the flags to do it.

 

https://superuser.com/questions/1509662/how-do-i-show-www-and-https-in-chrome-79

 

As far as why it's doing this, no idea. I use Firefox myself. You might could try this if Google hasn't killed the flag:

 

Quote

Open Chrome, type chrome://flags in the address bar, then press “Enter“. Type the word “secure” in the search box at the top to make it easier to find the setting we need. Scroll down to the “Mark non-secure origins as non-secure” setting and change it to “Disabled” to turn off the “Not Secure” warnings.

 

Share this post


Link to post

That is weird. Chrome works fine for me. I am writing this very comment using Chrome.

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, Nevander said:

As far as why it's doing this, no idea. I use Firefox myself. You might could try this if Google hasn't killed the flag:

 

 

Yeah, tried it, restarted Chrome, nothing happened. I have seen a lot of websites say this, but it doesn't work.

By restart, I mean I killed all Chrome processes. So it should work right? But Chrome doesn't obey.

Share this post


Link to post

Strange, because I have no problems browsing the forum in chrome. Perhaps it has something to do with another program affecting the browser? Like an overzealous anti-virus or something?

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Egg Boy said:

Strange, because I have no problems browsing the forum in chrome. Perhaps it has something to do with another program affecting the browser? Like an overzealous anti-virus or something?

 

This.

 

I have no problem using Chrome either. You should try looking for some third party software that might be getting too sensitive about the web, like an AV, firewall, VPN, or whatever. Chrome also has an option to scan for software that might be potentially interfering, maybe it picks up on something.

Share this post


Link to post

Some AVs do HTTPS spoofing with their certificate (like Kaspersky) for checking viruses and malware.

Check the certificate the browse is trying to use if it's something like "Kaspersky" or something else.

The Doomworld's certificate is verified by "Sectigo limited."

Share this post


Link to post

This hasn't happened to me in a while, but IIRC it seems to go away on its own within several days for me when it does happen.

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/1/2020 at 2:04 PM, Egg Boy said:

Strange, because I have no problems browsing the forum in chrome. Perhaps it has something to do with another program affecting the browser? Like an overzealous anti-virus or something?

 

On 4/1/2020 at 3:34 PM, seed said:

 

This.

 

I have no problem using Chrome either. You should try looking for some third party software that might be getting too sensitive about the web, like an AV, firewall, VPN, or whatever. Chrome also has an option to scan for software that might be potentially interfering, maybe it picks up on something.

 

On 4/1/2020 at 3:37 PM, LuciferSam86 said:

Some AVs do HTTPS spoofing with their certificate (like Kaspersky) for checking viruses and malware.

Check the certificate the browse is trying to use if it's something like "Kaspersky" or something else.

The Doomworld's certificate is verified by "Sectigo limited."

It was a clean install of windows where Chrome was the first thing I installed, and I found this problem before installing anything else. But the screenshot was taken later on. In short, no AVs, VPNs, or Firewalls were installed. Windows firewall was disabled.

21 hours ago, DuckReconMajor said:

This hasn't happened to me in a while, but IIRC it seems to go away on its own within several days for me when it does happen.

It worked fine before the reinstall; but it probably change something due to which this is happening.

Share this post


Link to post

If you click the Not Secure is Certificate in this list

gB8Hi0J.png

 

If so, can you click it and do you see

TbXs2g7.png

 

and can you click "Install Certificate" where it says Issuer Statement?

 

If neither, can you do "certmgr.msc" in the Windows Start menu or Run dialog and can you see these Sectigo certificates?

 

z2vfwrxl.png

 

last but not least, is your computer's clock set to the correct date/time?

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks for mentioning certificate! I remember installing a Microsoft certificate to be able to install .NET Framework.

I installed AddTrust, USERtrust and Sectigo certificates, all of which were mentioned here:-

jbjhg.PNG.b04a1cadf0e7d5b867c1ca73b553dd7f.PNG

These had a small 'x' sign on them indicating that they cannot be trusted. So I downloaded and installed the certificates in the Trusted Root Certification Authorities folder, relaunched chrome and the 'Not Secure' thing is gone.

I am typing this using Chrome.

 

Thanks a lot @DuckReconMajor for the reply!

Share this post


Link to post

I didn't know you have to install certificates manually? Never had this problem before because I assumed certifcates were automatically installed and managed by either Windows or the browser. News to me.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Nevander said:

I didn't know you have to install certificates manually? Never had this problem before because I assumed certifcates were automatically installed and managed by either Windows or the browser. News to me.

Well, most certificates are usually pre-installed in the computer but apparently these ones weren't. And by manually I mean by using certificate import wizard, which pops up if you click install certificate.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×