Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spike

Vampirajay's 'Biohazard' (Underworld Map13)...

Fredrik said:

But you can ignore me. Whatever. It's just annoying when something as plain as that (excuse me again for being negative) gets "woah that's 1337":s.

People comment like that because they know that Jay isn't as experienced as you. People with little experience NEED positive feedback, otherwise they just back out too early, like the case is with poor Jay here. People are used to the fact that you do kickass maps and since you have the habit of bragging a lot about yourself and your damn ego, people don't feel like praising your work as much.

I have to confess that you made a huge blunder by posting that comment, but it's too late to fix the blame now anyway.

Shaviro: So yeah, people dissed your first maps and you're happy about that because it helped you - good for you, but not all people are able to take such a blow as well as you and in this case it has clearly backfired because Jay is more sensitive than you. I know that I would explode with rage if I made something I was proud of (because it was better than anything I had previously done) and shared it with others only to get a verbal beating like that.

One thing people on these forums usually fail to notice is that people easily misunderstand comments. Many of the comments posted in this thread can easily be interpreted as rude and condescending - that is NOT the way to do it. Be wary of what you post people - be gentle dammit, if you don't like a map, point out the errors or other bad things in a decent manner and suggest how things can be improved.

Do you ever see me slugging the crap out of a story in the fan fic forum even if it IS bad? Not anymore at least, because I have learned from my mistakes (I still commit some I admit).

I am thoroughly saddened that all these comments have hurt Jay so much. I loved her maps in the Underworld Episode 1, I felt that they were good, fun maps - not too eye candyish, but good nonetheless.

If the above seems like one huge flame directed towards certain people, then I'm sorry, but I just felt the need to explain how I feel things should be done when commenting on other people's work.

Additionally, what's up with all the bashing of Tarin and Shaviro in this thread? *I* were the one who said that the map looked ugly, no one else did. Fucking morons. Yes I mean it.

People comment like that because they know that Jay isn't as experienced as you.

Wrong wrong wrong. If it's bad and you want to be constructive, you shouldn't say it's good, you should critizise it. Prior to Tarin's comment, there was no criticism whatsoever.

Fredrik said:

Additionally, what's up with all the bashing of Tarin and Shaviro in this thread? *I* were the one who said that the map looked ugly, no one else did. Fucking morons. Yes I mean it.

Your ego is surpassed only by your lack of resemblance to any aspect of the good things humanity has to offer.

I would have said something earlier, but I was watching a movie for a couple of hours. Anyway, when I first saw that second screen shot, that door with the pentagram looked like it had red stained glass. Too bad JDoom doesn't do colored sectors like ZDoom. And I really liked that fifth screen shot. It's a definite improvement over the third screen shot (which was also nice).

Spike said:

Your ego is surpassed only by your lack of resemblance to any aspect of the good things humanity has to offer.

No you are ^______________^

The thread started with a few non-enlightening positive comments, them some more skilled mappers saw the screenshots and the comments and said "what, I don't see anything great there!" That's it. In addition, advice isn't necessarily a requirement in a critique, since there's many ways to improve a map, many of which don't have to coincide with the critic's opinion. Either ignore the critique, or, if it feels well-founded somehow, look for new things to add or change, but do it yourself, looking at other maps, playing, chatting with fellow mappers, etc.

If you're going to take a critique so heavily then you should indeed either not make maps, not post screenshots, or not read the forums. And take a hint from what Shaviro said, if you don't like and enjoy making maps enough to be able to ignore of assimilate negative input, spend your time doing something else.

Underworld actually looks like it might be really cool. Some of the levels look quit good. The pics you posted in this thread were completely uninteresting though.

By the way, I'm hardly an "experienced" mapper, I've been mapping for about three years.