Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dobu gabu maru

The DWmegawad Club plays: Dark Scythe

Well I already wrote the first 20 writups for HR2... 

This looks interesting though, so I'll try and give it a go. Probably won't be all on the same days though, since I lost my little headstart. My HR2 bits will surely come in handy soon.

This whole chain of events has me reeling, great job dobu

edit: I may have missed it but just to be sure, these are Boom-compatible -complevel 9 maps, correct?

edit2: re-reading my original post it might be taken sarcastically, let me clarify I am very excited

edit3: god dammit dobu

Edited by DuckReconMajor

Could we just make HR2 May's pick without voting? In any case, I will be participating this month

I saw a post a little bit back hinting at something like this and thought "Could be Erik Alm, but no way!" Turns out I was right. I can't wait to play this.

EDIT:

Map01

This didn't look like a scythe map. There were too many colors imo, they kinda clashed. Also it lacked the free-flowing movement that the old scythes had. It was too cramped. I was just playing my way through and then...

Spoiler
Spoiler

APRIL FOOLS!

You really got me good. It dawned on me when I saw the intermission screen lol.

So are we playing HR2 this month, or are we still playing through all of this?

Edited by Arbys550

Oh ffs we've been had these are all Dead Simple maps!

The 'Eric Alm' was kind of a clue lol

Ah hell, he got me good.

So what is the regular part of map01 from?

So how deep does the prank run? is "Dark Scythe" a real thing that will happen eventually? Is Dark Scythe the real "Project Dark" or is this something more? Was the entire project dark thread just a lead up to this?

Edited by Snikle

The name and autorship of the project is real or it's part of joke too? I'm not asking about maps, because they are joke, obviously.

We can still do HR2 at the same time. :D

Map 01

Cute opener with a few "barbs", and a simple but fun twist towards the end.

A few points that grabbed my attention for one reason or another:

Why is it, that virtually every ~32 map project that aims to have progression across the maps cannot help itself when it comes to these plain boring time sinks which are the seemingly mandatory corridor/door pinkies? I will never understand what the big idea is with those things, they do nothing but waste time and soak up some ammo. Why not avoid those time eaters, and instead place a bit less ammo? Like, who's gonna take any damage from those things anyway? Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of traditions, this one though... Kill it with fire, nuke it, if that's what it takes. And you don't even provide a zerk/chainsaw/shotgun for that little shit to make it just a little less "time-wasty"? Come on, man!

Boring pistol "action" aside, once you're in the clear and relieved a shotgunner of his trademark weapon, the map starts to feel "actually dynamic™". The Rocket Launcher is well placed and encourages exposure to some "thorns" in order to gain quick access to desirable but at least slightly risky firepower. The lost souls seem to appear a bit late to the party, which kinda makes them being there a bit less relevant for rocket launcher use, so nuke the cacos and such fast, and then pepper the LSs.

The 2 revenants at the red key are a bit too tame for my liking. If you know they're there you can easily spam them down with 3-4 rockets, no repercussions whatsoever, and even when playing blind they're not particularly threatening. I think 3 revenants from 3 different angles on UV might be a whole lot more interesting, and actually threatening (albeit still very manageable) for that matter.

Yellow key trap was fun enough thanks to the slightly awkward terrain, and the baron is fine to deal with if you still have some rockets to spare, if you don't then this one might just be a bit on the chewy side.

On my way to the exit I notice a vile and some imps behind a fence, but didn't expect said fence to be "usable". Flicking the YK door open didn't trigger the vile and his crew either, so I try working the fence and to my surprise it works right away instead of being a secret of some sort. Good to know for UVmax routing, since grabbing the RL and then quickly dealing with AV + Imps might be a viable route for fastest possible overall killspeed. Speaking of "workable" midtextures, I wonder if that's how one gains access to the radsuit, and with any luck that secret might even by-pass that damn pinkie in the corridor, too.... Fingers crossed that it does, because I didn't check...

The exit fight is a fun diversion from how the rest of the map "behaved", and I kinda wonder why it isn't made more difficult or something, but then again, might as well keep it simple, because why not?

Gameplay in this one ranges from "Why do I do this again?" to "Okay, the map has its moments". Mixed bag for me personally, but a worthwhile appetizer nonetheless.

Visually it's clean, slick, with neat highlights where it matters.

MIDI choice isn't my cup of tea. I get why the MIDI is what it is, though. :P

40 minutes ago, esselfortium said:

BTW, I'm looking forward to seeing folks play through MAP23 -- it's a tricky one :)

Ask and you shall receive: DS23_NIH.zip

Fun map, cool solution to the problem. I like.

There's gonna be the real DWMC thread coming soon, right?

I mean, we're not actually playing Dead Simple clones for a month, are we?

2 minutes ago, Snikle said:

I mean, we're not actually playing Dead Simple clones for a month, are we?

I sure hope we are. There's some fun stuff to be found in these maps.

I sure hope we aren't. I mean it's a fun prank and all but the fact is most people voted for HR2, not a month of Dead Simple clones. Besides, it's April Fools Day, not April Fools Month

Oh shit, I just realized "Dark Scythe" can be abbreviated "D.S."

This really was planned from the start, wasn't it? Heh heh...