Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Deleted_Account

Mick Gordon’s Club House

This is a thread for Mick Gordon’s astonishing work on the musical score for Doom Eternal. What are your thoughts. Is the soundtrack for Eternal better, or do you feel like you enjoy the 2016 soundtrack better? Feel free to post your favourite tracks.

When I listen to the tracks on Youtube, or hear the ambient music during quiet moments in the game, it's fucking awesome shit. But I could swear that the combat music is mixed too low or something like that. Or maybe I don't notice the music as much because of the frenetic pace of the combat.

The ambient stuff is definitely a step up from the previous game. Very effective at conveying the atmosphere of the missions.

I think it’s because the players attention is focused on the circus like chaos of combat. But the music truly stands out and gets your heart pounding as you perform the dance of death. And I appreciate the ambient music that plays between battles. I feel it helps build up the tension of when the next confrontation is going to start.

I always got a major Q1/NIN vibe from the Doom Hunter base track. 

2 minutes ago, Job said:

I always got a major Q1/NIN vibe from the Doom Hunter base track. 

Yeah there are a few tracks I feel are inspired by Reznors Quake soundtrack. Super Gore Nest for example has a “yelling” sound similar to Reznor.

10 hours ago, User Name said:

Yeah there are a few tracks I feel are inspired by Reznors Quake soundtrack. Super Gore Nest for example has a “yelling” sound similar to Reznor.

Super Gore Nest reminds me more of Quake 2's soundtrack, which was done by Sonic Mayhem, rather than Quake's.

I have only played through the first two maps so far but so far I have preferred Doom Eternal's soundtrack to that of DOOM 2016, and consider the ambient music that plays in Exultia a big step up.  I appreciate the mood that it sets and the subtle nods to Doom 1/2 tracks.  In the "Exultia-Ambient (with choir)" I get slight vibes of "Sign of Evil" in parts of the track, as well as the more obvious nods to Doom 1's victory music.  There is also another ambient track that kicks in at times which uses the same chord sequences as are used in "Getting Too Tense", and I doubt that this is coincidental either.  The ambient music also reminds me of some of Aubrey Hodges's music for PSX Doom as well as Quake 1's ambient soundtrack.  As others have mentioned the more heavy-going metal stuff that kicks in during battles tends to blend into the background more than being "in your face" but I see this as a good thing as well, as again it helps to get the mood right during the often-frenetic battles.  

I still have a fair way to go in this game but so far in the first two levels Mick Gordon has really nailed it for me, finding his own sound which also draws inspiration from Bobby Prince, Aubrey Hodges and Nine Inch Nails.  "Call of Hell" also sounds impressive.

12 hours ago, NoXion said:

When I listen to the tracks on Youtube, or hear the ambient music during quiet moments in the game, it's fucking awesome shit. But I could swear that the combat music is mixed too low or something like that. Or maybe I don't notice the music as much because of the frenetic pace of the combat.

The ambient stuff is definitely a step up from the previous game. Very effective at conveying the atmosphere of the missions.

I couldn't agree more. Those ambient tracks mixed with some enviroments, just fit perfectly, like Taras Nabad or Urdak. But I think that the combat music is not as bright as it was in 2016. There are some good ones, of course, but for me, no one is memorable.

On a side note, it's a pity that bossbattle tracks are all kinda flat. Even in D2016. They deserved more love.

Edited by Martin-CAI

There isn't a single tribute to Running From Evil, is there?  I sure didn't hear one during my first playthrough.

I love the modernified version of Intermission from DOOM that sometimes plays when you win a Battlemode match.

28 minutes ago, Novaseer said:

I love the modernified version of Intermission from DOOM that sometimes plays when you win a Battlemode match.

2 hours ago, Chubzdoomer said:

There isn't a single tribute to Running From Evil, is there?  I sure didn't hear one during my first playthrough.

No D_Runnin? That’s a shame.

I enjoy both soundtracks equally.

there is a very short D_RUNNIN victory theme in battlemode, although i wish i would've heard it at least once in hell on earth

I haven't heard any remixes of "Running from Evil", but The Arc Complex plays "Dark Halls" (E1M3 from DOOM) as a ambient theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNxneaHtStM

If i have to pick one, i think this one is my favorite of the new tracks

I was digging thru the gamefiles and was able to find lots of short snippets of the classic soundtracks, i've also found short remixes of 'Running from evil', 'Intermission from doom', 'The demons from adrian's pen', and even 'sweet little dead bunny', i assume most of those play on battlemode (but i must admit i have no idea where the bunny song plays, it's really amusing)

I've also noticed several other 'cameos' of classic tracks in the main campaing, 'Dark halls' play during the ambient of the arc mission as people have been pointed out, doom 1 victory song plays out during the betrayer cutscene and on the cultist base you can hear a chant set to the tune of 'Sinister'. During sentinel prime you can hear parts of 'Sign of evil', this was interesting since on the last game you could also hear a chorous sing to the tune of 'Sign of evil'.

It's kinda a shame all those are small remixes about a minute long and the only 'full' track from the classics is 'opening to hell', i really wish some of those were longer (specially e2m2 since it sounds fantastic imo)

I feel like it was pretty good but totally lacked the impact/novelty that the previous one, which is understandable. I also found it less memorable despite being apparently more melodic, i think it should had more references to the Doom 2 soundtrack too. I really liked the one with the "angelic voices".

Defiantly feels like a step up compared to 2016, especially when it comes to the ambient tracks. I was one those few who liked 2016 OST, but did not think it was that amazing, excluding BFG Division.

1 hour ago, User Name said:

I'm pretty sure this is "Getting Too Tense". Lovely!

Yes, that first one is the segment from the ambient music that I heard in Exultia that uses the same chords as "Getting Too Tense".

Also playing in Cultist Base I thought I heard a very subtle reference to E1M2, The Imps Song, though more subtle than the one in DOOM 2016.

As a big fan of Doom 3, I liked this callback to the music in the game's opening.

I really like how eerie and unsettling the Urdak ambient track is too!

Really love the choir in the Gladiator's boss fight theme too. The choir in 2016's Damnation was my favourite part of that game's OST.