Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaZa

The DWIronman League dies to: Biotech is Godzilla & Occult Secrets

Well, good thing I didn't decide to play this earlier today! Hopefully I don't get screwed over by some custom monster or something, as that seemed to happen to me in the past with these projects.

Survived DBP22 in 1:40:12 Category 1.. Awesome wad, Played it slow cause the custom monsters seemed scary but I think I could of been a lot faster.. Also got lost for quite a while in a few of the maps so my time should be pretty bad ;p 

Ill play DBP21 later possibly or tomorrow, just wanted to post the survival for the first wad :D 

DWIronman-DBP22-dubz.zip

My first shot at the DWIronman! I played DBP21 and DBP22 for Category 1. I died on the first map of each, but at least I got fairly far in DBP21 before getting nailed by a stray projectile. I didn't fare nearly as well in DBP22, and the demo shows me freaking out right before getting slaughtered.

I'm looking forward to next month's, hopefully I manage to make it to the second map on the next one!

Ironman_DBP21_22_PRBoomPlus_dhippo.zip

- DBP21 Results

Spoiler

MAP01 (Died)

Time: 00:33:16

Monsters: 124/135

Secrets: 2/3

Items: 0/4 (Weird, I did pick up the Soulsphere so it should be at least 1)

Death by: Second Arachnotron I wasn't aware of, oooops.

- DBP22 Results

Spoiler

MAP01 (Died)

Time: 00:05:17

Monsters: 25/68

Secrets: 0/2

Items: 47/47

Death by: The Archvile stands alone.

Edited by Dieting Hippo : Adding Ironman run details.

Survived DBP21 in 1:59:57, Category 2 for this one as I saw Tezur0 play this wad a few weeks ago on Twitch.

Pretty much all DBP's I've played have been good, this one is no exception. Should mention I got very lost on a map again so time wise was pretty slow for this wad too... o well heh

DWIronman-DBP21-dubz.zip

So from my earlier post DBP22 was survived in 1:40:12 (cat 1) so total time is: 3:40:09..ya quite a long Ironman if you get lost like I did, otherwise I think you can expect to spend closer to 3 hours

Welp. I was planning to play DBP21 sooner or later anyway. I could've gained a Cat 2 advantage if I had done so. 

13 hours ago, NaZa said:

1. I would also like to ask @Catpho to keep the RC1 for Biotech and RC2 for Occult Secrets around even if the set gets updated to RC2 in the meantime, for the sake of playing back demos. Thank you in advance! 

No need to worry, because previous downloads are always kept at the bottom of the thread :) Having an ironman feature is a real honor though, so i'll keep the relevant RCs at the top for y'all.

Thanks for the feature @NaZa. On the krew's behalf i can say it means a lot to them! Have fun playing and dying everyone!

Setting a target for others to beat this early @Bdubzzz? Sportsmanlike. 

yynfsYX.png

Speed is 20 because demo playback. Duh.

Meanwhile here's an interesting run of the Occult Secrets of the Third Reich on Mars (category 2, of course) - despite beautifully catching a rocket while turning around on MAP08, I feel both immensely satisfied and underwhelmed.

• Why satisfied? I should've died on every map preceding it, starting from MAP05. I was able to cheat death so many times I lost count by the time I actually died.
  • Why underwhelmed? I'm fairly sure I was on marginally quicker pace than Bdubzzz heading into that wretched setup. 

In the end, despite my usual rambling about custom monsters, I really enjoyed this! The replacement monsters are very easy to understand and get used to (barring the Pain Elemental replacement which I glossed over about two times) Very colorful and enjoyable to play. Each map was somehow different and I especially enjoyed the "deadly things come in small packages" MAP06. Hopefully the experience will be the same when I delve into DBP22!

DBP21 - Died like a chump in map 6 cause me & Soulspheres are like crack.  I can't resist bullrushing them sometimes, hordes of enemies be damned.

DBP22 - Died at map 3's start.  Those custom imps are jerks, that is all.

DWIronman_DBP_AnimaZero.zip

This one, on the other hand, I don't know... Also category 2. I really love that Imps became one of the top priority monsters to kill. In essence, I really enjoyed that. It was quite a decent run up to M4 and I was setting up for the long haul, cue a mandatory jump off a cliff. Turns out there was a cyber baron, one of the monsters used here (which I don't like in any of its forms). I landed in front of it. I just saw two demons, a pink head, heard an explosion, and I lay down dead. Very odd. I was enjoying the map, though, don't get me wrong! Shoutout to MAP02 for being very exploratory based even though there was way too many midtextures.

Dead on MAP04, category 2.

dwironman_apr20_naza_22.zip

Demo: dbp21demo.zip (Category 1)

Used: Glboom+ 2.5.1.7um (complevel 2), RC2 of wad.

Dead in: Map 7 (reached at roughly around 1:00:00 mark)

I died at what was probably the last trap of the map. I regret not grabbing the invul.

On 4/2/2020 at 4:38 AM, Big Ol Billy said:

Hell yeah this is quite an honor! I’m gonna do my best to watch every playthrough, hope folks enjoy XD

Haha, please excuse the constant searching for secrets right in the middle of my playthrough.

Occult Secrets spoilers:

Spoiler

I thought I could find the Archvile killer secret a lot earlier than it seems it was located, so I spent a large chunk of time after the blue key trying to find it. I also didn't realize that the central room behind the bookcase had another path to take (to the area with the Gold Key door) so I found myself looking around to see if there were any other secrets missed. My long survival time on MAP01 is only owed to me pressing use on every wall I could find :P At least I got most monsters killed before I died!

DBP22 demo

Demo: dbp22demo.zip  (Category 1)

Used: Glboom+ 2.5.1.7um (complevel 2), RC2 of wad.

Dead in: Map 7 (reached at roughly around 1:30:00-ish mark)

Another Map 7 death and and that too towards the end trap again. I suck at BFG usage and I suck at dodging Cybie rockets, that is all.

Well, that didn't last as long as i'd hoped.  Cat 1 for both.

DBP21: dead on MAP02

DBP22: dead on MAP03

Megasphere woes contributed to both deaths.  My demise in DBP21 was especially embarrassing - should I get the powerup or get back to safety? Nah, let's take the 3rd option and slowly melt in something toxic.

DBP22 ended in a more unexpected death but I had every opportunity to avoid it.  Sigh.  Having said that, I was very fortunate to make it out of the first map.

Both maps were very interesting!

https://youtu.be/b9PE8Jk7BgI

https://youtu.be/wBCyYo88QDs

Demo's attached.

dwironman_dbp21_rc2_ozy.zip

dwironman_dbp22_rc1_ozy.zip

!goodatdoom

DBP21 Standard: Dead Map 01, Monsters Killed: 0/135

DBP21 Prepared: Dead Map 01, Monsters Killed: 0/135

I mean, you have to laugh really xD

Can't wait to see what DBP22 holds...

0horusironman_dbp21.zip

DBP22 Standard: Dead Map 03, Monsters Killed: 23

DBP22 Prepared: Dead Map 03, Monsters Killed: 35

Even though I was less than pleased with my manner of my Standard run death, I take solace in that I wouldn't have got much further anyway!

0horusironman_dbp22.zip

Cat 1 for both DBPs

1 hour ago, Horus said:

Finally @Pegleg has met their match.

Category 1 lol for both.

DBP21: dead on map06. I just don't know what went wrong.

DBP22: dead on map01. Got introduced to a modified baron in a (presumably) secret by getting shot in the back.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/583390355

Starts at 1:51:25 into the livestream, category 1 run for both wads.

DBP21: Died on map 1 due to the beginner's trap of throwing 4 Archviles at the player. (Yeah, don't play this map blind folks.)

DBP22: Died on map 3 due to a Revenant wanting to act like a Pinky and absorb a rocket from me meant for something else.

DBP21: Cat 1, Survived in 1:47:08.

Fun mapset, high emphasis on popcorn enemies is different. The second to last level got mean near the end.

Daerik_DBP21.zip

15 hours ago, Horus said:

!goodatdoom

Can't wait to see what DBP22 holds...

0horusironman_dbp21.zip

13 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

Finally @Pegleg has met their match.

Wow. Finally, a worthy competitor. After all this time...

Horus, sometimes stuff like that just happens. And the best way to handle it is just to laugh at it. Trust me.

I'd suggest IronEagle, but you already did your run for this month, so ... there's always next month.

Category 1

DBP 21

Dead on Map 01

Kills: 28/135

Time: 8:10

That was an interesting opening. Before things got going, I was just wandering around the level for several minutes, so the demo won't be the most exciting, but with all the talk about a difficult opening, I kept waiting for something to happen. While I was doing this, the ambient sound effects (without the background music) gave it a rather creepy atmosphere. It very much felt like a combination of Wolfenstein and Doom, which I think was the point.

DBP 22

Dead on Map 01

Kills: 1/68

Time: 1:21

To begin with, I think there is definitely a better way to proceed than what I ended up doing, which was run around and get trapped in a corner with only a pistol against more than one enemy. At least I took one out on my way down. I can't say much about the mapset other than it feels quite different from DBP 21. I'm not used to seeing flowers in a Doom map, although they looked bright and cheery, which was a nice change of pace.

dwi_pegleg_dbp2122_cat1.zip

DBP21 : Category 1.

Spoiler

Died on map 07, due to what I thought was a wall actually being a midtexture.
You know, midtextures don't protect from Arch-Vile blasts. :)

Cool stuff here, I've never been a huge fan of Wolfenstein 3D but this might be one of the best crossovers I've ever played.

Maps are good, I've had a good time. I thought Cyber-Hitler would be the final boss, but to my surprise you'll encounter him multiples times. Fun stuff.
Map 06's ending was cringe-worthy though.

DBP22 : Category 1.

Spoiler

DNF... Managed to get stuck on map 05.
A shame, I was having a blast with the set.

I'll properly report the bug.

I love this theme, this is certainly a project I'd have been glad to contribute to !
Gameplay is harsh, thanks to the custom enemies and to quite a few vicious moments, starting from that pesky Vile in map 01.

DBP21_RC2-Ironman-wh.zip

DBP22_RC1-Ironman-wh.zip

Both cat 1

Made it to m8 on DBP21, died to hitscanners peppering me in the feet while I dodged cyb rockets, and sort of fell in a toxic pit on m4 of DBP22 and couldn't get out, which is a shame, because I was taking it really steady, did not even come close to death at any point in the wad somehow until then.

21 was the most fun to play, 22 was very pretty but seems like some broken fights and

Spoiler

what looked like a broken death exit or something at the end of m3

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jnm84698383re1p/dtdbp21.lmp?dl=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cxwwhtmzmlqyvq5/dtgodzilla.lmp?dl=1