• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaZa

The DWIronman League dies to: Biotech is Godzilla & Occult Secrets

On 4/4/2020 at 8:06 PM, ReaperAA said:

Finally @Pegleg has met their match.

I would like to have a word with you.

Just made my run, died on MAP01 of both wads, once again haven't touched Doom in quite a while. In one of the demos I died with 0 kills in less than one minute :p . PrBoom, Cat 1.

demos.zip

FEUER FREI!

Mother of Fuhrers, DBP21 is awesome! That setting, design, visuals, levels, music, even level names are just decapitating. I liked 22th, but this one I enjoyed A LOT.

21: forgot that I need to dodge projectiles on MAP07 with 94/289 Totenkopfen at 1:17:40.

22: forgot that I need to dodge projectiles on MAP06 with 81/211 kills at 1:34:26.

Sum: forgot that I need to dodge projectiles with 11 survived maps at 2:52:06 (175/500 K).

Cat. I.

dwidbp_1.zip

Apologies for the lack of updates on the leaderboard. I must admit I was enjoying slacking off a bit too much over April. This will be updated today.

Next month will feature probably the most drastic change in technicalities yet and I'm not sure if it will be a good one, so it'll be sort of a one-off and a beta test for the future. 

I also failed to survive a single map

DBP21: MAP01 DEAD 73/135 62 0/4 1/3 12:37+00

I pressed a button. Four archviles appeared. I ran in the wrong direction I guess. I should have just kept going through the blue (silver?) door instead of back for secrets or whatever was in there. I mean it's not like you're not forewarned, you can hear the monsters, but for some reason I thought there was only one of them despite there being four cages. The rest of the map up to that point was not unfair. Although having to play wads with custom sprites/sounds/dehacked blind is annoying because you don't know what are collectible resources and what is just decoration, or the strength and capabilities of a monster which you've never seen before. Not that that was relevant here, it was plain old archvile spam to which I died.

DBP22: MAP01 DEAD 24/68 44 41/47 0/2 3:45+27

I dropped down into an arena. Almost immediately, an archvile teleported onto a central dais, and attacked. I had no time to react, or known safe location to escape to -- no time to look for one, even. All I could think to do was try to get "under" the line of sight, by hugging the platform, but it wasn't high enough. Without having played the map before, I'm not really sure what I am supposed to have done -- is it simply that I have slow reactions, and quicker-minded players would have spotted a better tactic? At least with the other wad this month I know what I did wrong.

Another stellar performance by yours truly, mirroring my last DWIronman attempt on Disturbia. 

I die on map 1, both wads and fairly early on. 

Not a fan of fighting midtiers without proper weapons and I should definitely pay more attention when playing blind. 

GG!

dwironman-dbp.zip

Here is my Category 3 submission.

dwi_pegleg_dbp2122_cat3.zip

DBP 21

Dead on Map 02

Kills: 28/75

Time: 30:54

I liked DBP 21. This is a really well-done melding of Doom and Wolfenstein. It looks good and it plays pretty good, too. The pain elemental replacement is definitely an interesting choice; the first time I played through I thought it was just an interesting decoration--that was a mistake. Ultimately, running low on ammo and health, I took a run at finishing off that "decoration" and caught a fireball from a Nazi Doctor as I was jumping off a ledge. Oh well. I don't know that I would've made it much farther anyway. At least my death would've looked cool, right? Maybe they even talked about it later.

"Did you see his flaming body flying through the air?"
"Yeah, Dave, that was awesome."

DBP 22

Dead on Map 01

Kills: 28/75

Time: 7:19

I did better than I did the first time, although that wouldn't be too hard to do better than 1 kill. Anyway, the rest of the map does a nice judge melding the tech and nature aesthetic. Ultimately, I met my demise at the hands of that arch-vile, although I knew it was there, so the fault is my own. It's not overly difficult to defeat, provided you can actually aim with your weapons and hit it. The rocket launcher is right there, and it's really helpful -- provided you can actually hit the target. In general, aim is good--and it definitely helps make sure you actually have ammunition to shoot at things, which I ended up without. In addition to poor aim, I managed to miss picking up a med-kit, right before getting hit by the arch-vile. Of course, even had I managed to not be killed by the arch-vile, I still would've had to figure out a way to successfully rush a chaingunner and chainsaw it do death without getting shot. And then there's the back expanse. It looks very nice, and plays very deadly.

I killed Hitler in the first wad (Survived in 3:04:21 on Occult) Does the end map count?

3:04:21

I died in map 03 on Biotech (Godzilla wad)

Dead on map 03

Cool wads. I love the theme of Biotech.

Category 1 for both wads.

Edited by Roofi

Leaderboard finally updated. I promise it won't take this long anymore.

Anyway... two more days to get the runs out! The runs I would like to see most are, for very obvious reasons, @Catpho and @Big Ol Billy's - formerly regular Ironmen in a familiar field! Of course, if you were to participate, I'd only expect the best - say, a survival in two hours. Am I asking for too much? ;) Glad to see familiar faces like loveless and joe-ilya back in the league as well. Also very pleased to see Pegleg finally rise above the coveted dreaded last place, but great results are accompanied by even greater expectations. Consequentially, I'm expecting at least a Top 20 next time around.

Out of the established frontrunners, @antares031, @leodoom85 and @Arbys550 still remain in contention, and with a good run, could shake up Bdubzzz's grasp at the top.

Ooh the gauntlet has been thrown down! I’m still crossing my fingers that I’ll sneak some runs in just under the deadline. We’re also getting DBP23 ready for a likely May 1 release, so things are hectic! But a little push helps with the motivation ;)

@NaZaas soon as my net is fixed on my home, I'll post the runs (obviously, I need to play the wads first)

Definitely didn't do as well as I had hoped. Category 1 for both. I died on map07 of Occult Secrets because I was going fast and wanted to win lol. Died on map06 of Biotech to some stupid room with damaging floor. So I guess that makes 11 maps survived overall for me.

occultironarbys.zip

biotecharbys.zip

Okay I just looked at my batch file and I realized I forgot to specify a skill level, so I might have been playing on Hurt Me Plenty the whole time. However I set the default skill level of prboom to ultraviolence so maybe it makes you play on the default skill setting? I don't know. I'll check now.

Edit: Lucked out, it put me on Ultraviolence by default.

Edited by Arbys550