Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr. Impso

small nitpicks?

On 4/1/2020 at 7:29 PM, User Name said:

I love Doom Eternal and have been playing nonstop. This is an absolute beast of game. One of the best Doom experiences ever.

The only actual nitpicks I have are the abundance of platforming. And the swimming sections in Taras Nabad. These are things that I feel could have been implemented better. I play on the PS4 and have encountered crashes from glitches and bugs. I’m sure those will be fixed in future updates.

I love the platforming stuff you can tell these guys were fans of Metroid Prime first game to get first person platforming right. Also Doom Eternal such an intense game combat is none stop when its on you stop moving your dead meat. It helps break up the insane battles that happen.

3 hours ago, Killer5 said:

Nitpicks (these are actually very serious problems):

- Tyrants should die to 3 crucible charges instead of 1 or be immune to crucible

- Tyrants should be buffed to be more agile, do more damage, attack more often

- Tyrants should be used in more clever ways than just dumped into the middle of an arena.. use them to block points of interest because they are so tanky (use monster block line esque techniques)

- There should be portals in arenas that do nothing cept spawn the marauder dogs while you deal with other monsters

- There should be fights with marauders where you have to also avoid the goo

- There should be a fight with 2 marauders

- There should be an arena where you have to use monkey bars/latching onto walls as your primary forms of movement/rest for dash charges (if you fall you get stuck in goo and 5 marauders spawn to kill you)

- There should be arenas which have viles blocked behind walls that do nothing but spawn monsters in the arena you are fighting in

- There should be versions of the arachnotron which cannot infight and have indestructible turrets so they can be used for nothing cept sniper monsters while you deal with other stuff

- On ultra nightmare all pits (anywhere you fall and have to be respawned somewhere on the map) should be insta-death and environmental hazards should do far more damage than they do now (such as those worthless lava fountain things in the big gore nest stage)

I will provide more 'nitpicks' as I think of them.

I started off agreeing with you and then got progressively more horrified. I was half expecting the final 2 points 2 be "there should be compulsory blur spheres" and "UNM should only have the microwave laser"

Not too sure how well a blur sphere would work in this game because monsters already shoot all over. Maybe if the blur sphere caused monsters to act very aggressive and random. Like.. barons start just throwing fireballs all over and jumping around doing their melee shit (but still in the vicinity of doomguy). 

As much as I would like to spread the microwave beam gospel I wouldn’t want to restrict people to only the microwave beam.

Make the final boss more involved how about if doomguy has to jump from rooftop to rooftop to hurt the icon of sin? Even the design of the icon is boring as hell, it's so lame.

50 minutes ago, Scrabbs said:

Make the final boss more involved how about if doomguy has to jump from rooftop to rooftop to hurt the icon of sin? Even the design of the icon is boring as hell, it's so lame.

No way! Having to fight various groups of demons as well as the Icon of Sin's own attacks is bad enough (from footage I've seen, not from personal experience) without throwing jumps, dashes, monkey bars and walls into the mix!

At first I really loved it. The fluidity of the combat, jumping around, constantly keeping your head on a swivel. Then I realized they just turned it into a fighting game, or Devil May Cry. I know a guy at work that loves fighting games, and Devil May Cry, and he can't stop talking about it. However he never really liked Doom before. That was when I realized it wasn't Doom. 

Having to resort to the chainsaw to get ammunition from zombies isn't Doom. Having to use a flamethrower to get armor isn't Doom. A constant stream of glory kills to get health isn't Doom. It just seems like lazy level design. And the levels look amazing, but if you can't do halfway decent item placement, and just require players to kill enemies in different ways to get supplies, it's not Doom. I'm not saying it's bad, but it really doesn't feel like Doom.

The original games were about being a Space Marine that could run around at 20 miles per hour while carrying hundreds of pounds of ammunition and weapons. They also had carefully thought out levels with well-placed supplies, and secrets to supplement them. Eternal throws that all out the window, and forces you to repeat the same glory kills and chainsaw kills over and over to replenish your supplies. They're neat animations the first time, but by the tenth time you've forced an Arachnatron's leg into it's eye, it gets old. My opinion is probably not a popular one, but I think they made some really bad design decisions on the game. For a game that want's to be so exciting, they really made it boring.

Edited by Jello

19 minutes ago, Jello said:

At first I really loved it. The fluidity of the combat, jumping around, constantly keeping your head on a swivel. Then I realized they just turned it into a fighting game, or Devil May Cry. I know a guy at work that loves fighting games, and Devil May Cry, and he can't stop talking about it. However he never really liked Doom before. That was when I realized it wasn't Doom. 

Having to resort to the chainsaw to get ammunition from zombies isn't Doom. Having to use a flamethrower to get armor isn't Doom. A constant stream of glory kills to get health isn't Doom. It just seems like lazy level design. And the levels look amazing, but if you can't do halfway decent item placement, and just require players to kill enemies in different ways to get supplies, it's not Doom. I'm not saying it's bad, but it really doesn't feel like Doom.

The original games were about being a Space Marine that could run around at 20 miles per hour while carrying hundreds of pounds of ammunition and weapons. They also had carefully thought out levels with well-placed supplies, and secrets to supplement them. Eternal throws that all out the window, and forces you to repeat the same glory kills and chainsaw kills over and over to replenish your supplies. They're neat animations the first time, but by the tenth time you've forced an Arachnatron's leg into it's eye, it gets old. My opinion is probably not a popular one, but I think they made some really bad design decisions on the game. For a game that want's to be so exciting, they really made it boring.

This is the way Doom is now, you'll have to get used to it.

Edit:  I have the retail version, which uses the Bethesda Launcher.  I launch the game with the launcher, and I run the Bethesda Helper with Administrator privileges.

• A few bugs:  One time after respawning in level 11, I could look around but was unable to move.  Using fast travel in the same level resulted in me constantly falling through the floor.  The game randomly crashed twice in my playthrough (once in level 9 and once in the last level).
  • Photo mode is glitchy.  Sometimes changing skins or poses through the photo mode menu doesn't work properly; the skins/poses keep resetting themselves (though using the G/H keys to change the pose still works).  Sometimes the photo mode menu stops responding to the mouse.  Sometimes the Depth of Field option doesn't work.
  • The Motion Blur and Chromatic Aberration settings keep randomly enabling themselves, even though I've disabled them and saved the settings multiple times.
  • The secrets were too easy to find, in the sense that I needed to check a walkthrough to figure out how to access only one of them (an area with locked gates in level 9).
  • The design of the obstacles, hazards, and pick-ups reminds me more of Mario or Sonic than DOOM.
Edited by TheUltimateDoomer666

10 hours ago, Foebane72 said:

I fully realized that when I was playing Eternal. And I had a huge hunch about it when playing 2016. Eh, I'll just go back to Doom 2 and it's countless user made levels. "Bye Doom, it was good to know you!".

I'm not saying Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal are bad games. They're just not Doom. Or they're the New Doom. At least there's still Dusk and Amid Evil.

Edited by Jello

10 hours ago, Jello said:

They're just not Doom. 

i Still keep seeing this parroted, yet no one has ever been able to objectively determine what "is or isn't Doom";

is it the speed? the repetitive jumpscares? having to use a flashlight without a weapon? glory kills?

"Doom Eternal isnt doom since i don't listen to UAC audio logs for 4 hours"

Doom has changed so much in the past 20 years and expecting it to be the same thing over and over when we moved from Doom 1 to 3 to 2016 is just asking to be disappointed. 

Edited by jazzmaster9

Just had not a nitpick, but a bug: I'm fighting in an arena after my first ever swimming session and a cutscene, and afterwards, I'm getting a couple of glowing areas and a LOT of demon screams, but nothing there. I think it's a bug in the game. It was driving me up the wall, but I had to quit anyway as I couldn't find the second of two punch buttons I need to hit to proceed.

On 4/15/2020 at 11:35 AM, Foebane72 said:

I'm sure the same was said about Doom 3 when it came out. Nothing is ever settled...

I'm not saying Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal are bad games. They're just not Doom. Or they're the New Doom. At least there's still Dusk and Amid Evil.

Thing is, not Doom is just not a very good argument, while there is some value to it (after all, you don't want Doom to turn into Kirby) most of it usually boils down to "it's not exactly like this" and doesn't hold much weight, it is more important to look at it for what it currently is than what it should be. That said it is still perfectly valid to disagree with what it currently is. It's like when SC Conviction was no longer pure stealth or when Bioshock Infinite was no longer an immersive sim "good for what it is, but not something I like or not what I'm looking for from it". game series just adapt with the times and need to expand their audience so inevitably there will be some people who don't like it.

Even if we remove the whole not Doom layer there will still be people that don't find this type of game as their cup of tea, just a matter of knowing what you like, while it doesn't hurt to try something new every now and then, it's not necessary and it's not guaranteed that you will like it (for example I can't stand Battle Royale games)

Edited by sluggard

5 hours ago, sluggard said:

Thing is, not Doom is just not a very good argument, while there is some value to it (after all, you don't want Doom to turn into Kirby) it doesn't hold much weight, it is more important to look at it for what it currently is than what it should be. That said it is still perfectly valid to disagree with what it currently is. It's like when SC Conviction was no longer pure stealth or when Bioshock Infinite was no longer an immersive sim "good for what it is, but not something I like". game series just adapt with the times and need to expand their audience so inevitably there will be some people who don't like it.

Even if we remove the whole not Doom layer there will still be people that don't find this type of game as their cup of tea, just a matter of knowing what you like, while it doesn't hurt to try something new every now and then, it's not necessary and it's not guaranteed that you will like it (for example I can't stand Battle Royale lol)

I think you got me mistaken for the poster who said "not doom".
But i agree that it shouldn't become too silly, a lot of us play it because they want their violent fix. It's rated M and been for a while...
It's not for kids. Too violent for that despite Hugo Martin wanting his 9 year old to play it(made him play 2016 when he was 5)

2 minutes ago, Deimos said:

I think you got me mistaken for the poster who said "not doom".

Yeah, I edited the post now.

Just now, sluggard said:

Yeah, I edited the post now.

I edited mine too, now we're stuck.

Glad this topic is here as I couldn't find anyone talking about this and I don't think it warrants it own thread. 

Anyway, Is there a way to save progress part way through a level AFTER you've "Finished" the game? I've got collectibles to find and Slayer Gates to do and I was maybe half way through the Cultist Base (which is a bloody long level) when I needed to stop playing so I quit to the main menu as I had all the way through the main game- it said progress would be saved, so I was  expecting when I re-loaded the save I'd be where I left it but no, I'm back on The Fortress of Doom.

The secrets etc.... that I'd found had been saved but my progress hadn't and now I've gonna have to slog through that level again. Did I miss how this works or is this just the way it is? 

There really should be a way to replay the Slayer Gates and the boss fights once you've beaten them.   The IOS fight is loads of fun on its own and it would be nice to load it up without having to battle through the entire level again.

Am I the only one who's playthrough is buggy as hell? Monsters constantly don't light up when staggered, crucible is almost unusable because more often than not it attacks some imp behind the cyberdemon I'm targeting. And lots of little stuff like blood punch not working when I'm inches from a cyber mancubus. Also the game stutters and lags a lot. And then there was a weird bug where a doorway in the fortress of doom was blocking me. I'm playing on xbox one, by the way, my laptop's not good enough to run it. The bugs put this game from a 9.5/10 down to a 8/10 for me.

I've encountered bugs like that too, though I forgot to mention them in my previous post.  The Fortress of Doom doorway bug in particular was rather strange.  I've also had Cacodemons glitch out and just sit around ignoring the Slayer.

Edited by TheUltimateDoomer666

Here's another one that needs to be said:

The Ripatorium completely and utterly sucks and is a pointless addition to the game.

Seriously, why does this thing even exist in its current state?  I can't think of so much as one good reason. 

You can only ever play it once in between missions unless you "cheese" the game by re-loading your checkpoint, and on top of that you have no control what-so-ever over the monsters you'll be facing or even the layout/theme of the arena itself.

Everything it does, the "Mission Select" feature does better.

By replaying missions, you at least have control over which monsters and arenas you'll be facing.  You can also do this as many times as you like before proceeding to the next story mission, without ever having to abuse the checkpoint feature.

Everything about the Ripatorium just screams "half-assed," and that sucks because it should ideally be an infinitely replayable, highly customizable practice arena to help hone your skills and add even more replay value to the game.

1 hour ago, Chubzdoomer said:

Here's another one that needs to be said:

The Ripatorium completely and utterly sucks and is a pointless addition to the game.

Seriously, why does this thing even exist in its current state?  I can't think of so much as one good reason. 

You can only ever play it once in between missions unless you "cheese" the game by re-loading your checkpoint, and on top of that you have no control what-so-ever over the monsters you'll be facing or even the layout/theme of the arena itself.

Everything it does, the "Mission Select" feature does better.

By replaying missions, you at least have control over which monsters and arenas you'll be facing.  You can also do this as many times as you like before proceeding to the next story mission, without ever having to abuse the checkpoint feature.

Everything about the Ripatorium just screams "half-assed," and that sucks because it should ideally be an infinitely replayable, highly customizable practice arena to help hone your skills and add even more replay value to the game.

I completely forgot about the Ripatorium until I read your post. Yeah it pretty much was a forgettable addition. It would of been cool if you were able to customize it, would of made for a decent substitute for the lack of SnapMap.

My biggest grips with DE had to be the low max ammo capacities, and the platforming. Although the platforming itself isn't bad and is even fun at times, I sometimes felt like the game had too much of it.

Was the Icon of Sin voiced by Romero himself or someone else instead?

They could have got Romero to even try and mimick the effect used for his original line.

More bugs/nitpicks (spoilers):

Spoiler
  • One time in the final level on Nightmare difficulty, I started getting attacked by a completely invisible Cacodemon (it could still be damaged, at least).
  • Also on Nightmare difficulty: In the cutscene in the final level where the Icon of Sin walks through the skybridge, the Icon of Sin was invisible.
  • Sometimes when I select a Slayer skin and a pose where he is holding the shotgun, the shotgun turns invisible.
  • The unlockable DOOM and DOOM II games seem like a last-minute or untested addition due to their bugginess.  The colors look washed out, the audio pops and has glitches (e.g., the chainsaw attack sound doesn't interrupt itself), and some of the music tracks are wrong (E3M1 plays E1M5's music, and the DOOM II intro is replaced with "The End of DOOM").
  • Sometimes the Crucible ignores the large monster I was aiming at and trying to attack and makes me jump to some nearby zombie instead, wasting a pip.  This presumably can happen on any difficulty, though it started annoying me on Nightmare.

I loved the game on the whole, but there were definitely some annoying aspects I would prefer curbed or removed.

- The dash boost is idiotic. If your gap is too big, change the layout. Having to dash a few more times on a given jump adds nothing to the gameplay.

- The monkey bars are more gimmicky than good. They could have made sense in some area of like say damaged structures with bits pointing out you can grab onto. They just feel more like a platform game throwback and out of place most of the time.

- The fireball shooters also feel more like something out of a platform game

- Not all the platforming was terrible, but it definitely crossed the line into annoying at times. Some parts felt more like they did it because they could, not because it was actually logical to do so.

- Low ammo capacities to force the gameplay loop. You could have easily doubled those capacities and still made the loop a necessity. As awkward as it is at first, it is fun when you get into the rhythm.

- And yes, fuck the purple goo. Probably the single biggest case of a developer sabotaging a game's core ideals that I can recall.

I don't mind failing if my skills fail me, that makes me want to keep at it. But dickish fight and level design gets on my nerves (which is why I hate both Plutonia and parts of Doom 64). Eternal level design does swerve into dickish territory at times, but fortunately on the whole the extreme good makes the bad bearable.

Edited by Murdoch

2 hours ago, Vic Vos said:

Oh, the humanity!

It was Hugo all along! Spilling purple goo in martian outposts!

I don't like the purple goo either but at least it looks cool.

On 4/15/2020 at 6:15 AM, Jello said:

Yeah, pretty much.

On 4/16/2020 at 3:07 AM, jazzmaster9 said:

i Still keep seeing this parroted, yet no one has ever been able to objectively determine what "is or isn't Doom";

is it the speed? the repetitive jumpscares? having to use a flashlight without a weapon? glory kills?

"Doom Eternal isnt doom since i don't listen to UAC audio logs for 4 hours"

Doom has changed so much in the past 20 years and expecting it to be the same thing over and over when we moved from Doom 1 to 3 to 2016 is just asking to be disappointed. 

It is the level design to say one thing, they changed everything. 
To put something an example of something that i liked but then it was changed, when you start Doom Eternal enemies are already in place, that makes the levels feel more alive and it was something that the original Doom did, then they start teleporting, you get arenas and lock downs.
They went over the top with the "verticality" which is made even more annyoning with the platforming, there are almost no items to pick around because everything is given by the enemies and the whole system of killing them to get resources is not fun, they make everything more complex than it needs to be, the mods for weapons are another pointless add on because only one for each weapon is useful.
They changed and added a lot of things but i think they should had just modernize everything