Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Foebane72

BAFTA Games Awards 2020 - What a fing joke!

Recommended Posts

Should definitely have won the Technical Achievement award.

Share this post


Link to post
39 minutes ago, Foebane72 said:

What sort of games awards are these?

Award for games released in 2019 would be my guess...

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

So let's make a BAFTA 2020 with only 3 months of 2020.

It's how it's always done, you wait until December/ January to propper award the games at 2020

Share this post


Link to post

Fing? That means "fart" in Hungarian 

 

IDK, this makes the title even funnier 

Share this post


Link to post

You know these awards are a joke when you see Death Stranding winning something...

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, ZeroMaster010 said:

Award for games released in 2019 would be my guess...

 

10 hours ago, jamondemarnatural said:

So let's make a BAFTA 2020 with only 3 months of 2020.

It's how it's always done, you wait until December/ January to propper award the games at 2020

 

As I remember, Hollywood does it all the time with the Oscars. Their "posh" movies come out in December and January, and they lavish them with awards just a few months later.

 

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/3/2020 at 10:39 AM, Kaos said:

You know these awards are a joke when you see Death Stranding winning something... 

 

So you are saying that Death Stranding is not a technical achievement? That would be rather silly.

You don't need to be a fan of the game (I am not for example), to realise that it is technically very accomplished.

Share this post


Link to post

In which way? Because of the shared progression system?

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

These are all 2019 games. BAFTA awards 2019 games but calls it 2020, because that's the year in which the awards are given out. My guess is that Doom Eternal will be mentioned at the very, very least in next year's BAFTA awards.

 

Quote

The Bafta winners in full were:

Animation: Luigi's Mansion 3

Artistic Achievement: Sayonara Wild Hearts

Audio Achievement: Ape Out

British Game: Observation

Debut Game: Disco Elysium

Evolving Game: Path of Exile

Family Game: Untitled Goose Game

Game Beyond Entertainment: Kind Words (Lo Fi Chill Beats To Write To)

Game Design: Outer Wilds

Multiplayer: Apex Legends

Music: Disco Elysium

Narrative: Disco Elysium

Original Property: Outer Wilds

Performer in a Leading Role: Gonzalo Martin (Life is Strange)

Performer in a Supporting Role: Martti Suosalo (Control)

Technical Achievement: Death Stranding

Mobile Game of the Year (Audience Vote): Call of Duty Mobile

Best Game: Outer Wilds

 

Edited by Phobos Anomaly

Share this post


Link to post
59 minutes ago, Phobos Anomaly said:

These are all 2019 games. BAFTA awards 2019 games but calls it 2020, because that's the year in which the awards are given out. My guess is that Doom Eternal will be mentioned at the very, very least in next year's BAFTA awards.

 

 

 That win for Luigi’s Mansion 3 for animation was so deserved. Doubly so when you realize it was on Switch.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Yeah its cack. Another attempt at the BBC trying to be cool.

 

EDIT: This statement is complete bobbins. The BBC have noting to do with the BAFTA's. 

Edited by Eurisko

Share this post


Link to post

 

2 minutes ago, Eurisko said:

Yeah its cack. Another attempt at the BBC trying to be cool.

No, the OP is just confused. These are awards for 2019 games.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Phobos Anomaly said:

 

No, the OP is just confused. These are awards for 2019 games.

 

Oh lol, I should've checked the link, my bad. Though those awards have been going for over 15 years and not many even care that it exists. 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Eurisko said:

Yeah its cack. Another attempt at the BBC trying to be cool.

 

The BBC are trying to be cool by reporting on BAFTA's awards ceremony?  What are you smoking?

 

Personally I think it's a very solid list.  Nice to see the BAFTA jury awarding a wide variety of titles, and not caught up on solely AAA releases.  

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Kaos said:

In which way? Because of the shared progression system? 

 Have you looked at it? Everything in the game that one could file under technical is very well executed.

Edited by ptoing

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

 

20200406_032827.jpg.45e3bea1888e9715f34595cf5dbe4c57.jpg

 

I take it you were too busy getting riled up to notice this but it's taken from the website you linked.

 

The year on BAFTA means the year the BAFTA happened, not the year it covered.

Share this post


Link to post

I never kept up with the BAFTA game awards. But I always had this idea that they were focused solely on British and European productions, not worldwide stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, mrthejoshmon said:

 

20200406_032827.jpg.45e3bea1888e9715f34595cf5dbe4c57.jpg

 

I take it you were too busy getting riled up to notice this but it's taken from the website you linked.

 

The year on BAFTA means the year the BAFTA happened, not the year it covered.

 

I said this earlier but very few people apparently took notice

-_-

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Award ceremonies like the BAFTA, Oscars, Academy Awards, and the like are a fucking burning corpse in a 55 gallon drum. Senseless feel-good designed by the devs for the devs to create another marketing gimmick to sell games and movies. Hardly any of these have any REAL input from the audience this media is trying to reach. I don't give ad revenue or view counts to these shows because they are empty, hollow, and FAKE.

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, ptoing said:

 Have you looked at it? Everything in the game that one could file under technical is very well executed.

Yes, but the only thing I can remember are monster energy cans.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, warman2012 said:

Award ceremonies like the BAFTA, Oscars, Academy Awards

 

You know the latter two of those are the same thing?

 

Overall while I agree the American movie awards have become as much a marketing gimmick than a real awards ceremony, the BAFTA Game Awards don't feel like that.  The ceremony is usually small and simple, there's little glamour around it.  It's just devs and publishers coming together to vote on their favorite games.  Personally I find it interesting to see what the industry particularly liked because it can hint at what will influence the devs in the coming years.

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Bauul said:

 

You know the latter two of those are the same thing?

 

Overall while I agree the American movie awards have become as much a marketing gimmick than a real awards ceremony, the BAFTA Game Awards don't feel like that.  The ceremony is usually small and simple, there's little glamour around it.  It's just devs and publishers coming together to vote on their favorite games.  Personally I find it interesting to see what the industry particularly liked because it can hint at what will influence the devs in the coming years.


Yeah, BAFTA it's really friendly on marketing and memes.

It's like to get on the point of the awards, a nice talk with devs/studio and go on.
Not like the games awards

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Bauul said:

 

The BBC are trying to be cool by reporting on BAFTA's awards ceremony?  What are you smoking?

 

Personally I think it's a very solid list.  Nice to see the BAFTA jury awarding a wide variety of titles, and not caught up on solely AAA releases.  

 

You know what.LOL! For some reason I though at the time of writing that that the BAFTA's were the doing of the BBC. Their not are they...... Maybe it was the link that made me think this I don't know. 

I wasn't smoking anything either which makes the comment all the more bizarre. One of those moments I guess.

However, I do find the BAFTA's a very irrelevant deal.  

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×