Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xymph

DoomWiki Month in Review (Issue #19)

The wiki has been extremely active recently, with a flurry around Doom Eternal. Still, I feel like more could be done.

Notably, to fill the DE (and Doom 64: Lost Levels) page, we could use screenshots. I wonder if perhaps it'd make sense to create "Share your screenshots" thread in the various newfangled Doom forums? With the simple rules that any screenshot posted can be uploaded to the wiki, and should have a quick description line saying what it is that is captured exactly.

What else. Oh yeah, I made sure that for the codepointer pages, all the corresponding pages on the ZDoom Wiki had a Doom Wiki link. E.g. A_BabyMetal on the ZDoom wiki links to A_BabyMetal on the Doom Wiki. On the Doom Wiki itself, I added the links to the corresponding pages on the ZDoom and Eternity wikis. (I checked the other port wikis -- Doomsday, EDGE, Legacy, Odamex -- and they didn't seem to have codepointer articles.) @printz do you think the EE wiki could likewise link back to the Doom Wiki?

On 4/3/2020 at 1:47 PM, Xymph said:

How is everyone? Hope you're well, or least humming along as well as the one true wiki has during the past month. Lots of new DE content of course, and then some:

Just a little too late for the heap of articles i made at the end of this week :)

Through this i want to say, Xymph, thank you for hovering over my works for that all important spelling check and template usage. I actively apply the lessons made there.

47 minutes ago, Gez said:

The wiki has been extremely active recently, with a flurry around Doom Eternal. Still, I feel like more could be done.

Notably, to fill the DE (and Doom 64: Lost Levels) page, we could use screenshots.

Sadly my contributions are less... in the spotlight, sort to say. I fill up the gaps in the history for the most part, not introduce things that are current. I have noticed that heavy influx though, so for the people on Doom Eternal: Thank you for writing in!

With the simple rules that any screenshot posted can be uploaded to the wiki, and should have a quick description line saying what it is that is captured exactly.

Preferably a line dictating which licensing should be used, if people are going to submit user made screencaps.

What else.

A lot of behind the scenes work in various stages of progression, id say. Part of the fun is dregging up forgotten histories and Doom vets sure have a lot of thoughts to share about that. All in due time...

15 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

Preferably a line dictating which licensing should be used, if people are going to submit user made screencaps.

No, this would be exactly the kind of hassle a "share your screenshots for the wiki" should definitely not have. The license is dictated by the game. No more, no less. If these terms are not agreeable to you, do not upload your screenshot in the "share your screenshots for the wiki" thread.

31 minutes ago, Gez said:

No, this would be exactly the kind of hassle a "share your screenshots for the wiki" should definitely not have. The license is dictated by the game. No more, no less. If these terms are not agreeable to you, do not upload your screenshot in the "share your screenshots for the wiki" thread.

I was going by the dropout menu when you upload an image.

To be fair, these templates could use some form of highlighting. When you are at Entryway, the best one can find in a glance is a small section under ''Useful Articles'' - I can imagine that this will be easy to miss for most users, positioned as it is right now.

2 hours ago, Gez said:

What else. Oh yeah, I made sure that for the codepointer pages, all the corresponding pages on the ZDoom Wiki had a Doom Wiki link. E.g. A_BabyMetal on the ZDoom wiki links to A_BabyMetal on the Doom Wiki. On the Doom Wiki itself, I added the links to the corresponding pages on the ZDoom and Eternity wikis. (I checked the other port wikis -- Doomsday, EDGE, Legacy, Odamex -- and they didn't seem to have codepointer articles.) @printz do you think the EE wiki could likewise link back to the Doom Wiki?

I can do that. Eternity's wiki even has a shorthand markup for Doom Wiki and even Wikipedia. But it would be extremely tedious to visit every codepointer page and update it. I'll probably update them as I visit them, over the time.

6 hours ago, Gez said:

Lost Levels

I dunno how to take automap screenshots, otherwise I would have filled the pages + additional walkthrough since I've just finished the episode.

9 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

To be fair, these templates could use some form of highlighting. When you are at Entryway, the best one can find in a glance is a small section under ''Useful Articles'' - I can imagine that this will be easy to miss for most users, positioned as it is right now.

When you upload a file, a there's a "licensing" drop-down list that is fed from here.

9 minutes ago, Gez said:

When you upload a file, a there's a "licensing" drop-down list that is fed from here.

I know that. That's not the point. Thanks anyway :)

On that note though, i only this coincidentally, but the list in the menu is not complete - GPL v3 actually has a separate template if i remember correctly (despite the GPL v2 template having the "and later" part attached to it)

1 hour ago, Redneckerz said:

the list in the menu is not complete

It only has the more commonly used options because people seemed to find it bloated and intimidating as it grew. If you're studying a Mint OS demo editor dually licensed with BSD and MIT, you'll have to paste the boilerplate in manually. :>