Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lizardcommando

What was the first Doom source port you have used?

For me, it was Doom 95.

I was using that for nearly a year, and then I eventually discovered Doom Legacy, EDGE, ZDoom, Skulltag, ZDaemon and GZDoom. I used Zandronum for a little bit, but there were never any deathmatch servers that weren't overloaded with random Doom mods. I also played with Odamex but the server listings always seemed empty, but maybe I always picked bad times to find games.

DOOM95. In childhood I played it with my friend who liked use IDDQD cheat and fire with pistol only to save ammo xD At a conscious age, I first played on the console via PSXDoom in 2008.

upd: The most amazing thing is that he somehow found Master Levels. In Russia, at the beginning of the 2000s, there was a particularly difficult economic situation and 95% of the products of the gaming industry were distributed through illegal sales of discs. And he somehow found this mappak Master Levels. Many years later, I showed him the original levels from DOOMU and DOOM2, but he did not recognize them. But playing in Master Levels, I barely pulled him from the computer.

Edited by DOOMGABR[RU]

the first one i remember being excited about was doomGL. but my onboard ati chip had poor opengl support and so did my follow up s3 savage 4. finally when i got a geforce2 gts i was able to play doomgl but by then the original zdoomgl had appeared. oh the good old days lol. 

Doom95 when I was a wee lad! Quit for years, then came back winter of 2018 using GZDoom. Primarily use PrBoom+ now.

1 minute ago, lazy91geek said:

Doom95 when I was a wee lad! Quit for years, then came back winter of 2018 using GZDoom. Primarily use PrBoom+ now.

I actually might've used D95 as the first port too. I remember messing with the shareware version, which came with the port.

I do not count DOOM95.

Regardless, DOOM Legacy was my first. The DOS executable, which labelled itself "doom3.exe". Cheeky, thought my 19 year-old self. I played it a LOT, and the old, OLD CajunBot .exe derived from it with some deathmatch arenas I made myself (which are sadly lost to the aether, being a fair few computers ago).

played the game throught Doom 95 for quite some years back in late 2010, think I even had gzdoom toward those years (or later), but I never really used it as often as I do today.

I also don't count Doom95 (nothing against it, it was just so universal that'll be most of the responses I think)

Aside from that, I played Doomsday/jDoom for the longest time, playing a lot of Heretic and Ultimate Doom, before eventually finding ZDaemon.

Huh, I expected way more GZDooM (or any, lul), but maybe everyone here is an old codger. Well, that was it for me, GZDooM, as it probably is for anyone kinda new-ish to DooM.

I believe it was Doom95 at a babysitter's computer when I was 5

The first one I got on my own is IIRC is Doomsday, with Doom64 TC.

My first Doom source port was Skulltag version whatever it was at the time of my join date. I had Ultimate Doom earlier, but my computer then was on Win 3.1 so no Doom 95.

Boom. But when I became an early adopter of NT for domestic use (in the form of Windows 2000) that went out of the window and I started using ZDoom instead.

Doom95, then the first (open source) versions of Linux Doom, back then without any sound. Followed by Boom.

Doom 95! It was my first contact with Doom, the shareware wad on the old family computer, my uncle had a bunch of things in there and Doom 95 was amongst them, I was 4, I actually barely knew how to read, just been opening random folders, but the icon caught my attention and I managed to play the game from there.

If we talk about the freeware source ports that are not official, it was Risen 3D, I liked the launcher so I jus picked it when I saw it.

Surprised at how many people used Doom95 as their first source port. I also used Doom95 the first time I ever played Doom, around 200-fucking-5. My memory is incredibly hazy, but I vividly remember that's the first time I ever played Doom, that it ran on Doom95, and that it was a shareware copy, and that both came in one of those compilation CDs full of shareware and freeware games that they sell for 5 bucks a pop at super markets, and they came attached to a small magazine that had little descriptions of each game included.

Just thinking about it has made me all nostalgic and sentimental, those were the absolute best. Lots of crap games, but also lots of more obscure titles I would have otherwise never heard about, like Abuse, or C-Dogs. But I digress.

Played through DOSBox for a long time around 2014 because I had no idea sourceports existed! Later, I got ZDoom 2.7.1 and dabbled around with some mods, good times. Not sure if it counts, but I played the GBA version of Doom 1 before that.

Now I'm running modless either ZDoom32 or Zandronum most of the time (Yeah, ZDoom is heresy bla bla bla).

DERAILMENT IMMINENT:

48 minutes ago, HorrorMovieGuy said:

Abuse

man i tried playing that recently, someone made a sourceport but i just cant get it to play for longer than a few moments so i deleted it. it's an alpha version so i don't hold it against the developer.

Doom95
I still can remember that Cacodemon icon on my Desktop and the weird image of a Cyberdemon shooting Doomguy in an Earth's landscape

Then I used ZDoom and the ease to open WADs blew my mind. Before ZDoom I never have played a Doom mod. (At least not official, I still remember installing and playing Heretic, which was awesome as hell)

ZDoom. Late 2000's. I didn't play much though tbh as i only had a few older laptops and by old i mean Pentium 3 and than 4 old. I was a console gamer pretty much all my life, except for a few years in the early 2000's when my parents received a hand-me-down PC (Packard Bell) from my uncle and then they finally bought a brand new one pretty quickly after that since the old one was super slow. The old one might have had Windows 95 but i'm not sure. The new one (Gateway) definitely had Windows ME on it. I just remember playing The Sims and Midtown Madness a lot. Oh and that Pinball game too.

I wasn't really allowed to play Doom as a "kid" but by the time i was 11 going on 12 i was playing GTA III so...dunno what happened there lol.

Edited by CyberDreams

Holy fuck, Doom95 for me too. I guess MS’s plan to bolster the Windows95 sales figures by boasting about Doom95 was a success after all!

I first played the vanilla exes for a couple years, but Doom95 felt like a huge improvement solely because of the higher resolutions. I still played most wads I managed to find in the vanilla Doom2 exe since it could load multiple files though, and I didn’t realise Doom95 would accept any iwad, since it came with Ultimate Doom.

In my endless Yahoo searches for “play doom online”, “doom multiplayer” etc I had somehow heard about XDoom and tried to find it, not realising it wasn’t even for Windows, so it’s probably best I never got my hands on it..

My first real source port was ZDoom back in 2001, shown to me by Hellbent (Grotug) and r back on one of the oldest versions of Doom Connector. My first ever real online deathmatch was using ZDoom to play an early beta of Greenwar.wad, which went on to become one of the most popular DM wads of all time. I absolutely loved it!

From there I got CSDoom, ZDaemon, then Legacy, and Skulltag was really starting to come into its own, and the journey just kept expanding from there on out.. Excellent times.