Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lizardcommando

What was the first Doom source port you have used?

I remember the first one was ZDoom back in 2017, then when i'm started making levels, i switched up to PrBoom+ and now i'm using Crispy Doom just for nostalgia purposes with a bit of enhances.

On 4/3/2020 at 12:03 PM, Lizardcommando said:

For me, it was Doom 95.

I was using that for nearly a year, and then I eventually discovered Doom Legacy, EDGE, ZDoom, Skulltag, ZDaemon and GZDoom. I used Zandronum for a little bit, but there were never any deathmatch servers that weren't overloaded with random Doom mods. I also played with Odamex but the server listings always seemed empty, but maybe I always picked bad times to find games.

ZDoom, doom95

Doom 95, but when it comes to source ports made by community members, the first one was ZDoom.

Barring the original executable back in the 90s, only ever used GZDoom. Won't touch other ports unless testing a map, or if the mapper specifically requests it.

Lots of Doom95 responses.  I didn't realize just how many Doom veterans there are in this community.  But as my friend said a while ago, we're married to this game.

9 minutes ago, Kor said:

Lots of Doom95 responses.  I didn't realize just how many Doom veterans there are in this community.  But as my friend said a while ago, we're married to this game.

Everyone I knew just used the DOS EXE on W95 because D95 was..  not very good.  It had some nice stuff about it though.

My first experience with the game was through the original DOS exe in the early 00s.

Although if we talk about source port strictly, I think the first source port I tried was either ZDoom 2.7.1 or GZDoom (1.8.6 I think). I also used PrBoom+ 2.5.1.3 around that time.

7 minutes ago, Gibbon said:

Everyone I knew just used the DOS EXE on W95 because D95 was..  not very good.  It had some nice stuff about it though.

Yeah even though it had high resolution I only used it for a short time then got back to Doom in DOS mode.

Assuming we’re not counting Doom95, the first actual source port from the community I used was jDoom (Doomsday Engine for you younger folk), around the early-mid 2000s. At the time I was all about the graphical enhancements it brought to the table, plus mouselook etc. The fact there were also versions for Heretic and Hexen was a major selling point as well.

I have vague memories of installing Doom Legacy at some point when I was younger, but at that time I was still just using the DOS executable and didn’t really understand or appreciate the benefits of a source port.

These days my preference is for a much more vanilla-esque experience and I’ve not touched Doomsday for getting on twenty years.

Either ZDoom or Skulltag. Almost certain it was the latter.

Technically SNES doom is a sourceport I think. Only forward facing sprites so a monster facing away looks like it's looking at you, no infighting but monsters get damaged by projectiles of the same monster type, nightmare lacks respawning monsters, less monsters placed overall even on UV, either the controls or its just my keyboard don't allow strafe running, weapon damage is rebalanced, the shotgun only fires one strong pellet so it's basically a rifle, the cyberdemon has a melee attack for whatever reason, lots of other small changes. Was my first so the snes version of the midis are still like the real version to me.

My first version was the SNES port, but my first source port was Doom95. For some reason I didn't know how to use ZDoom/Skulltag back when I was way too young, so I got Doom95 on a Windows 7 pc running with completely glitched visuals. Some months later I learned how to properly use ZDoom and got to play Doom 2 properly.

On 4/3/2020 at 9:57 PM, Pechudin said:

Huh, I expected way more GZDooM (or any, lul), but maybe everyone here is an old codger.

Firmly in the 'old codger' camp... It would be interesting to do some sort of graphing of age (x) against member count(y). Could go to town on correlating things like first port used against this as well, or favourite megawads against age...

ahem.. Anyway - Yep, Doom95, and then probably an early version of zdoom 

I am also the "old fart" crowd, I started mapping on the OG Doom 2 source and remember the amazement in the late 90s when Team TNT's Boom engine eliminated the "visplane overflow" crash lol

Edited by Cheesebone

To me the term "source port" refers to a port based on released source code. Doom 95, SNES Doom, Playstation Doom etc are all just ports.

Cheesebone: It isn't a crash. The visplane count is tested for and this is the expected behaviour. It exits with an error message.

My first taste of doom was probably either Doom 1 or Doom 2 when messing around with a GBA Emulator, but in terms of what people typically call a "source port" it was likely either Zdoom or Skulltag back around 2013/2014.

ZDoomGL, ca. 2006. Then it ceased keeping up with ZDoom. I didn't want to use software rendering and GZDoom didn't run on my PC back then, so I switched to Skulltag, which was keeping up relatively well with ZDoom back then and featured the ZDoomGL renderer. Then they switched to the GZDoom renderer, so I had no choice but to use plain old ZDoom and get used to the weird Y-shearing. (And then I got a new PC that could run GZDoom.)

I'm an old fart so I played Doom as a kid using the original executable back in 1995. I tried some mapping with EdMap at that time with terrible results. But when I got Duke Nukem 3D I moved on from Doom.

Then in 2010 I came across Doomsday Engine. I don't remember how I found that but this is where my "modern" journey with Doom began. I discovered idgames archives and I was amazed by the amount of maps ready to play. Then I found out that Doomsday is not compatible with many of them so I learned about other ports. I actually never came back to Doomsday. Today I use mostly Eternity Engine and GZDoom but I have most major ports installed.