Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lizardcommando

What was the first Doom source port you have used?

PrBoom+, because it's a dependency for Freedoom on Debian. Yes, I started my Doom hobby from Freedoom, though I played a few Doom levels when I was a kid.

Doom95 for me. When I played a version that works on Windows 10 recently it was surprisingly nostalgic seeing the wide weapon sprites and hearing the low pitched sounds. Might have to go through the iwads some time with it. 

GZDoom was my first sourceport I ever used. Mainly because of how easy it was to set up and instantly play.

Nowadays I use more vanilla accurate sourceports like Crispy Doom or Woof with Doom Launcher.

I still occasionally use GZDoom if a certain mod or wad requires it.

Not including the original DOS version or the Unity port, that would be GZDoom. After a few months, I switched over to PrBoom+ because GZDoom couldn't run big maps like Holy Hell.

I grew up in the early 2000's so I ended up playing a lot of classic shooters in middle/high school. Doom however, I think I first played online in a flash port on newgrounds when I was in elementary school, which had the shareware for doom 1, heretic, and hexen. I think early middle school I had my moms windows 7 laptop with steam, and I bought the dos version of the ultimate doom. I messed around with an old windows XP pc around that time too that I installed linux onto, and on one of the free game pages I found, I downloaded Chocolate Doom with a copy of Freedoom Phase 1 installed. 

After that, I went back to running XP, I'm not sure if it was on the same computer or another desktop that I found, but after looking for free games to play, I found MM8BDM and fell in love, and then after messing around with the files I realized it was running Zandronum, and that I could load my Doom 1 wad from steam onto it, and from there I got into the doom community by late middle school. 

I played Knee Deep in the Dead a whole bunch as a kid, but it took me until basically high school to have a good enough pc and the money for the wads to play through the rest of the doom games. 

GZDoom for about 6 months, then tried prboom+ and haven't looked back. I am a stickler about things like complevels now.

ZDoom when it was still supported (This was around 2012), I remember being blown away at how smooth it was over the DOS version. Then I tried doomsday, which I loved even more because of how nice it looked.

My first source port was Skulltag in 2010. I never played DOOM before, but I played the Mega Man games in 2009 / 2010. When I discovered Mega Man 8-bit deathmatch as a doom wad, I tried it out.

I had then Skulltag, later Zandronum and GZDoom.

For my very first playtrough of the DOOM games in 2014, I used Chocolate Doom.

Doom 95 in a cyber-cafe near (nowdays closed lol) to my house, although the first one made by community was DS Doom (Based on PrBoom) with a Counter-Strike Mod heh

Nowdays I use Doom Retro, Doom Unity and LZDoom.

JDoom. I was amazed by the dynamic lights and to be able to look straight up/down with mouselook, without seeing the screen stretching up and down. I remember it running really choppy on my crappy notebook back in 2006/08, even on lower settings lol

Nowadays, I play it through LZDoom at a cute and crispy 262x163 resolution 

Doom 95. was the first source port where I played doom, that was a long time ago... when I played Doom again this time I played it in zdoom(GZdoom had already come out but I didn't know it yet LOL) and from there I passed to GZDoom that is where I currently play, sometimes I play with Zandronum but I really feel more comfortable with GZdoom

6 hours ago, LUISDooM said:

cute and crispy 262x163 resolution 

My eyes began to water just reading that.

Not counting console versions (my first actual Doom was SNES, then PS1), and not counting the brief period I could play shareware Doom in grade school (!), my first Doom port was Doom 95.

From there, I found Doom Legacy, then JDoom (which became Doomsday).

Then I found ZDoom, and I stuck with that until GZDoom took off. I've been there pretty much ever since, with some slight dabbles in Skulltag and Zandronum.

Doom 95 it was. It was my first impression of Final Doom IWADs and I just couldn't believe my eyes how "realistic" the level design was, haha. Other than that I remember Doom 2 maps 31 and 32 were unable to load due to some bug which really sucked.

Skulltag was my first impression of Doom online gaming too.

doom 95, then jdoom, both with shareware.

then chocolate doom and zdoom once i got ahold of doom 2 floppies, the pentium 4 could not handle dosbox

EDGE sometime between 2009/2010.  It came bundled with the GoldenEye TC, which was also the first Doom mod that I have played. The second is either Skulltag or Zdoom - whatever was packaged with Psychophobia.  

Like most people, I started with my parents' copy of Doom95 and then progressed to ZDoom. In between, though, I tried playing on Dosbox. I wouldn't recommend that.

Doom 95, then Skulltag, then Zandronum, then GZDoom, and now primarily prboom+. Of course, I have Crispy, prboom+, GZDoom, Zandronum, and Eternity Engine (literally just for Heartland), all on my computer now, depending on my needs.

I first played Doom in actual MS-DOS back in the day. When Windows 95 came, I must have switched to Doom 95 eventually. Actual sourceport I ever used was ZDoom in mid-2000s. When I got back to PC dooming last year, I first installed GZDoom, the only one that I really knew about despite watching modern pwads from Youtube.

GZDoom. I didn't start playing Doom until the 2010s. I knew about it, obviously, but I didn't play PC games until the 2010s cause I never had a decent PC of my own until then, only consoles. And yeah I know that I didn't need a decent PC to play Doom but try explaining to teenage me at the time in the late 2000s what a sourceport was or how to use one. I was a particularly dumb teenager.

Anyways, saw Brutal Doom for the first time in around 2012/2013, fell in love, and from there learned how to get Doom running. And the rest is history. Still use GZDoom for most things.

Skulltag (around 2015), then Zandronum a few months later.
Zandronum remained my main source port of choice for a few years until i started using GZDoom and PrBoom+.

ZDoom around 2008, it was also my first time playing with DOOM on PC, before I always played it on console, starting with SNES many, many years ago. Didn't really care about the specifics behind the sourceport, just "Hey I wanna play Doom, any suggestion?" and the rest is history. Although, admittedly, only very recently did I finally decided to steer away from the Z family of sourceports. Not that I'll never use them again but rather I simply expanded to other sourceport. Recently been REALLY enjoying DSDA DOOM and it might end up being my goto. I also want to respect mappers intents with complevel and recommended sourceport.

I kind of a Weelad here, i start with GZDoom in 2018, and move on to ZDoom because i don't know how to disable Texture filtering, and recently Boom ports.

before that only retro games I will ever think of is those Japanese games like mario, Zelda, or Touhou because I'm Asian and my English is shit, hence I never reach over to Western media before 2016, until I study high school in US, learn English, and find Doom recently

And got addicted to it

After having played Doom 2 on DOS, my first experience playing the original Doom was years later using DOOM95.

Years after that was Skulltag, I think.

Regrettably, I started with GZDoom. Nothing against people who use GZDoom, but nowadays I barely use it, preferring PrBoom+ for it's vanilla-ness... vanilla-ness, is that a thing? Whatever. I'll come back to