Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lizardcommando

What was the first Doom source port you have used?

PrBoom+, because it's a dependency for Freedoom on Debian. Yes, I started my Doom hobby from Freedoom, though I played a few Doom levels when I was a kid.

Doom95 for me. When I played a version that works on Windows 10 recently it was surprisingly nostalgic seeing the wide weapon sprites and hearing the low pitched sounds. Might have to go through the iwads some time with it. 

GZDoom was my first sourceport I ever used. Mainly because of how easy it was to set up and instantly play.

Nowadays I use more vanilla accurate sourceports like Crispy Doom or Woof with Doom Launcher.

I still occasionally use GZDoom if a certain mod or wad requires it.

Not including the original DOS version or the Unity port, that would be GZDoom. After a few months, I switched over to PrBoom+ because GZDoom couldn't run big maps like Holy Hell.

I grew up in the early 2000's so I ended up playing a lot of classic shooters in middle/high school. Doom however, I think I first played online in a flash port on newgrounds when I was in elementary school, which had the shareware for doom 1, heretic, and hexen. I think early middle school I had my moms windows 7 laptop with steam, and I bought the dos version of the ultimate doom. I messed around with an old windows XP pc around that time too that I installed linux onto, and on one of the free game pages I found, I downloaded Chocolate Doom with a copy of Freedoom Phase 1 installed. 

After that, I went back to running XP, I'm not sure if it was on the same computer or another desktop that I found, but after looking for free games to play, I found MM8BDM and fell in love, and then after messing around with the files I realized it was running Zandronum, and that I could load my Doom 1 wad from steam onto it, and from there I got into the doom community by late middle school. 

I played Knee Deep in the Dead a whole bunch as a kid, but it took me until basically high school to have a good enough pc and the money for the wads to play through the rest of the doom games. 

Well, the first time I played DOOM, it was Doom 95 I believe. But the first time I had to use a source port, it was ZDoom.

GZDoom for about 6 months, then tried prboom+ and haven't looked back. I am a stickler about things like complevels now.

ZDoom when it was still supported (This was around 2012), I remember being blown away at how smooth it was over the DOS version. Then I tried doomsday, which I loved even more because of how nice it looked.

My first source port was Skulltag in 2010. I never played DOOM before, but I played the Mega Man games in 2009 / 2010. When I discovered Mega Man 8-bit deathmatch as a doom wad, I tried it out.

I had then Skulltag, later Zandronum and GZDoom.

For my very first playtrough of the DOOM games in 2014, I used Chocolate Doom.