Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
instagib

So um...Quake?

Just now, User Name said:

So ummm....like whatever. Quake is awesome!

well yeah I can agree but what about how the game broke id software in half

1 minute ago, instagib said:

well yeah I can agree but what about how the game broke id software in half

It's like when One Direction broke up.

25 minutes ago, instagib said:

Just wanna talk about some random Quake stuff.220px-Quake1cover.jpg.a7a9f4932967bad27fd2e145166b2f36.jpg

The Quake series is awesome.

Quake doesn't feel like a Doom game to me, it's definitely more its own thing.

I just wish they had taken the QuakeII engine to make Doom3 a while back.

I'd even be OK with using sprite enemies in the Quake II engine just to have the hordes of enemies Doom/Doom2 had (although modern PCs could obviously handle the whole thing being polygonal).

I think I'm the only one on Earth though that actually liked Quake3 Team Arena.

1 minute ago, 𝕲𝖗𝖊𝖊𝖓𝖙𝖎𝖌𝖊𝖗1 said:

The Quake series is awesome.

Quake doesn't feel like a Doom game to me, it's definitely more its own thing.

I just wish they had taken the QuakeII engine to make Doom3 a while back.

I'd even be OK with using sprite enemies in the Quake II engine just to have the hordes of enemies Doom/Doom2 had (although modern PCs could obviously handle the whole thing being polygonal).

I think I'm the only one on Earth though that actually liked Quake3 Team Arena.

egg?

1 minute ago, Juza said:

Hide contents

HUH

image.png.f3ce8c04b175819f790b1152f6e925de.png

fun fact:painkiller stole the jump sound from Quake

the quake community map packs over the past 15 years are just mind blowingly incredible. all those map jams (there's at least 15 of them), are the equivalent of megawads in DOOM Town. and the quality level is just constantly AAA. people often talk about Arcane Dimensions map pack but hell, that's just ONE OF MANY. just like doom, the base game is turned into a triviality in comparison to the community created levels. none of these maps should be free, in my opinion. in either the doom or quake community. it's a travesty that you aren't asking for money for these, while you see youtubers playing video games with "donate to me" links all over their  videos...

i have a torrent file of a 7.7gb quake 1 map pack in my about me for those interested. all community made levels. no illegal files!

When I was a kid I played Quake 2 and loved the graphics, but never could end the game
Played Quake 3, but was too deathmatch and online for my taste, I like singleplayer
Played Quake 4 campaign, it was really cool

And all came down when as a grown up I played Quake 1 and it was the shit. Freaking awesome game. You could feel that Lovecraftian design that came down from Sandy Petersen probably, and like someone said, Quake is it's own thing. And I take it very literal because Quake 1 is very different than Quake 2 and 4 (who share story IIRC, about the Strogg and all that stuff).

Hey, uh... I'm still waiting for a follow-up of the first QUAKE.

Love Quake 1. If there's anything I'd put up there with Doom, or even consider better, it's Quake 1.

Quake 1 and 2 are great. I've played through 1 but not 2, I keep trying to get through 2 but always get stuck or distracted. The RTX Quake 2 looks awesome and that's the one I've played most.

Quake 3 is fantastic, and while I was never an expert with hundreds of hours of experience I love playing Quake 3/Live, especially when everyone else is much better.

I think I've told before about when I got into Quake Live closed beta and got thrashed constantly, which I found fun. When open beta came I started winning matches and lost interest.

Quake 4 I keep installing on whatever computer/Windows/Steam install I'm using, but never get around to playing it.

I'm tempted to try Champions, but I have no idea what to think of it, opinions seem so polarized. I don't want to get really into it and they shut off the servers.

oh and edit note: Quake first and foremost I'm thankful for allowing Hexen 2 to happen. I know that game doesn't have a huge number of fans but you can count me as one of them.

8 minutes ago, DuckReconMajor said:

I'm tempted to try Champions, but I have no idea what to think of it, opinions seem so polarized. I don't want to get really into it and they shut off the servers.

oh and edit note: Quake first and foremost I'm thankful for allowing Hexen 2 to happen. I know that game doesn't have a huge number of fans but you can count me as one of them.

Quake Champions is OK, the players are really good but there are so few people on there. I am not a fan of the battlepass system and leveling system but if you liked Doom 2016's multiplayer you'll like Champions. There are 3 player classes essentially, light, medium, heavy, like they were going to toy with in Quake3 but eventually dropped. In addition each Champion has 1 active ability and 1 passive ability. I find the abilities to be fun but I can only imagine they're hard to balance. If you don't mind not all things being equal Champions is fun. I just wish it had the ability to create new maps (even SnapMap style). The railgun seems a little underpowered to me. Though I didn't like the Q3 railgun as much as the original Q2 railgun.

EDIT:

Although Quake Champions: Doom Edition is arguably superior. If not in technology, that you can make community maps and it has singleplayer content.

1 hour ago, 𝕲𝖗𝖊𝖊𝖓𝖙𝖎𝖌𝖊𝖗1 said:

Although Quake Champions: Doom Edition is arguably superior. If not in technology, that you can make community maps and it has singleplayer content.

Seeing that video I remembered I did join a server on Zandronum with that mod. It seemed like a lot of fun but for most of it I was the only one on there playing against bots.

33 minutes ago, DuckReconMajor said:

Seeing that video I remembered I did join a server on Zandronum with that mod. It seemed like a lot of fun but for most of it I was the only one on there playing against bots.

When I play Quake Champions it's normally against bots. Rarely is there more than 1 or 2 real people on even then.

I like arena shooters, but there's rarely any one on anymore, bots are important.

But I mostly stick with friends any way rather than randos on the internet, most people are just rude IME.

39 minutes ago, DuckReconMajor said:

There's (almost) weekly events done by the devs on fridays to play, they usually gather quite a good amount of people then, you can get notified of it through their discord.

Duels and FFAs are very fun with the mod, even survival is fun, the different passive abilities of some characters help the players cooperate!

By the way if anyone interested reads this, I'm always up for QC:DE, so hit me up if you want to play.

17 minutes ago, Senor500 said:

There's (almost) weekly events done by the devs on fridays to play, they usually gather quite a good amount of people then, you can get notified of it through their discord.

Duels and FFAs are very fun with the mod, even survival is fun, the different passive abilities of some characters help the players cooperate!

By the way if anyone interested reads this, I'm always up for QC:DE, so hit me up if you want to play.

Friday night is usually booked for me, I usually game on Saturday evenings--but I too would be up for Quake Champions or QC:DE.

3 minutes ago, 𝕲𝖗𝖊𝖊𝖓𝖙𝖎𝖌𝖊𝖗1 said:

Friday night is usually booked for me, I usually game on Saturday evenings--but I too would be up for Quake Champions or QC:DE.

It usually happens at the afternoon, not at night, but I guess it depends on where you live.

Still, someone is bound to play with you if you ask on the discord.

Really wish people like sponge would get hired to do a Quake 1 port someday. It has the least official ports out there by now and has never been rereleased; consoles only ever got a Saturn and N64 version too.

Quake is awesome but gameplay-wise I don't think the enemy design is as good as Doom. They encourage fighting from behind cover a lot more and don't have as much versatility as the Doom 2 monster set. Also LOL bosses. Anyhow Quake is still great and the atmosphere is top-notch. I don't think another game like it is possible, it's like when a band fights in the studio and all want to do different things, and the result is their best album that also breaks them up.