Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
spacelion88

I like Freedom a lot!!

I  just recently found out Freedom wads existed
I have legally owned the original Doom wads since like 2005 but I love that so many people cared to make a project that was freely available for those with no moneys.

The monsters are awesome and I actually like the overall theme and the music a lot more than the original Doom concept. Freedoom 2 has GREAT music!! , especially the 1st map, Astronomy Complex and Data Center those are my favorites

Just a shoutout big thanks to all who worked on the Freedoom stuff so far. Excellent work I think

21 minutes ago, spacelion88 said:

I  just recently found out Freedom wads existed
I have legally owned the original Doom wads since like 2005 but I love that so many people cared to make a project that was freely available for those with no moneys.

The monsters are awesome and I actually like the overall theme and the music a lot more than the original Doom concept. Freedoom 2 has GREAT music!! , especially the 1st map, Astronomy Complex and Data Center those are my favorites

Just a shoutout big thanks to all who worked on the Freedoom stuff so far. Excellent work I think

Freedoom is actually pretty awesome.

My only real gripe with it is I don't like the monster designs--but I'm not in a place to do anything about it since I have zero artistic skill.

25 minutes ago, 𝕲𝖗𝖊𝖊𝖓𝖙𝖎𝖌𝖊𝖗1 said:

Freedoom is actually pretty awesome.

My only real gripe with it is I don't like the monster designs--but I'm not in a place to do anything about it since I have zero artistic skill.

yeah I've heard people complaining about that a bit.

Well I will say I'm not too crazy about the Arachnotron replacement. Looks like a mutated flounder in a hammock hahah

Gotta love the flying enemies though. I'm sorry I forget what they're called but the PainElemental, Cacodemon & FlyingSkull enemies are pretty fantastic

EDIT: just checked manual
Trilobite, Summoner & Deadflare. COOL MONSTERS!
Also that DarkSoldier's pretty badass too. (Revenant replacement)

Edited by spacelion88 : checked manual

"Freedoom" taught me about WADs and sourceports. I used it before buying official Doom 2, back in like 2005. You should have seen Freedoom back in the day dude. Half the monsters unfinished, the HUD face a completely different guy. ALOT of the monsters were different. The levels and music were also different. It was like 65% done LOL. Half the time you were fighting these black placeholder boxes they had made to be the monster sprites until they finished them.

Edited by Dubbagdarrel

Certainly the best part is the soundtrack and the levels, I'm not a fan of the monster designs either but FreeDoom is Doom and a good one at that! Lends well for compatability as well, very successful project if you ask me.

I love Freedoom. From the designs of the monsters and weapons, to the levels (even if there are a few bad ones). The new shotgun sound kicks ass, the minigun is cool, and the plasma gun feels like firing a flamethrower.

32 minutes ago, Senor500 said:

Certainly the best part is the soundtrack and the levels, I'm not a fan of the monster designs either but FreeDoom is Doom and a good one at that! Lends well for compatability as well, very successful project if you ask me.

Well, I do like some of the monsters, specifically:

* Minigun Zombie (Chaingunner)

* Flesh Worm (although that name just sounds wrong) (Demon/Spectre)

* Deadflare (Lost Soul)

* Trilobite (Cacodemon)

* Pain Bringer (Hell Knight)

* Pain Lord (Baron of Hell)

I like the levels a lot too.

What I most like at Freedoom is that it presents us a different style of horror than the original Doom.

I associate a big part of the more common monsters more with animals (of the more horrific/disgust-inducing variants) living in liquid and "earthy" environments. They resemble snails or worms, not so much the classic demons like in the original games. Imo some of them are much scarier than the original monsters, which are more "cartoony".

Also I like several of the levels. MAP06, 11, 12, 15, 22, 25 and 29 of Phase 2 (v0.11 was the last I played) come into my mind. Even within the older, now deleted levels there were some gems, I remember the enormous old MAP27, which took the Doom II's "Nirvana" idea of a hub to very different sections to epic dimensions (and had much better gameplay than the original).

On 4/3/2020 at 7:49 PM, spacelion88 said:

Thank you! I'm only one contributor of many, but I've been proud to contribute to this community effort when, where and how I can, and I'm glad you enjoy it.

However, I wanted to address one thing:

On 4/3/2020 at 7:49 PM, spacelion88 said:

While there is no reason to be charging money for this project and it's definitely better that we don't, that is not actually the core purpose of the Freedoom project. It's "free" as in "freedom". @Linguica is to thank for convincing John Carmack to release his retired engines under the GNU General Public License*, and this project came about as an answer to the newly liberated source code. Free content for a free engine, the official Doom IWADs are still propriety and commercially sold to this day, but Freedoom fills that gap.

*with Carmack gone from id Software, we're unfortunately unlikely to see any future source releases from id, given that Zenimax now owns them, and they are very much not interested in that kind of thing.

On 4/4/2020 at 4:14 AM, Dubbagdarrel said:

Half the monsters unfinished, the HUD face a completely different guy. ALOT of the monsters were different. The levels and music were also different. It was like 65% done LOL. Half the time you were fighting these black placeholder boxes they had made to be the monster sprites until they finished them.

That's how I remember it too. And now we have COVID-19, and I gave phase 2 of version 0.12.1 a new try… and WOW! From a crude beta version with many parts unfinished a game emerged, and it's a great one. Many of the maps I remember as unbalanced and not that good are very good now, and the monster sprites are much better too. Yes, the "dark soldier" is a still a very dark one, hard too see in dark areas of a map (which can be seen as a challenge, of course) and the technospider don't look that good, but all the other monsters are very acceptable. I remember that necromancer as a ugly flashing skeleton making me laugh, but it's one of the best looking beasts now, and the very ugly pain bringers and pain lords from the early versions are replaced with strange, but nice looking creatures. It plays like doom, it looks similar, but it is clearly different and great.

I love freedoom too, but it is hard keeping track of the level changes, I found something called the lost levels that were freedoom levels that had been cut from the newest version

any way to see how many levels have been cut and when? plus any way to download the levels that were cut?

how many levels have been cut and when?

I think the monsters are great. Although the Commando needs a new sprite.

The Marine finally got new death sounds. He doesn't sound like a zombie anymore. His fall sound is also changed, which is neat.