Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
theSEGAnerd

doom windows 95

im getting a windows 95 computer soon and i just wanted to ask a few questions

1. can i go on doomworld on the old computer(and yes i know you need a landline to go on the internet)

2. can you make maps on wins 95

thats all my questions 

have a nice day

4 hours ago, theSEGAnerd said:

im getting a windows 95 computer soon and i just wanted to ask a few questions

1. can i go on doomworld on the old computer

Yes, but such an old computer, or a modern computer but with Windows 95 on it, should not go near the internet highway. Picture this:

• Everyone on the highway drives cars with 4 wheels.
  • Then you come along, trying to drive on the highway with 3 wheels.

The result is that you can technically drive it on the highway, but at a speed so greatly reduced that safety regulations become in order.

The same applies with your Windows 95 computer/or modern PC but with Windows 95 installed.

(and yes i know you need a landline to go on the internet)

A provider, i reckon?

2. can you make maps on wins 95

You can, but you cannot use current map editors like Doom Builder X or Ultimate Doom Builder.

An editor compatible with Windows95 is required. One of these *might* be WinDEU. Another might be DoomCAD.

thats all my questions 

have a nice day

Thank you aswell and have a nice day too :)

thanks for telling me 

and if youre wondering why im getting a windows 95 computer its cause i like old technology and i think its cool and someones giving me a free one anyway so i just wanted to know if youre able to do these things and i will get a modern pc too but there exspensive so i have to wait for my birthday and even when i get a new one ill still use the old one to play some retro games like wolfenstien 3d and doom

For the sake of your own sanity.. I suggest using a modern computer to get online, and do your map editing in a modern doom editor.

Then just transfer your files to your win95 box for testing.

For doom95 editing, you can look at Deepsea (or some old variant of it), & WinDEU, & Wintex.  The very first version of doom builder, and slumped may or may not work, (same with xwe).