Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chezza

Doom Monster's Hellish Evolution

I wanted to point out and theorize that the Demons in Doom Eternal have become more demonic.

Where in Doom 2016, some of the demons that were mostly man made i.e. Revenant but were possessed, now has become a true part of Hell's armies and production in Eternal. It's likely the technology was stolen and now manufactured in Hell itself.

The recent changes are their glowing eyes and hellish iconography in their armour or flesh. Meanwhile the already long corrupted Demons haven't received much of a change, such as the Imp, Cacodemon, Pinky etc.

image.png.a141a5da703dcf2c3a359656b84e24ba.png

What I don't quite understand is the Mancubus and its cyber counterpart. It seems like the species facial structure has changed. It once looked more Alien and loosely related to other demons like the Cacodemon (eye shape / colour, jaw structure) but now looks more human. Perhaps this could be the same story as the Revenant but humans have been corrupted and mutated for the role rather than an Alien specie.

There has been some other interesting changes to Demons I thought were 100% demonic, such as the Hell Knights. In Eternal, eyes are introduced with sharper and longer teeth / talons.

image.png.9333ac1fd2c92f0b5c7841e3e0cc709a.png

The Baron has received a dramatic change but I'm certain they were always truly Demon, rather they have been enhanced or it's a different variant.

Edited by Chezza

The head of the Whiplash resembles the Lost Soul. Also, the Khan Maykr bears a resemblance to the Spider Mastermind with the brain head and evil face.

I think Hugo Martin mentioned in an interview that the newer appearances of demons (like the Mancubus or Cyberdemon/Tyrant) are based on different "species" of that demon's family. So the 2016 Mancubus and Eternal Mancubus are both subspecies of the "Mancubus" family.

While I like most of the visual updates to the demons, looking at the side comparisons you posted, the 2016 Revenant looks so much cooler. More bloodier and insane-looking.

5 minutes ago, AtimZarr1 said:

I think Hugo Martin mentioned in an interview that the newer appearances of demons (like the Mancubus or Cyberdemon/Tyrant) are based on different "species" of that demon's family. So the 2016 Mancubus and Eternal Mancubus are both subspecies of the "Mancubus" family.

While I like most of the visual updates to the demons, looking at the side comparisons you posted, the 2016 Revenant looks so much cooler. More bloodier and insane-looking.

If you even read the codexes, it specifically mentions that the mancubi encountered in Doom Eternal are a different species.

One odd thing...didn't the codex mention that the Eternal Mancubus has augmentations that are NOT from this worlds UAC? With the implication that someone else of unknown but possibly human original did it (and thus possibly that these are the original Doom 2 Mancubi) ?

Most of the demons have a lore explanation. 

-Revenant you see in D16 is the Mark I revenant and was replaced with the Mark II when the cultists retook that tech from the UAC and "improved"

-DE Mancubus is another sub species all together that was "improved" by the cultists. 

-Cacodemon is the same and was given blue blood (a change that should be patched into D16)

-Barons from DE are the Fireborne variant.  Normal ones still exists (but they need green blood)

-Hell knights I bet are just another species or breed.

-Not sure how to explain the imps but I just head canon it as Workers versus Soldiers.

Probably just different "classes" although with some versions of enemies having radical changes in design or gameplay, i wonder when is something even considered to be part of the same type.

I also wonder about lore differences, like how Hell used to make their own cybernetic kind.

1 hour ago, Zemini said:

Cacodemon is the same and was given blue blood (a change that should be patched into D16)

I mean, we have them with blue blood here, so we don't need to revise 2016.