Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FATAL-R-097

What was your first doom game?

30 minutes ago, NoahRules said:

This forum is probably hate me for saying this but, Doom 2016

I may be wrong but I don't think liking Doom '16 or having that game being your introduction to Doom is controversial or divisive.

The Ultimate Doom. I was one of those guys who saw Brutal Doom in the early 2010s and really wanted to try it out, so I figured out how to most easily play Doom. Played through it, then BD, and since then I've never looked back.

Shareware Doom, 1995.

I remember getting it running with just PC speakers on my PC back in the day, and I can sort of kind of remember the noises that play during the demo.

But I just can't find the exact version of the shareware that I had back in the day.

Heretic shareware,when i was like 5\6 years old, so around '98 or something?.. The iron lich and those screaming skulls gave me a peculiar nightmare that i still remember today.

The first proper doom game i played was the ultimate doom, around 10 years ago.

If I recall, Doom 1 shareware on Doom95 was my first contact with Doom, then I tried to emulate Doom 64 thinking it was a straight port of the game. So basically, Doom episode 1 shareware was the first Doom anything, and Doom 64 was the first full campaign I played.

Ultimate Doom ~ in the PBBS days. ;)

Started playing Doom2 when it was released, and finally played DM on the BBS not long after.

The original one of course. It was the first game I had for my pc (that was a 486 66 MHz). I should still have the original box with the 4 disks inside somewhere in my parents house.

8 hours ago, pcorf said:

SNES Doom E1M1 back in 1995 before I got a PC. Would never forget this theme.

This sounds like it is played in a cave.

SNES Doom. 

Whenever I'm doing a UV playthrough on Ultimate Doom nowadays I always use a SNES Doom music mod. There's honestly something special about the music in SNES Doom that I haven't seen replicated in any other console port. It's just so unique, and creepy. Good stuff.

2 hours ago, Kaos said:

The original one of course. It was the first game I had for my pc (that was a 486 66 MHz). I should still have the original box with the 4 disks inside somewhere in my parents house.

That's worth quite a bit of money these days.

Doom II, PC.  One of sperm donor's friends gave him a PC with it pre-installed.  So I played it when he was at work and after school.  I was like, what... Eleven?

It all started with Final Doom PSX in 1996 or '97. I remember buying that along with "Disruptor" and got a nice discount. 

At that time, I didn't even know about the original PC Doom with all its differences. Roughly a year later, on the same day I bought a brandnew, freshly released Resident Evil 2, I found a used copy of Ultimate Doom in a second hand store. I've never encountered that one before and was surprised to see a "new" Doom title,- which really wasn't. It was like christmas! And still, I didn't know about the original Doom history. Not until I got in touch with Doom 64, a classmate told me about the "real" Doom series. He invited me and showed me all that stuff I wasn't aware of. Looking back on that, it's kinda funny.  

My dad downloaded the shareware version, probably when it first came out. I remember being hyped for it because Wolf 3d was the big thing at the time and Doom was going to be even more awesome. Then he got the full version and Doom 2 eventually. I wasn't allowed to play it back then, but I watched him play through it all. I first started playing it in probably '96 and got The Ultimate Doom for Xmas that year. "Doom wads" was one of the first things I searched for on the Internet after "Civilization" and Magic cards" which is how I found this site back in '98 or so.

1 hour ago, 4everDoomed said:

It all started with Final Doom PSX in 1996 or '97. I remember buying that along with "Disruptor" and got a nice discount. 

At that time, I didn't even know about the original PC Doom with all its differences. Roughly a year later, on the same day I bought a brandnew, freshly released Resident Evil 2, I found a used copy of Ultimate Doom in a second hand store. I've never encountered that one before and was surprised to see a "new" Doom title,- which really wasn't. It was like christmas! And still, I didn't know about the original Doom history. Not until I got in touch with Doom 64, a classmate told me about the "real" Doom series. He invited me and showed me all that stuff I wasn't aware of. Looking back on that, it's kinda funny.  

Final Doom PSX has some shit maps, though, the original PSX Doom is waaaayyyy better in all respects.

1 hour ago, VGA said:

Final Doom PSX has some shit maps, though, the original PSX Doom is waaaayyyy better in all respects.

Some of the maps in the PlayStation edition of FD cause the game to perform very poorly on that system. I find it unplayable now and PSX Doom is starting to get that way now for me as I'm used to PSX D TC.

37 minutes ago, Boaby Kenobi said:

Some of the maps in the PlayStation edition of FD cause the game to perform very poorly on that system. I find it unplayable now and PSX Doom is starting to get that way now for me as I'm used to PSX D TC.

Yes but the maps in Final Doom PSX are also bad. And way fewer. They created a 30 map compilation from TNT , Plutonia and the Master Levels and chose some of the worst ones.

DOOM (1993) through DOSBox.

I hated it. The resolution was too low. The mouse sensitivity was odd. Then grabbed a sourceport and loved it.

Shareware Doom, sometime in the mid-90s. Probably around 1996.

Then probably Doom 64. Then later I got Ultimate Doom, Doom II, Master Levels, Final Doom, etc.

11 hours ago, NoahRules said:

This forum is probably hate me for saying this but, Doom 2016

Welcome to hell! Rip and tear, for your battle shall be eternal !

I don't usually put a lot of stuff on here but funnily enough I played the GBA version on the bus with a buddy of mine when we went to school.