Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dragonfly

Tormentor667. Care to explain why you plagiarised Epic 2?

Eugh, that's just bad. If you're gonna make something, at least use your own original ideas and don't steal from other people's work.

That's deplorable, not just the fact that it's plagarizing another map, but also that it was submitted for someone else project
It does makes me question his other work

Well, this is one terrible discovery. Definitely not the type anyone would like to wake up to.

Still, while I myself do detest the fact that Tormentor667 has done this, let's stay civil and rational, instead of just calling names and whatnot, just like what Linguica reminds us.

I don't get it by the time youve dragged it over, connected it to your existing map, re shaped and textured the room, changed it in various ways so its not exactly the same you could have made something completely original with all that time spent. Sad.

If you're gonna copy you should at least give credit to the original source, man.

What the hell

Before i am going to side step and respond on the claim later on (or perhaps not, i dunno if its worth it) (Other than that i don't like the setup of the OP, far too aggressive if you ask me) coincidentially i had a message from Torm earlier in the day regarding the R667 site. So i have to step in and press the fire extinguisher here.

Before we start this discussion, Please keep this in mind:

The message featured a reference to a rather personal matter regarding a recent death in Torm's family, so you can imagine that the last thing he has on his mind is to respond to this issue.

Other then that i just want to chip my personal recollection in: Torm's a great guy and we have and are working great together on R667.

I just want to set this out prior to responding in a seperate post. If there is an explanation for this, i am sure Torm will come forward and address this when the time comes.

For now, please keep the bolded in mind. As enticing as it is to provide a head on address to and about Torm, do note that you are not aware of the fuller picture here. (Neither was i, in fact. Its just that here i have a different piece of info versus Dragonfly's.)

@Linguica if you want to have this verified please approach me through DM and i will highlight this.

Bah, sucks reading this news knowing full well where Torm's head likely is focused upon right now.....

.... It isn't this, trust me.

43 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

If you plagiarise, you're dead to me.

Deplorable.

.... Yeah, please lets not do this kind of thing. There are worse matters right now, as understandable as these initial reactions are.

Edited by Redneckerz

29 minutes ago, Poncho1 said:

Homage is fine when done right. Flat-out copy-and-pasting is pretty damn bad.

I don't think I've seen a mapper homage another mapper's project. I wonder where the line is drawn? 

10 minutes ago, Mr. Freeze said:

I don't think I've seen a mapper homage another mapper's project. I wonder where the line is drawn? 

when you literally copy and paste several sections and sectors out of it without permission (i.e. what this shows)

Just to see this from the other side for a second. If it is only certain parts of the map wich are similar while differently textured and connected to an otherwise different layout altogether, then it shouldn't be a big issue I suppose.  Didn't Plutonia had similar and identical layouts as Doom 1? 

1 minute ago, OniriA said:

Just to see this from the other side for a second. If it is only certain parts of the map wich are similar while differently textured and connected to an otherwise different layout altogether, then it shouldn't be a big issue I suppose.  Didn't Plutonia had similar and identical layouts as Doom 1? 

the text file accompanying Epic 2? It reads as follows:

Authors may NOT use the contents of this file as a base for modification or reuse.  Permissions have been obtained from original authors for any of their resources modified or included in this file.

end of story.

Ruh-roh.  Certainly not a fan of this sort of behavior.  I'd like to hear the explanation on this, for sure.

3 minutes ago, rampancy said:

time out... certainly there is a better way to do this?

What better way is there? If someone has plagiarised, then the community deserves to know.

2 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

I'm passionate about creativity, and I actively try to encourage it in projects like The Joy of Mapping, my personal speedmapping pursuits, and the community projects I've led.

And i thank you profusely for it, obviously! In fact i covered your Invasion project on R667, to begin with!

2 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Seeing people not bother to come up with their own ideas and instead opting to literally grab someone else's lines and put them in their own work is something I will never understand or allow in my own projects.

There's never any good reason or excuse. It always irks me.

.... Trust me, the coincidentality of this thread and Torm's personal tragedy is what i consider more than enough of an excuse, to put it in your words, to not want to deal with this issue right now.

I am not going to defend Torm's practices here, i am just trying to put a more humane notion to this. And i hope that this will be understood as such.

There are things in Torm's life right now that outweigh this case file. I rather prefer to support Torm through those dark times then to be flipping him off because of something bad he did in Doom.

1 minute ago, Redneckerz said:

And i thank you profusely for it, obviously! In fact i covered your Invasion project on R667, to begin with!

.... Trust me, the coincidentality of this thread and Torm's personal tragedy is what i consider more than enough of an excuse, to put it in your words, to not want to deal with this issue right now.

I am not going to defend Torm's practices here, i am just trying to put a more humane notion to this. And i hope that this will be understood as such.

There are things in Torm's life right now that outweigh this case file. I rather prefer to support Torm through those dark times then to be flipping him off because of something bad he did in Doom.

You do realize how you're coming across here right 

8 minutes ago, OniriA said:

Different story. The Casali brothers took stock level ideas and then drew their own lines.

Plutonia is specifically a remake based on ideas in the first two Dooms. Those maps are original layouts. This is identical line-for-line copying.