Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dragonfly

Tormentor667. Care to explain why you plagiarised Epic 2?

36 minutes ago, NeoWorm said:

Whatever. Too many people take art too seriously. Sometimes it's just not worth it. Quite often actually. Most of art is recycled ideas anyway. Unless it can ruin somebody's life, it's just petty.

My reaction, after reading this:

Spoiler

image.png.e8ba51684d316f21be8186e9f7a98593.png

C'mon, even ignorance have it's limit. Even if you don't recognize or are insensible to art as a form of expression, it is a business and a big one to boot; and that, simply put, mean someone care, a lot. And belittling those who care isn't the way to go.

10 minutes ago, ptoing said:

Why he does this, when it seems that he can actually come up with maps by himself (or so I hope at least), is beyond me.

Laziness is probably the motive. If I remember correctly, there were entire sections in BoA Chapter 1 that were copy pasted from earlier levels (of BoA), complete with the same thing and enemy placement. This is essentially that but taken from another mapset entirely.

1 hour ago, The_SloVinator said:

At the very least, he needs to be a man & apologize in public for his actions in the past & present without any excuses.

If he had the balls to literally copy/paste people's work multiple times, then he needs to have the balls to own up to the authors that he upset. 

I agree that's what Tormentor should do.

It was more directed at the people who are saying we should not jump to conclusions until he has a chance to speak. Like he's going to say "oh this is just some wacky coincidence that my levels have geometry that lines up perfectly with other levels, multiple times, and the other instances of me lifting others work does not speak to any sort of pattern at all" and suddenly new clarity will be provided.

...shakes head in disgust...

I just woke up this morning and saw this thread. I didn't have time to read all of it, and I want to hear Tormentor667's side of the story.

But all I have to say is... if all of this is true, I am VERY DISAPPOINTED in you, Tormentor667.

1 hour ago, NeoWorm said:

Whatever. Too many people take art too seriously. Sometimes it's just not worth it. Quite often actually. Most of art is recycled ideas anyway. Unless it can ruin somebody's life, it's just petty.

Wow, who would have thought communities full of creative types would take creative works seriously, and have a general consensus that stealing shit, especially to put into someone else's project, and especially when what they stole from asked them not to, is kind of sort of maybe, idk, a little bit wrong? Disrespectful?

I am not a mapper, but I understand all the others being upset about it. Still, I am also concerned about the repercussions of all these (probably justified) accusations since I have some doubts Tormentor will continue working on his projects (mainly Blade of Agony right now) after all this.

(There will probably be people out there who feel compelled to answer to this: "Who would want to play anything from a copyist, anyway?", but let's be honest, it was still good stuff. "Only" the way it has been handled was obviously not OK.)

Edited by NightFright

Just saw this thread and I knew I had to reply with something. Why? Because I was recently called out for plagiarism too.

I am still kicking myself about it. I honestly feel bad. However, judging by the screenshots, this looks so much worse than my case.

EDIT: Didn't realize he apologized by the time I posted this. Brilliant! :/

12 hours ago, Ralphis said:

I hope nobody ever compares udm1 map01 to dwango5 map02 or my ass is GONE

Just don't hack my Netscape again.

Seriously. That's what this thread reminded me of.

This is some crazy shit. I can't even with this. I've literally worked on WADs to the point of mental exhaustion, staying up as much as 30 hours in a row working on one map. Spending way too much time on my stuff. getting 4 hours sleep before work because I stay up late to work my project when I had to wake up at 5 AM. I can't even imagine the amount of effort and dedication people put into making something as incredible as "Epic 2" really sad that some one would just copy that persons work and use it as their own and actually think that they could forever get away with it. But this type of thing happens in ALL art mediums. It sucks, I can't stand it, and as a fellow WAD editor is very frustrating to see.

Edited by Dubbagdarrel

It's sad to see this all to have indeed be the case. Even though it was better to discuss the matter privately I hope the reply will bring some resolve to this for both parties and can move forward.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRjv-XxkCyHaHBHOCsK7dj

32 minutes ago, OniriA said:

It's sad to see this all to have indeed be the case. Even though it was better to discuss the matter privately I hope the reply will bring some resolve to this for both parties and can move forward.

It has been explained at length in this thread that he has previously done this before with the issue being resolved privately, and the fact that it was still happening is why it's public now. And you've been here since page 1, which is where it was first explained, so you're not "late to the party" on this one. 

Edited by Edward850

1 hour ago, Dragonfly said:

However, as the saying goes, actions speak louder than words. As long as no other instances of this mistakenly-sourced material occurs, I'd say that's a win for everyone and is the best possible outcome of all of this.

Well stated.

The fact that this was discovered proved one thing to me: There are guys out there who play a LOT of Doom maps. I would have never noticed the differences, tbh. But I guess if you were personally involved in a project or you just play some mods a lot, it's much easier.

As I wrote to Torm via PM, I'm not going to really point fingers since I am merely a user here without any considerable creative contributions. I can understand why many others feel offended and everybody must decide for themselves if they accept this explanation/apology or not. As far as I am concerned, I say let's call it a day with this and get back to business. We can be sure it won't happen again.

Edited by NightFright

On 4/6/2020 at 12:08 AM, Austinado said:

Is there a Cringe section in DW?

Post Hell. But you will never see this part of DW unless someone hack and bang Linguica's brain out of him. Which will never happen too.

3 hours ago, NightFright said:

As far as I am concerned, I say let's call it a day with this and get back to business. We can be sure it won't happen again.

As nice as that would be, I'm afraid that some of Tormentor's subsequent responses cast doubts over the honesty of his apology. For instance, he explained that he deliberately chose not credit Laz Rojas for taking half his map without permission solely so that nobody would predict his easter egg map, and further, threatened to shut down the entirety of Realm667 in case the community refuses to forgive him. Whilst these statements were posted on a different forum board, since the Realm667 website is an important resource used by many in the community at large, irrespective of forum board preference, I feel like such an announcement should be publicly known. I can only hope that we have indeed weathered the storm as said and hoped by most but when the simplest follow-up to the apology results in even more controversial and false claims being made (such as claiming that he only took a snippet of Rheingold, when in reality as Bouncy and Dragonfly showed it's almost the entirety of the map that was taken), I think lingering doubts and suspicions will persist until hopefully these, too, are cleared up once and for all to everyone's satisfaction.

Edited by Dynamo

I personally fully believe Torm's response as there is a difference between copying whole location (Rheingold) and copying small rooms & connecting them differently.

Also, think his current statement about Rheingold (and Epic) does not contradict the old one. 

I would guess that since Tormentor is known for his copy+paste mapping he could/should have a flow like described (which is actually also a nice idea/advice for mappers who otherwise don't finish a project -- not copying pieces of other maps, but drawing incomplete pieces and assembling them together later in a large map)

Edited by ZZYZX

I realize that my words came out wrong yesterday. The reason I said this felt awkward to me was because I have played some of those maps in the past and enjoyed them. I felt pretty bad knowing that mappers, who put a lot of work into their projects, were emotionally hurt by this discovery and rightfully so. I don't want them to think that their hard working project has been soiled by this discovery. I am certainly not going to go out of my way and tell people not to play their projects because of this incident. I can only hope that this doesn't happen again.

It's good that Torm has responded to this. I'm not sure how much I can truly believe his words. But, if Dragonfly is willing to accept his apology, than I can too. I'm just glad that this can end peacefully.

Honest mistake really, If I was a mapper and had his set up, I bet I'd eventually make the same mistake too

Pretty sad to see this and while im hesitant to even post I do think the right people need to go through Torms maps and see how much of this hes done before. Its possible that were only scratching the surface of a nasty habit. Its also maybe (and scarily) a possibility that other mappers have done this before and they just havent been caught yet. Hopefully this serves as a valuable example to people in general that you will be caught eventually for bad decisions and turn away new mappers from this option of mapping, if you could even call it that.

16 hours ago, onetruepurple said:

I can sort of understand plagiarising somebody's sectors or brushwork. (Sort of.)

But why would anybody need to plagiarise a map for Wolf3D, which to my impression is the simplest FPS to create for?? 

People are lazy.