Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Skullhacker

What are you doing to keep yourself busy?

I was a student from home in a rural area for close to 3 years and finished studying right when all of this stuff went down. I'm quite used to being at home and being fairly isolated, but it's quite strange now having to fill the time with, more or less, whatever I want. It's the kind of thing I'd have thought I'd love, but don't so much in practice.

After a few short-lived attempts at trying Linux in the past, I'm now giving it a more serious go and loving using and learning more about it. Turns out not giving up after the first frustrating hurdle yields better results, who knew...? After I figure out a few more bits and pieces, I'm going to spend some time learning Python. I've also started practising drumming again, I hadn't touched the sticks in close to 12 months prior to all this happening and it's a great way to kill some time. If anyone themselves plays and is interested: specifically, I'm working out how to be more comfortable permutating 5, 7, 11 & 15 stroke rolls. It's slow going, but I want to be more comfortable with general timing "space awareness", I guess you could call it.

Spoiler

A relatively simpler one with a simple 7/8 pattern and permutated 5 stroke rolls.

I was hoping to fit in a bunch more exercise, but a very annoying injury (5 slipped discs) has flared up quite badly lately and made me fairly painfully immobile, which adds to the frustration, but it's a great excuse to spend more time learning with the computer.

I was bad and skateboarded a couple miles.  I kept my distance from people and they kept their distance, same as before all this shit.   Sometimes I do flying kicks.   Tried a little of Quake Champions today and did some Doom editing of course.   Also watched The Predator (2018) and it was freaking awesome.   It's not an imitation of the original like some people have said.   It made some funny references to it with new meanings, heh.  I drank a couple beers and ate three tacos.

Attempting to learn Pascal and tinker on a few source codes, currently looking at those of Catacomb 3D and @Arno's CatacombGL, just for the sake of being productive. Though I find myself still spending more time on DOOM... and other 90's FPS's.

Drawing, playing video games (other than doom), remixing, making mashups, editing a video here and there and map making (for doom in that case).

I guess I'm busy trying to figure out why I got a notification for this thread at the moment

The notification system on this forum is random 

Mapping! I hope to create an 11-map set (Doom II 1st episode). I finally got a MAP01 I'm happy about so now I can relax on my weird hangups about first maps.

50 minutes ago, Mr. Freeze said:

Lots of Path of Exile. 

try Grim Dawn sometime, i think it's far better with the Ashes of Malmouth expansion pack (and the Forgotten Gods expansion, but the vanilla game alone simply isn't enough content).

playing wads and Quake 1 levels, and trying games like Powerslave / Exhumed (think an Egyptian-themed Doom clone, for those who never heard of it). listening to music. same as any other day, i haven't changed my lifestyle one bit as i haven't needed to. now everyone is living the same way i have for almost a decade.

4 minutes ago, versionfiv said:

try Grim Dawn sometime, i think it's far better with the Ashes of Malmouth expansion pack (and the Forgotten Gods expansion, but the vanilla game alone simply isn't enough content).

Grim Dawn runs like poop on my PC, but I agree it's a well-made game. 

5 minutes ago, versionfiv said:

playing wads and Quake 1 levels, and trying games like Powerslave / Exhumed (think an Egyptian-themed Doom clone, for those who never heard of it). listening to music. same as any other day, i haven't changed my lifestyle one bit as i haven't needed to. now everyone is living the same way i have for almost a decade.

You are doing what I'm doing, except I don't do Quake.

Gladt to know I'm not alone on Powerslave.

The same things I always do because I'm a loser who never leaves the house. Only difference is that I'm doing my college work online :p

It's like being on summer break, except not. It's weird

I've been sifting through old robotics projects and trying to rebuild them, my prize possesion being Retard Bot, who I build at age 13, I rebuilt most of him but he needs a proper battery

1. Editing Doom
  2. Playing some No Man's Sky
  3. Hacking at the yard (yard work)
  4. Listening to music
  5. Watching stuff on Netflix and shitty cable tv
  6. Posting rubbish on Doomworld
  7. Lurking on Discord
  8. Drawing stuff
  9. Baking bread

i play doom, wolfenstein 3d, quake, half life, lots of other games, also making mods and maps for said games

EDIT: also making shitty games in fps creator

4 minutes ago, cambreaKer said:

i play doom, wolfenstein 3d, quake, half life, lots of other games, also making mods and maps for said games

EDIT: also making shitty games in fps creator

Would you happen to be the one showing his progress on a Doom fangame on Discord? Precisely the Slayer's Rampage discord.

Other than playing Doom? Playing other games like GTA San Andreas, ES4: Oblivion, stuff like that. Also been working on adding mods to stuff, but that's successful about 80% of the time. And I just joined here, so there's that too. I figured that if I could learn something about mods, it'd be here.

Other than playing Doom?

*crickets*

Drinking beer, eating like shit, looking at memes, etc.. Wow, I really am an idiot. Oh wait! Playing Animal Crossing too. The weather's supposed to clear up, so I plan on doing some yard work. Been recording myself chugging beers and sending it to my friends a lot. Been entertaining myself with Doom shovelware ISOs.

Edited by lazy91geek

Reading artistic books, drawing, meditating, training with heavy things i can find at home like metal chairs (gyms are sadly closed).

2 hours ago, versionfiv said:

Glad to see another fan of Grim Dawn! Both expansions are a great addition to the game itself! The recent addition of monster totems gives another incentive to explore the world and dungeons.

I'll have to try Path of Exile again in the future. For some reason, I always ran into issues trying to play it in the past. I did notice that it plays much better now than the last time I played it. (which was about 3 years ago).

I'll definitely give PoE 2 a try. That gameplay video of it was awesome!

I've been pretty busy with work. Given that I couldn't travel to India, I finished writing a book two months early and have a bunch of other stuff to do (including translation work in addition to the usual stuff) - at least a month's worth waiting to be done as things stand.

Otherwise I have been walking/hiking a few miles each day (weather permitting) and keeping in touch with relatives and colleagues in other continents a little more than usual.

Trying to find things on Netflix (etc.) to watch to fill in what spare time remains. Just done with Tin Star (weird show) and am part way through Person of Interest (I didn't watch it when it was on originally, because I assumed it wasn't very good, or else would be cancelled prematurely, like most good shows on major networks).

The cats seem to be enjoying the extra attention they are getting.

I was starting to learn more about Blender finally. Then "Drawing fundamentals" popped up in my YouTube feed, now I am practising how to draw properly. Always has been a childhood dream of mine and could come in handy, when Doom mapping. Both Blender and drawing actually.

5 minutes ago, elend said:

I was starting to learn more about Blender finally. Then "Drawing fundamentals" popped up in my YouTube feed, now I am practising how to draw properly. Always has been a childhood dream of mine and could come in handy, when Doom mapping. Both Blender and drawing actually.

Blender is hard, do you have any tips?

TheNoob_Gamer: Yes, try Blender 2.8 and onwards. The interface got cleaned up quite a bit and is now way less imposing. Also, check out YouTube for Blender 2.8 tutorials. My favourites are from "Grant Abbitt". You can follow them along and will notice that it's not really that hard to basically get going. Remember how you learned Doom Builder. It seemed hard at first, too but once you played around with it, it got gradually more easy and the editor revealed itself to you. Same goes for Blender.

1: Work on my project: Kaiser X

2: Sleep...

3: Play with friends in my discord server Doom or something else

4: Talk with people in discord

5: See youtube

1 hour ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Blender is hard, do you have any tips?

I love Blender so much. A basic thing about Blender is that about 80% of the results come from 20% of the features. Since it's so open source and there's so many interesting features, you'll find that a lot of the program is nice for optimizing things, and it doesn't take long to learn. I learned the basics and more through a video series on Yt during a two week road trip in which I had zero access to a computer (much like my current situation). Now I'm mainly using Blender to make models for my games in Unity 3D.