Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CasualScrub

The pistol. Love it or hate it?

What are your feelings towards the Pistol?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. What are your feelings towards the Pistol?

The pistol is like the ugly duckling of Doom's weapon roster. Heavily derided, forgotten about, even the new game Eternal elected to remove it from the roster entirely. But I'm sure the hate for the pistol isn't universal. How do you feel about it?

Hey, you can stunlock zombies (including shotgunners and chaingunners), lost souls and imps with it. Also 100% accuracy if  you can wait for the animations.

Spoiler

Doom 5's pistol is actually the best one in any Doom game.

Edited by TheNoob_Gamer

5 minutes ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Hey, you can stunlock zombies, lost souls and imps with it. Also 100% accuracy if  you can wait for the animations.

Reveal hidden contents

Doom 5's pistol is actually the best one in any Doom game.

Chaingun is 100% accuract with its first bullet as well. Also, it's animation is quicker a little

Spoiler

But you can't use it without Cheat Engine.

Neutral, don't care about it at all, any other weapon renders it obsolete.

It's there if you have nothing else but quickly replaced by the chaingun- but it's better than nothing!

Negative, that's why I use the modified pistol with faster rate of fire and zero spread.

I used to hate the Pistol. But then I did a challenge run of Doom 2 where I played the entire IWAD with nothing but the Pistol, Shotgun and Rocket Launcher (no more than 20 Rockets can be carried at any time)and now I don't hate the Pistol anymore. Plus it is really really good at sniping enemies from far away and stun-locking lost souls. The pistol might not be good in the IWADs but it does have its uses in PWADs

I don't think pistol is very fun and pointful, even what described is very niche in my opinion. Could be more useful if it didn't share ammo with chaingun. If it was up to me, I would either have shotgun as a starting weapon or merged pistol and shotgun into assault rifle or something like this.

It's a shame because Doom Eternal's pistol looked genuinely useful and the kind of thing you'd see people doing their own challenge run with. Does decent enough damage from the looks of it

The pistol is awesome in the PSX version with a certain Game Shark code activated to make it shoot fast as fuck! 

I actually love pistol at the start of any wad. Using it a lot makes me feel good of killing so many weak demons with it & especially when I need to save shells. (Depends on pwads.)

Of course, it becomes obsolete once the chaingun takes the spotlight.

I use it to shoot switches.

Obviously it becomes obsolete real quick, however doom(2016) solved that problem by making it have infinite ammo.

I been thinking about this recently and came to the conclusion that if the infinite pistal ammo existed in classic doom, people would love it more.

Mybe someone already made such a mod?

20 minutes ago, Aku said:

doom(2016) solved that problem by making it have infinite ammo.

It was still obsolete though, shotgun was always a better choice.

21 minutes ago, Aku said:

I use it to shoot switches

I just punch them unless they are like Sigil.

It's a pretty cool weapon that's plagued by low damage output and the typical damage/health problems classic doom games (especially 2) suffer from. Doom 3 pistol was able to shine more with the enemy health scale down and reliable unreliability of the shotgun.

Hate the pistol in Doom 1 & 2. Hate the feel and the sound of it. 

Edited by flouter : i forgot to clarify that i'm talking about og doom oops. alt fire in doom 4 is cool though.

1 hour ago, The Doommer said:

It was still obsolete though, shotgun was always a better choice.

For getting rid of the wandering possessed, the pistol was my preferred choice so I saved ammo. The alt-fire could pop their heads in one shot.

I'm actually pretty positive towards the pistol. In terms of the classic games, I find the pistol kind of satisfying to kill zombies and Imps with. Even in Doom 2016, it's a nice fallback weapon when I run out of ammo because my aim sucks, even if its damage output is low.

No matter how I look at that sprite, I cannot see a Beretta 92FS. I qualified with the 92FS (M9) in the Army and I used one regularly. If anything, it's a short, fat, weirdly shaped 92FS (and I'm talking about in the correct aspect ratio). Once I saw the Doom 3 pistol however - it looked almost exactly like what I thought the sprite would look like in 3D. Especially if you look at the model from the same angle as the sprite. I love that Skulltag introduced the world model sprite and made it look like the Doom 3 pistol.

As far as gameplay-wise, it's quickly replaced in practically every application by the chaingun. The only use for it I see once you have the chaingun is in the very rare cases when you want to fire only one bullet for whatever reason - perhaps extreme ammo rationing.  

It's good for stun locking if you haven't acquired the chaingun yet. That's about it. Killing enemies with it can be pretty grueling. Props to people who do UV-Tyson runs.

I like to use it for a short period of time at the beginning of a map or map set, and I think it fills that role perfectly. However, its use should be required sparingly.

2 hours ago, Phobos Anomaly said:

As far as gameplay-wise, it's quickly replaced in practically every application by the chaingun. The only use for it I see once you have the chaingun is in the very rare cases when you want to fire only one bullet for whatever reason - perhaps extreme ammo rationing.  

Shooting switches!

I usually play with a small Dehacked patch I made that ups the pistol's firing rate and gives it 100% accuracy. In that case it's OK.

I love it because it means I can appreciate the shotgun or another weapon when I get it. It's also a lot better in a pinch than just using your fist.

On 4/6/2020 at 8:18 PM, plums said:

I usually play with a small Dehacked patch I made that ups the pistol's firing rate and gives it 100% accuracy. In that case it's OK.

How do you do this in DEHACKED?

47 minutes ago, maxmanium said:

As far as I know, there are at least 2 ways to achieve this effect.

1. Spam the CheckReload codepointer state after the FirePistol state (see scifista's topic for download and reference)
  2. Remove the "Refire" codepointer entirely (see Eviternity)

4 hours ago, maxmanium said:

I have a few tweaks in my autoload Dehacked file but I'm pretty sure this is the entirety of the pistol. If you wanted to speed it up more you'd have to edit out a few more frames, this is enough for me to make using the pistol not feel like a complete chore while still being a weapon you want to upgrade from when you can.

Patch File for DeHackEd v3.0
# Created with WhackEd4 1.1.0 BETA
# Note: Use the pound sign ('#') to start comment lines.

Doom version = 19
Patch format = 6

Frame 15
Duration = 1
Next frame = 10

Frame 16
Duration = 0

If you have nothing else, it's OK as long as you don't have to fight anything tougher than imps with it. Pistol-killing demons already feels like fighting a baron with a shotgun. In general, the chaingun is the better pistol.

The only time I use it after getting a shotgun or chaingun is in maps that have extreme ammunition rationing. If for some reason I don't manage to kill an imp with one shotgun hit, I'll switch to the pistol to finish them off. If I don't finish off a pinky in two shots, switch to the pistol. Because it may just be one more shot to kill them, and I don't want to waste two by using the chaingun if I don't have to. For the most part though, I'll just use the chaingun if I want a bullet weapon. Click the mouse once, two shots on target. Click, click, click, click.