Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Straal99

I love Doom

Amen! Great to see new people coming into the community, especially those for whom the classic games weren't their first experience of the series.

Reassures old-timers like me that the love for these games isn't just nostalgia :)

It's a great series to have as a favourite because my god, thanks to the passion and creativity and endurance of this community there's more Doom available to us in every kind of flavour than we could get through in a lifetime!

Hey, I'm glad you went out of your way to check out the first Doom game that started it all! It might not look like much today, but the original Doom was actually considered to be quite spooky in some spots! Regardless; the graphics might seem a bit dated by today's standards, but the gameplay is definitely still in a league of its own compared to even many modern shooters IMO.

Welcome to the club!

The coolest thing about Doom is that it reads "Wood" when the logo is upside-down (due to the styling of the letters).

I once had the lid of the 2016 board game upside-down on my table. My girlfriend entered, looked at the logo, and asked "What's 'Wood'?"

Welcome aboard! It really is addictive. Doom isn't just a game at this point. It's a lifestyle. A corny platitude, yes, but a true one.

2 hours ago, noisebloom said:

The coolest thing about Doom is that it reads "Wood" when the logo is upside-down (due to the styling of the letters).

I once had the lid of the 2016 board game upside-down on my table. My girlfriend entered, looked at the logo, and asked "What's 'Wood'?"

it also reads "mood" in reverse

16 hours ago, Straal99 said:

I discovered Doom a few years ago with Doom 2016 but it didn't caught my attention at first 'cause I thought "meh, another shooter, I don't like shooters" but recently due the coronavirus quarantine I decided to give the game a try. I played Doom 2016 at first and I liked it a lot but then I played Doom 1993 and I just fell in love.

Everyone hates first person shooters until they play Doom.

I've been playing video games since the first time waaaaaaaay back in 1977, I happened upon a Space Invaders arcade cabinet in a local restaurant.  My dad thought it was just a fad and a phase and that in time, I'd grow out of it.  I'm almost 50.  Still hasn't happened.

Though I've owned many systems through the years, spent many hours in arcades (especially during the Golden Age of arcades, back when I was a teenager), and played a hell of a lot of games across several different genres (a handful of which I put considerable time into), there's only really a couple of titles that I keep coming back to.  One of them is Daytona USA...owned that on the Saturn (it was actually much much better than its graphical flaws would suggest), and I now have it on both the Xbox 360 (Live Arcade) and the Sega Dreamcast (an original copy that I've had for roughly 20 years...ditto the system).  Every now and then, I just get a hankerin' to play it.  I own both versions because one delivers the arcade experience intact and better than ever (360), and the other has lot of extras and is equally fun in a slightly different way (Dreamcast).  

The other title...well, duh, Doom.  After spending a whole lot of hours with Jaguar Wolfenstein 3D, I definitely discovered that first-person shooters agreed with me.  I didn't own a PC of my own at the time, and through the video game mags that I'd buy on occasion, I started seeing previews for the 32X and Jaguar versions of Doom; one of them stated that the Jaguar Doom would actually be an even BETTER version than the PC version (I had never played it, or seen it in action, so I didn't have anything to compare Jag Doom to at the time).  It looked very cool in screenshots, so when it came out, I snatched it right up.

My initial reaction?  Meh.  I thought it was kinda cool, but I just had this feeling that it wasn't all it could be...it's hard to explain.  Just felt like something was missing, wasn't quite right.  My experiences with Doom almost ended right there.  A friend had the 32X version around the same time and that only felt more incomplete..almost primitive by comparison. 

I bought a PlayStation not long after release, and then saw that a new version of Doom had been released for it...and not only was it Doom, but much of Doom II had been included as well!  And some exclusive levels.  And added lighting effects.  New and improved sound effects.  Lots of killer reviews.  So though part of me was thinking "Well, I already played this on the Jag", I bought it.  And THAT'S when Doom truly took for me...and it was those awesome Aubrey Hodges ambient tunes that took it all to an insanely high level.  It was just so damned IMMERSIVE...every so often, usually out of nowhere, I'd just take it out (at some point, I bought a PSOne with the screen attachment, which was incredibly kind to the game's visuals), and play it again...usually stopping at Perfect Hatred, due to the uber-choppy frame rate.

Then came Doom 64...that one took some time to get used to (mostly due to the revamped visuals), and at first it felt off...but then I started to feel it, and enjoyed it quite a bit.  Playing through it now on the Nintendo Switch, and as I've detailed elsewhere, I'm finding it more polarizing this time around...the level design and occasional obscurity of what to do and where to go next has been aggravating at times.  But when D64 works, it WORKS.  

I had never played any PC version of Classic Doom until I bought Doom 3, for the Xbox (the version that had Doom I and Doom II included).  I didn't like Doom 3 much at all...it felt more like a tech demo, and the environment and having to flip back and forth between a weapon and a flashlight never felt like much fun.  Never clicked.  For some reason I had expected the PSX Doom music and sound FX to be a part of this version of Doom I...when they weren't, and those meh midis were there instead...I was done.  It was back to PSX Doom for my Doom fixes, and remained that way for many years...

...until Xbox 360 Live Doom.  And Aubrey Hodges releasing an Extended PlayStation Mix of his Doom tunes for that game (and some previously unreleased ones as well).  Wow, here's Doom with a consistent and smooth frame rate that never dips, with much better resolution, and here's all of the textures...damn, now I'm seeing what I was missing all of these years, having played only the stripped-down Jag and PS levels.  And I can still enjoy even better versions of Hodges' ambient brilliance through a nearby laptop.  In a way, this was bittersweet...all of those years spent enjoying PS Doom, and just like that, it was going to be just about impossible to go back to.  

And now it's the mostly the Switch for all of my Doom needs.  Small screen is forgiving to the visuals much the way the PSOne screen was, and I can play just chillin on a couch, laying in bed, whenever.  And I can choose from Doom I, Doom II, Doom 64...that instant accessibility makes what's going on 25 years of pure love for a gaggle of simple GAMES that much sweeter.  So yeah, I love these damned Doom games too.

On a side note, the only other FPS (outside of Jag Wolfenstein) that I've really spent extended time with was the original Bioshock.  Thought it was cool, but once I finished it, I never really felt the urge to go through it again (for one of my closest friends, Bioshock is to him what Doom is to me...he's still rabid for it, even now).  Didn't really get into Quake (I tried), and Doom 3 did nothing for me.  I've thought about trying Doom 2016 at some point, but based on what I've seen of it, I'm not sure that I'd really enjoy it that much...maybe in time.  Just don't know if it would have that "magic".   

Edited by Devils950003

That's why we're all here...

2 hours ago, Devils950003 said:

My dad thought it was just a fad and a phase and that in time, I'd grow out of it.  I'm almost 50.

Yeah man! I'm more than 50 and still playing. 

I think the original Doom just got it right, at the right time, for SOOOO many people, at the right age. I played other FPS things around that time and a bit after (wolf 3d, catacombs 3d?, ROTT, Duke 3d, etc.) but nothing caught my imagination quite like Doom did. And, like everyone here I guess, that never went away.

I remember introducing the shareware version to my classmates at college and we played it on the college computers (the now defunct Long Ashton Research Station...) and I remember staying up waaaay too late playing through. I fairly quickly got the full version - Doom 2 first I believe followed by Ultimate Doom and then Final Doom, Hell to pay and Perdition's Gate. Still got the original CDs...

As has been discussed multiple times elsewhere, the massive longevity for me thing was of course the really fast availability of custom WADs (I have several shovelware CDs of shitty old WADs as well from back in the day) - some of which were actually pretty good even back then and I still reload some occasionally ('Corrupt Priest' anyone?).

I even tried my hand at level making - all pretty rubbish TBH, but I loved the fact that it was possible to make custom levels right from the start (or so it seemed anyway) was amazing at the time. I do occasionally revisit with Doom Builder 2, but I just don't have the skill or patience, so I really appreciate the effort that others here, and elsewhere, go to to make new content.

I just find it kind of zen to load up a wad I know well, and just do it.

35 minutes ago, smeghammer said:

That's why we're all here...

Yeah man! I'm more than 50 and still playing. 

I think the original Doom just got it right, at the right time, for SOOOO many people, at the right age. I played other FPS things around that time and a bit after (wolf 3d, catacombs 3d?, ROTT, Duke 3d, etc.) but nothing caught my imagination quite like Doom did. And, like everyone here I guess, that never went away.

I remember introducing the shareware version to my classmates at college and we played it on the college computers (the now defunct Long Ashton Research Station...) and I remember staying up waaaay too late playing through. I fairly quickly got the full version - Doom 2 first I believe followed by Ultimate Doom and then Final Doom, Hell to pay and Perdition's Gate. Still got the original CDs...

As has been discussed multiple times elsewhere, the massive longevity for me thing was of course the really fast availability of custom WADs (I have several shovelware CDs of shitty old WADs as well from back in the day) - some of which were actually pretty good even back then and I still reload some occasionally ('Corrupt Priest' anyone?).

I even tried my hand at level making - all pretty rubbish TBH, but I loved the fact that it was possible to make custom levels right from the start (or so it seemed anyway) was amazing at the time. I do occasionally revisit with Doom Builder 2, but I just don't have the skill or patience, so I really appreciate the effort that others here, and elsewhere, go to to make new content.

I just find it kind of zen to load up a wad I know well, and just do it.

As a father to an 11-year-old daughter (who loves spending time with her), and as someone who runs a business AND manages to squeeze in over 3 hours of exercise time a day, something else that I appreciate and love about classic Doom is that it's relatively easy to jump in and out of.  I simply don't have that much time for a lot of in-depth FPS these days, and the learning curves and exploration times that come with them.  I used to spend 4-6 hours at a time quite often as I was working my way through Bioshock.  Can't really do that anymore.  

If I have some free time and my daughter is busy chatting with friends or doing something else...I'll play Doom for 1-3 hours.  Sometimes a little longer if everyone else is asleep and I'm still not tired.  Having the convenience of a handheld and versions that aren't compromised in any way and are even BETTER than the originals really makes it that much easier and satisfying to fire up some Doom.  Absolute dream come true.  

On 4/6/2020 at 5:12 PM, holaareola said:

Amen! Great to see new people coming into the community, especially those for whom the classic games weren't their first experience of the series.

Reassures old-timers like me that the love for these games isn't just nostalgia :)

It's a great series to have as a favourite because my god, thanks to the passion and creativity and endurance of this community there's more Doom available to us in every kind of flavour than we could get through in a lifetime!

We are also very funny.

I'm going to hijack this thread for a second as I felt like making a similar thread would just flood the thread listing. (As a sidenote, I wasn't able to find rules anywhere on this site. Am I blind?)

I personally played Doom first time when I bought it from Xbox Live Arcade in late 2000s. This was the time when I was playing a lot of Halo 3, on PC I played UT99 as well as CS 1.6. I beat all episodes and I did enjoy the experience, but I didn't really think much else about it. But for the past few years I've been getting more and more involved with Doom, trying out a lot of silly mods in ZDoom (and later GZDoom) and even trying out mapping for a moment (even though the wad I made is long gone now). What really makes Doom special to me is how differently it can be played depending how you feel like playing. Sometimes it's great to explore all wacky stuff that you wouldn't expect be in Doom, but other times it feels great to play it in oldschoolish style, trying and challenging yourself in new mapsets. It's amazing to see how such an old game still keeps breathing and it still keeps bringing more people like me and Straal99 around it. Not many game can claim that.

It hit me recently. "Why am I not part of Doomworld?" I've known this place's existence for quite some time and I always enjoy taking a peek at Cacowards every year. Perhaps it might be because I do not play Doom 24/7 (My backlog is massive!), but is that really a solid reason to back down? Either way, I did a change today. Hi.

(I was also shocked to see that Mara was not taken at all, considering how old this site is. Old account purging or did I hit the jackpot?)

It is biologically impossible not to love Doom, unless you get frustrated like a bitch on nightmare.

On 4/6/2020 at 11:37 AM, Straal99 said:

I am making this thread only because I feel the need to say this and I can't think of a better site than doomworld. I just love this game. I discovered Doom a few years ago with Doom 2016 but it didn't caught my attention at first 'cause I thought "meh, another shooter, I don't like shooters" but recently due the coronavirus quarantine I decided to give the game a try. I played Doom 2016 at first and I liked it a lot but then I played Doom 1993 and I just fell in love, it has become my favorite game of all time and I haven't played another game that made me feel what Doom made me feel. I just love this game and it will be my favourite game and saga for all my life.

Long live the cacodemon.

PS: Excuse my mistakes, I am not an english native speaker :)

Classic Doom is a perfect storm of awesome.

Part of the magic of classic Doom is how it was on so many places so many times and it ends up being so personal to a lot of people, reading/hearing their stories is always a treat. I like this thread.