Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomerNL

How do you like your Doom game nowadays? freelook? or classic style?

I'm just curious on how most people play these wads these days...

do yall still use no freelook no jumping no crouching? and no mods mostly?

OR do you mostly play doom with or without weapon mods but with freelook and jumping/crouching enabled?

for me i usually play most wads as vanilla as possible after i beat them i usually go back with something like brutal doom or project brutality with that i use freelook..

but if its a wad i never played before its def classic style for me..

i usually use prboom+ for that and if i want mods and freelook and stuff i usually go to gzdoom

what about you guys ? :)

pst: can my gtx 1050 ti 4gb run eternal btw? at solid 60fps low and no dips?

rest of system is ryzen 5 1500x,16gb ddr4 3200,ssd

Too used to freelook these days myself, but I keep jump/crouch disabled on vanilla/limit-removing maps.

14 minutes ago, scalliano said:

Too used to freelook these days myself, but I keep jump/crouch disabled on vanilla/limit-removing maps.

how do i know which wads are vanilla/limit removing and which are not? or does it always say that in the readme's it usually comes with lol

I only play with freelook and jumping whenever the wad requires it, been mainly playing my wads vanilla like on Crispy Doom and PrBoom+.

I do like to play some nice mod from time to time, my current main ones are Slayer's Rampage and Final Doomer, the latter plays fine without freelook.

2 minutes ago, DoomerNL said:

or does it always say that in the readme's it usually comes with lol

Yes.

I usually stick to the official .wads and I never play them with jumping, freelook, or crouching. That's straight up cheating.

I don't even use a mouse for horizontal aiming. I realize Doom originally supported it but I have always preferred a gamepad for any shooter that doesn't have full-on freelook.

Hell, I beat Sigil on UV using the keyboard-only configuration because all I had handy was my laptop without a mouse or gamepad (I was visiting relatives).

Classic look is fun and I like that it sticks true to how Doom was originally played, but I typically leave freelook to the limit-removing ports, predominantly GZDoom, and have classic look on software rendering ports. Freelook is often my go-to because it's satisfying to have that aiming ability at times.

Depends on the wad, usually if it has jumping and crouching or if it's a gameplay wad I'll use freelook, but if it's vanilla-styled I'll use classic. I tend to play the latter.

No freelook, no jumping, no crouching, no mods.  If a mapset requires or even recommends any of the first 3, I won't play it.  If it requires the last, and you have to get the mod separately, I won't play it.  If it bundles the mod in ... honestly, there's still a 90% chance I won't play it.

now since we are talking a lot about classic ;p what are some great classic style wads?

are the hell revealed wads for classic play? i havent tried those yet i heard it was really good

what about ancient aliens and alien vandetta? is that preffered with classic settings?

I'm open minded towards vertical look and jumping since those are thing you can do in other Doom engine games, but I'd never enable them for classic style wads (wads that weren't made with them in mind).

For classic, vanilla-style maps, I play using DoomRetro. It does allow jumping and mouselook, but I keep them off. besides, because it's a software renderer, looking up and down causes warping anyway.

I only use GZDoom for wads and mods that intend or require you to use jumping and mouselook.

Edited by Phobos Anomaly

Freelook always, and it has been since 2003 or so. No autoaim, always run on and best graphics settings at all times. I'll jump and crouch if the map was built with that in mind (I know for a lot of maps they'd break progression, so I'm careful with these).

As for mods... Only if they're built in. I've never cared for the stand-alone ones.

I generally play with mouselook on, but I take special care to avoid shooting triggers that I shouldn’t be able to get at yet. I keep jump and crouch disabled though.

Freelook without autoaim. I've got some setting in GZDoom that disables jumping in certain WADs, not sure if that kind of thing is something the WAD author can decide.

Classic! Run and gun action is what I crave. I don't really like mods, but I'm cool with DeHackEd patches. Use PrBoom+ primarily, but a lot of cool new source ports have dropped recently, so I've been trying those out too. RUDE has its own "unholy massacre" mode that makes nightmare look like ultraviolence in comparison. Fun stuff!

I did try out WhatDaFuck7.pk3 for Zandronum the other day though. So ridiculous. I'm not gonna pretend I wasn't entertained though.

1 hour ago, DoomerNL said:

I'm just curious on how most people play these wads these days...

do yall still use no freelook no jumping no crouching? and no mods mostly?

OR do you mostly play doom with or without weapon mods but with freelook and jumping/crouching enabled?

for me i usually play most wads as vanilla as possible after i beat them i usually go back with something like brutal doom or project brutality with that i use freelook..

but if its a wad i never played before its def classic style for me..

i usually use prboom+ for that and if i want mods and freelook and stuff i usually go to gzdoom

what about you guys ? :)

pst: can my gtx 1050 ti 4gb run eternal btw? at solid 60fps low and no dips?

rest of system is ryzen 5 1500x,16gb ddr4 3200,ssd

Both styles are good. I enjoy both of them. 

Classic in SP (unless certain maps tell me to use modern stuff, eg. freelook to shoot levers & jumping), modern in MP.

Edited by InDOOMnesia

I use freelook because i'm to used to it thanks to other games and its kinda hard to change that habit.

Other things like jumping and crouching are disabled.

1 minute ago, InDOOMnesia said:

Classic in SP (unless certain maps tell me to use modern stuff, eg. autoaiming & jumping), modern in MP.

Isn't autoaiming on vanilla?

3 minutes ago, Danzer said:

Isn't autoaiming on vanilla?

Ouch, shouldn't have posted after only waking up a few minutes.

That depends; if I'm running a modern partial or total conversion that requires GZDoom, I'll use free-look. Otherwise it's classic style for me.

1 minute ago, Agentbromsnor said:

That depends; if I'm running a modern partial or total conversion that requires GZDoom, I'll use free-look. Otherwise it's classic style for me.

Same. This is the only proper way to run Doom.

I'm used to playing with freelook on, autoaim disabled.  Jump/crouch enabled, but honor code.  Crouch only used to dodge projectiles in tight quarters, jump only used for damaging floors and backtracking.  Also lifts that are small enough to be vaulted over.  If I haven't been to an area, I don't use jumping; only for revisiting an area that requires a difficult straferun to clear a gap.  I don't think that's necessarily unreasonable.

If the map forces jump/crouch off, then I play as it was designed.  No big deal.  Also learned recently that GZDoom has an option that disables freelook and forces autoaim, in which case, I do the same.

Edit: Also tend to use gameplay mods I developed, for testing purposes.

Usually freelook on, autoaiming off. I think that much is an improvement over vanilla, and let's me marvel at the map architecture easier. Jumping and crouching though, eehhh, I can do without, even on modern maps(unless it either implements it well, or has mechanics attached to them). Even then I'll go back to no freelook/autoaim on if I'm feeling particularly nostalgic.

nice :) it seems that most people like it classic most of the time which i do too!! also what is your fav source port for classic wads? mine's prboom+ and gzdoom for mods...

i recently started playing all the doom games again i just finished ultimate doom,about to start doom 2,only thing is for doom 2016 and doom eternal i have to play that on my ps4 pro sinece my gpu in my pc is only a gtx 1050 ti lol but thats ok the new doom's feels actually really good on a gamepad

1 minute ago, HorrorMovieGuy said:

Usually freelook on, autoaiming off. I think that much is an improvement over vanilla, and let's me marvel at the map architecture easier. Jumping and crouching though, eehhh, I can do without, even on modern maps(unless it either implements it well, or has mechanics attached to them). Even then I'll go back to no freelook/autoaim on if I'm feeling particularly nostalgic.

wait i thought vanilla had auto aim? back in the 90s?

3 minutes ago, DoomerNL said:

wait i thought vanilla had auto aim? back in the 90s?

Yes it does. Back when freelook was not a thing, the only way to shoot monsters above or below you was autoaim.