Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomerNL

How do you like your Doom game nowadays? freelook? or classic style?

Just now, InDOOMnesia said:

Yes it does. Back when freelook was not a thing, the only way to shoot monsters above or below you was autoaim.

yeah but without freelook and auto aim how would u be able to shoot above you? lol

1 minute ago, Phobos Anomaly said:

It does, the vertical autoaim is obviously present, but there is a tiny autoaim effect for horizontal aiming as well

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Autoaim

ahh i see makes sense... are you the guy who made phobos anomaly wad btw?

14 minutes ago, DoomerNL said:

ahh i see makes sense... are you the guy who made phobos anomaly wad btw?

Nope. I've never made a wad. I dabbled with level design, but it's not my forte, really. I've been using the moniker "Phobos Anomaly" since I was a kid in the mid to late 90's, and I've used it as my Xbox Live Gamertag since the service first launched, and other forms of identification online. The level, E1M8, features the first appearance of my favorite Doom monster, the Baron of Hell, uses my favorite Doom music, "Sign of Evil", and freaked me out as a kid. The mysterious nature of the gateway always creeped me out. I also like what it implies - "Phobos" being Greek for "Fear" and "Anomaly" meaning something unusual, unexpected, unexplained and not normal. So it also serves as a convoluted way of saying "Fear of the unexplained."

Also, the Roman equivalent to the Greek god "Phobos" is "Timor", and my first name is Tim.

Plus, it's a way that fellow Doom fans can identify me as "one of us"

Edited by Phobos Anomaly

34 minutes ago, DoomerNL said:

wait i thought vanilla had auto aim? back in the 90s?

It did have, yeah. I think I was confusing in my wording: I usually turn autoaim off, and freelook on is what I meant.

I'll be completely sincere, I prefer to have more freedom of movement on my gameplays and always enable Freelook, Jumping and Crouching, also mostly play with Mods such as R6W or horror mods because why not?

It's fun tbh.

Classic AF. No freelook. Autoaim on. Manual running. Low resolution / detail mode. 8-bit color. Software renderer. Crispy Doom, Doom Retro and Eternity are my favorite non-GZDoom source ports.

40 minutes ago, Lila Feuer said:

Classic AF. No freelook. Autoaim on. Manual running. Low resolution / detail mode. 8-bit color. Software renderer. Crispy Doom, Doom Retro and Eternity are my favorite non-GZDoom source ports.

PC Speaker sounds and no music? lol

20 minutes ago, Phobos Anomaly said:

PC Speaker sounds and no music? lol

Oh right, the music. OPL synth!

Any way really, it entirely depends on what I'm playing. If it's something more vanilla, then no freelook, jumping, etc., and the opposite for more advanced wads and TCs.

Apart from that, sector light set to GLBOOM or SHADERS in PrBoom, and Software, Vanilla, or Doom in GZDoom. Music played back through PortMidi or Timidity++.

There's plenty of modern FPS games out there with all the bells and whistles.  Leave modern crap out of classic Doom games! 

Like a lot of others, I'll take the modern freelook + jumping setup for GZDoom maps and flatlook + lead boots for everything else.

Very rarely play with gameplay mods, Brutal once in a purple moon.  I use the awesome minor sprite fix wads a lot, and sometimes Smooth Doom for GZDoom.

I like freelook. Handy for very high/low monsters that you otherwise would not even see. Will tend to not use jump/crouch even if available

Depends on the port. If I'm using something modern like ZDoom I'm obviously not looking for vanilla gameplay. Therefore I use all the modern features. But when I'm using a more vanilla-like port, then I'd rather stick to the vanilla feel.

I use the mouse to turn but I disable freelook, I set mouse forward/backward speed to 0, no jumping or crouching. I don't play wads that require freelook or jumping.

I use software renderer and disable decals and such but use 1080p and 60fps. I normally use ZDoom for single player and Zandronum for co-op.

I play a lot of wads, both old and new, but I don't tend to enjoy pure slaughter wads.

I hardly ever use gameplay-altering mods. Exceptions being Supercharge and Random Imp Generator for wads I find too easy. 

I sometimes use Random Deaths and Decorations and PerK's Smoother Weapon Animations Enhanced.

Edited by Slipgate Tourist

Honestly it depends on what style of Doom I am playing and what map or wad I am playing, I am fine with free look and classic Doom either way. 

I like how I've got my Doom set up, it's challenging and a lot more compatible with my laptop. The most recent GZDoom, Project Brutality, IDFKA, stuff like that. What helps most is mouse sensitivity, so aiming isn't a challenge and all the other stuff is. Freelook is awesome, though, makes it feel more modern.

On 4/6/2020 at 7:54 PM, DoomerNL said:

nice :) it seems that most people like it classic most of the time which i do too!! also what is your fav source port for classic wads? mine's prboom+ and gzdoom for mods...

PrBoom+ and Crispy Doom do the classics for me, I sometimes use Chocolate too but there's only so much 320x200 my eyes can take.

Classic style player here. I used to think that freelook in Doom was very cool because it made the game feel like later FPS games but by doing that classic Doom feels less special and it also changes the gameplay too much from the original. Movement and positioning yourself right is very important to classic Doom gameplay design and freelook takes focus away from those elements. It is also more fun and relaxing to play without vertical aiming.

I play mostly with Crispy Doom but even when sometimes casually playing around with GZDoom, I prefer to play only stuff that doesn't require me to use freelook, jumping or crouching.

I use freelook, but I don't use jumping/crouching/mods unless the level specifically requires them.  But if a level specifically doesn't want me to use freelook, I'll disable it to honor the mapper's wishes.

On 4/7/2020 at 7:19 AM, DoomerNL said:

I'm just curious on how most people play these wads these days...

do yall still use no freelook no jumping no crouching? and no mods mostly?

OR do you mostly play doom with or without weapon mods but with freelook and jumping/crouching enabled?

for me i usually play most wads as vanilla as possible after i beat them i usually go back with something like brutal doom or project brutality with that i use freelook..

but if its a wad i never played before its def classic style for me..

i usually use prboom+ for that and if i want mods and freelook and stuff i usually go to gzdoom

what about you guys ? :)

pst: can my gtx 1050 ti 4gb run eternal btw? at solid 60fps low and no dips?

rest of system is ryzen 5 1500x,16gb ddr4 3200,ssd

Definitely free-look, with no auto-aim. Half-life style.

i like it vanilla. usually ill use glboom+ (the alternative to prboom+) for vanilla wads when i can since i like the widescreen with a higher fov but still like to have it be close to vanilla. though the idea of having a slightly improved doom has always been appealing to me, such as adding coloured blood, faster weapon switching, voxels etc, so i often find myself playing gzdoom as well. though i usually still have freelook and jumping disabled since they add extremely little to the game, but i do turn them on when using gameplay mods. i have been considering making a sort of modpack with a lot of these improvements but i havent gotten around to it yet

Freelook, no jumping/crouching, and if there are shoot-type switches on a map that's been designed for a mode of play that doesn't necessarily include freelook (e.g. BTSX E1M21) I'll try to avoid shooting those switches from an "illegitimate" position or angle.

I used to play with freelook, mouse+keyboard on my desktop, but since I started playing in the work laptop I use keyboard only (freelook is on but targeting with the mousepad sucks, so I mostly use it either for looking around a pretty scenario or for shooting switches).

Jumping and crouching are Default, so if the map requires/allows, it's on, else it's off.

Classic style.

Very frustrated with recent Project Brutality that doesn't let to disable vertical aim offset on shooting, mods are unplayable in classic style.

I'm a heretic.

I love playing Doom with GZDoom and free-mouse-look, plus some mods that enhance the visual/audio experience. It's just the way I have the most fun. I'm currently using a Levelinfo mod that allows you to even use ''Hitmarker'' sounds, haha been loving it so far.