Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomerNL

How do you like your Doom game nowadays? freelook? or classic style?

Smooth doom (casings, recoil and extra gib) and freelook without autoaim, everything else is vanilla. Lighting is software with the lights banding thing on, not for nostalgia (because I'm a zoomer), but rather because I think it looks cool. Occasionally I crank up the texture filtering (go on, laugh) because I think it looks alright for the most part, especially when the jaggedness of normal textures starts to hurt my eyes (plus it's reminiscent of early 2000s games' textures, which is nice).

Classic Style for vanilla/limit removing wads. 

Freelook, jumping, no autoaim and no crouch, for GZDoom and Zandronum wads, specially Zandronum, crouching is true cheating when playing coop or invasion.

On 4/7/2020 at 12:26 PM, Super Mighty G said:

Never freelook in classic Doom. Just left and right. Sprites look like cardboard cutouts when viewing them from unintended angles. 

Enable sprite billboarding.

The older I get, the more I lean into classic-style DOOM gameplay. Classic aiming, autoaim, and more-traditional rendering options in ports like GZDOOM. I've come to find that the chunkier qualities of DOOM are hugely important to its overall aesthetic and feel (at least for me).

I do use corrected sprites, though, as well as autorun. Additionally, I find it hard to play any FPS games anymore with under 120 FOV.

For me free mouse look was an evolutionary step forward in the way FPS games are played. I don't want to play any FPS without it. I usually disable jumping and crouching in Doom through, because many maps rely on the player not beoing able to jump.

Freelook on, just can't live without it, I tend to not use jumping or crouching unless the game or mod I'm playing are designed with them in mind, though sometimes I use them just for the heck of it.

Freelook; people nowadays make maps that are too pretty not to look at them from every angle. Especially when you have monumental architecture with a lot of verticality. It'd be a shame not to look at it up and down.

I always use freelook, but tend to keep jumping and crouching off except on wads made with them in mind. Sometimes I make exceptions, but if it seems like I'm not supposed to get somewhere by jumping, I'll turn it off for the rest of the .wad

(G)ZDoom on keyboard only. No freelook, jumping or crouching. No mods, UV-fast only. I play custom WADs too but avoid anything that changes enemies or weapons.

Also, unlimited Lost Souls.

for non-modded vanilla-esque WADS i keep everything default. if i'm running a mod i'll try freelook off first but if the mod has recoil or something stupid like that i turn it on. jump and crouch and permanently disabled. autorun is the only modern 'quality of life improvement' I play with.

I used to have the hots for freelook because I felt like the more control I had over my aim the more my skill would be a factor and not enemies above and below me scamming me, but after playing Chocolate and Boom for a while I started to appreciate the classic aiming mechanics. There's a kind of elegant dancing rhythm you fall into naturally when you aren't worrying about centring the crosshair exactly on things and can let the auto aim do the work as you run and gun. Since I mostly play Boom maps I rarely use freelook any more. I do miss being able to ogle nice floors and ceilings though.

Free look with no auto aim and with a crosshair. I just can't stand when I'm trying to shooting one thing and end up shooting something else. Plus I feel it adds a new layer of challenge to the gameplay to have to actually aim instead of just shooting  in a general direction.

This is interesting for me because for a good while I was just using free look, then I played Doom 64, the new port where that was not an option. Now I kind of started playing using GZdoom and being quite willing to play with mods, and then for some reason I start becoming a real purist, yet not a *real* purist. The latter camp wouldn't be playing the game on a controller on GZDoom. But outside of that, I've kind of gone towards vanilla in terms of the visual options I use and I would rather play new maps with the old gameplay (although if a mapset makes its own gameplay changes and additions that's fine) and after Doom 64 I decided to start playing without freelook. It can be slightly annoying sometimes because looking down can help in a lot of places but overall, I don't mind it. The auto aim is more natural with freelook off, that's one thing I noticed. 

I'm probably gonna anger a few vanilla purists.

• Vertical mouselook only gets disabled if it's running under a software renderer. Visplane warping makes me queasy.
  • ZDoom-based jumping, and sometimes ZDoom-based crouching are a few charges I'm guilty of, especially in official maps.
  • I always use horizontal mouselook. I've been too pampered and spoiled by more modern FPSes to even consider using anything else to aim.
  • Plenty 'O Particles, Not a Single Decal, just like Quake 1.
  • Unlike Quake 1, I don't enable rocket trails, and all 'puffs' are rendered as sprites.
  • I've ran GZDoom under a low virtual resolution before, and even simulated Doom's palette, but that didn't last too long.
  • I only really use MBF/Boom-compatible ports or Chocolate-based ports for compatibility testing, and that's if I'm not mapping in UDMF.
  • I don't even play Vanilla Doom anymore, I go to MetaDoom v0.666 or Smooth Doom on rare occasions for vanilla-based gameplay.
  • My two primary non-vanilla-based mods are Russian Overkill and Guncaster.
  • I also play Project Brutality, and I've done so on official iwad maps.

I've felt like playing classic these days

You know, Base Ganymede, Chocolate Doom, a big cup of coffee and a cat, that's what I call a perfect Dooming day.