Find results that contain...
Find results in...
[Vitz!]

Coronaphage - Another map by me

116653749_CoronaphageLogothumb.png.b9039a440fa5ccd7db7ab4c5187bbfd1.png

Screenshot_Doom_20200406_211652.png.9ab2b39fb2c5da3e91225066224b0653.png

Coronaphage download 

Coronaphage (old) download

This map started being made when things started to go south with COVID-19. At first I didn't have any intention to make any reference to the virus whatsoever, but a friend during one of my streams of map making decided to give me the idea of making a corona room. The idea sounded nice in my head and I pretty much went from there. 

I also decided to add a Bacteriophage T4 reference and tried balancing out the shapes and connecting them the best i could... And then this monster was pretty much born.

It has a similar vibe as Slime Institute because of the techbase + slime thing, but I did some stuff to differentiate it from my previous map. Acerola Doom also returns to this map, but without the boost in the Soulsphere pickup and added sprites and/or sounds for some of the modified weapons.

It's nothing too special, but I believe I've made a fun map with what I decided to use for it, so I hope you enjoy it.

_________

Info:

iWAD required: DOOM2.wad (if you're playing on ZDoom based ports you won't need to choose the iwad on startup)

Number of maps: Just one.

Size/Duration: Medium.

Monster Count: 344 in UV.

Secrets: 6

Recommended difficulty: The map was made with Ultra Violence in mind.

Ports Tested and that work (They look much better in software rendering): GZDoom, LZDoom, ZDoom, Zandronum (hardware rendering actually looks better on this one). 

Mods: No. Highly discouraged.

Features: Acerola Doom Dehacked Mod (modified), extra sprites and sounds. (Also a credits.txt file with the names of the people who made the original assets)

_________

Screenshots:

Coronaphage:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20200815_223943.png.a20b68372ac1403140a07bdd40b582e7.pngScreenshot_Doom_20200815_223716.png.113d1b2d798b6862ff2699faa20be954.png

Screenshot_Doom_20200815_224522.png.5fe41cefee81f66a6b9ae4bb25a58ad9.png

Screenshot_Doom_20200815_224642.png.e3805ad0840d65a10c8b60a39fb4a09e.png

Screenshot_Doom_20200815_224838.png.6ae1fa68ccc6e6a26eec6687edfc9de0.png

Coronaphage(old):

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20200406_210444.png.453124b96e447dd4bf33fee261f6e30d.pngScreenshot_Doom_20200406_210405.png.3d814d6a55bd29a56dd9572b5cd75620.pngScreenshot_Doom_20200406_210720.png.a4ab316c79f60ba8e8d1f00119e493e7.pngScreenshot_Doom_20200406_210613.png.d76b9b545a117c7abedd6cddec3cce5d.pngScreenshot_Doom_20200406_210518.png.41266fd3cf9b45785a55c19803583f3c.png

_________

Credits:

Spoiler
  • Music

Title Loop 1 - Shoji Meguro (from Shin Megamie Tensei III: Nocturne, sequenced by Thomash Lee and slightly modified by me)
Goin' Down the Fast Way - Lee Jackson (from Rise of the Triad, but slightly altered [key and instruments] by me)

Entralink - Shota Kageyama (from Pokémon Black, sequenced by Wobuffet3)

• Extra sounds

Daniel
AlandogunsX
Gifty
Ryan Williams
id Software
3D Realms
Tormentor667

• Extra sprites

Xim
Sgt. Shivers 
Yholl 
SoloSpaghetti 
Blox 
Lord Smash
HellcatX's Ammopile 
Chronoteeth
Captain Toenail
JoeyTD
Minigunner
id Software

• Other stuff

Green Colormap - Boom Edit Example Wad

• Mods used for the borrowed assets

Dead Marine -> https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=58521
Double Bladed Chainsaw -> https://realm667.com/index.php/en/armory-mainmenu-157-97317/doom-style-mainmenu-158-94349/683-double-bladed-chainsaw
D.U.C.K -> https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=53671
Glock 18 -> https://www.realm667.com/index.php/en/armory-mainmenu-157-97317/doom-style-mainmenu-158-94349/996-glock-18
Duke Shotgun -> https://www.realm667.com/index.php/en/armory-mainmenu-157-97317/doom-style-mainmenu-158-94349/841-duke-shotgun
Zombie Marine -> https://www.realm667.com/index.php/en/beastiary-mainmenu-136-69621/doom-style-mainmenu-105-73113/405-zombie-marine 

Please correct me if I forgot anything or anyone. I'll make sure to update both the wad and the topic

_________

100% Walkthrough:

Spoiler

_________

Changelog:

Spoiler

10/04/2020:

• Fixed some heights in dummy sectors that were causing HOMs.
  • Edited the topic to have a better recommendation of ports and configurations.

15/08/2020:

• Rebalanced some monsters and weapons.
  • Added new sprites for the shotgun, plasma rifle, and pistol. Also changed the sprite for the arachnotron's energy ball.
  • Added new sounds for some weapons and monsters.
  • The sound of the Zombieman's assault rifle is now unique to him.
  • Added some new rooms. (now the map is more closely tied to Slime Institute thanks to an outside area).
  • Rebalanced some areas of the map to suit the changes mentioned above.
  • Number of monsters changed from 274 to 344 in Ultra Violence.

_________

Bonus:

Spoiler

_________

This topic will be updated depending on feedback or me finding new stuff to fix (that I can fix obviously). I'll add a walkthrough of the map down the line as well during the course of this topic.

Edited by [Vitz!] : I'm gonna send this map to decino so I decided to change and rebalance some things.

Like usual with my maps, I've updated the topic with an walkthrough I've recorded myself. 

I'm still up for minor changes in the map if necessary, but so far I haven't received anything I could fix (outside of doomworld also) and I haven't detected anything that I could fix while I recorded my walkthrough.

1 hour ago, Austinado said:

*The post from his topic*

From the first minutes of the video I can already tell something is wrong. Those metal textures are supposed to be windows in that corridor, but for some reason Boom features tend to be a little finicky when somebody is using OpenGL-Accelerated rendering. You can look at my 100% Walkthrough of the map if you wanna check out how the map is supposed to look like (or maybe the screenshots will be enough).

As for the pools of nukage: I've done everything using environmentally speaking Boom mode, just like I did in Slime Institute. Making deep liquids in Boom is not the same thing as making them on ZDoom (where you can freely swim and etc) and you have a lot of limitations. I did this because I still wanted to maintain the vanilla feel of the map. That's exactly how it should look and play... at least in software mode/softpoly mode...

I'll update this topic. This map definitely looks way better in software mode (if you're playing on Zdoom, LZDoom and GZDoom, of course. In Zandronum you get a lot of visual glitches for no reason, so it's better to play on hardware).

As for the missing textures. It was something I did wrong with the heights of some dummy sectors. I'm already looking into it and fixing it. A patch will come soon. Here is how it should look like: 
image.png.91b45cd09ca6444a9187a88837922c48.png

As for the video itself, your volume is super low and sometimes your stream lag a bit (but I believe that's OBS's fault, not yours... This newest update came with some weird problems...).

@Austinado Both. Try to keep the volumes above the green going to the red in OBS.

Edit: Don't worry, man. This kind of stuff happens.

Edited by [Vitz!]

I like the consistent theme, the music is from ROTT so of course it isn't wrong at all. Tight on ammo for me but never ran out, good fights, there's never a true excess on the monsters even if it seems like they are too many.

Good stuff, I really like the gameplay mod too, better than the previous map of yours I played I'd say, Valle do Desespero I think it was.

On 4/11/2020 at 5:23 PM, Senor500 said:

I like the consistent theme, the music is from ROTT so of course it isn't wrong at all. Tight on ammo for me but never ran out, good fights, there's never a true excess on the monsters even if it seems like they are too many.

Good stuff, I really like the gameplay mod too, better than the previous map of yours I played I'd say, Valle do Desespero I think it was.

Good to know that, from your perspective, I'm improving. I took a little break from mapping after I've made Slime Institute, so I was afraid I was going to make something worse than before.

But now I wonder... How would Vale do Desespero be if I added this same modified version of Acerola Doom in it? I think I would need to rebalance the entire map to make it fit since weapons and monsters changed enough to ruin that map's balance... Maybe I should revisit that map (again) and see how it would work.

3 hours ago, [Vitz!] said:

But now I wonder... How would Vale do Desespero be if I added this same modified version of Acerola Doom in it? I think I would need to rebalance the entire map to make it fit since weapons and monsters changed enough to ruin that map's balance... Maybe I should revisit that map (again) and see how it would work.

I agree it would totally break the balance, but that's just what gameplay mods do, would be nice to see how it would be made focusing on the mod though.

Sorry for reviving this topic, but I really didn't want opening up another one just for the updates made to an old map.

I've updated the changelog with the new stuff I added, put a link for the older version of the map, edited some contents of the original post and added new screenshots.

I decided that this is going to be the map I'm gonna send to decino for his viewer submissions so I changed it enough for when he eventually plays this thing. I've been having a lot of trouble coming up with new stuff in general these days, so I thought it would be better to stick with what I already have, but not without trying to refresh it a bit. I hope whoever tests this newer version have fun.