Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Li'l devil

What are the dumbest map names you've heard of?

I know two:

- Security City (from someone who generated a wad in Oblige and tried to release as their own work; the name was auto-generated as well)

- Crucified Factory (from 1monster, also auto-generated).

I know some wads have very ridiculous map names, but I don't remember any, so post any that you find funny!

PS: there's a high chance someone made similar topic not long ago, as usual, but I searched and found nothing, so if there's, blame the search.

Lots of the names in BTSX are nonesense, albeit intentionally: "Postal Blowfish," "Big Chief Chinese Restaurant," "Speedtraps for the Bee Kingdom," etc.

Also the classic groan-worthy pun from Going Down's MAP19: "200 mega hurts," the level with 100 Arch-Viles and 100 Pain Elementals and nothing else.

Ancient Aliens has a map name that always makes me chuckle: "Cyberbullying: Beyond Earth"

I don't know if this is really what you're looking for, these names aren't really "dumb," just kind of humorous in a world where most map names are serious. The world needs more lighthearted humor in its Doom mapping like in those WADs. I know that's how the names in my WAD are gonna be.

17 minutes ago, Snikle said:

Lots of the names in BTSX are nonesense, albeit intentionally: "Postal Blowfish," "Big Chief Chinese Restaurant," "Speedtraps for the Bee Kingdom," etc.

Fuck yes, I love BTSX names, and any maps named by Tarnsman in general.

34 minutes ago, Egg Boy said:

Fuck yes, I love BTSX names, and any maps named by Tarnsman in general.

The names in BTSX are all names of songs by the band Guided by Voices. In fact, every name in BTSX, including BTSX, is a reference to Guided by Voices.

As influential as the service and the series of wads were/are, DWANGO is a really weird name.

Another example that isn't a map, but "Zandronum" is the stupidest name I've heard for a port (the port itself is great, making the dissonance with the name even stronger). "Skulltag" was just a cooler name ten times over. I feel like your source port should have a name that you can say out loud to someone without them going "huh? Zan do what now?"

Honestly if they just renamed it to "Zand" to keep brand recognition but simplify, that would be an enormous improvement.. The name is such a mouthful of gibberish!

"dedicated to francisco pizarro" lol

got into a bit of spite art action there

5 hours ago, Horus said:

Pounded in the Butt by the British Pound while the Japanese Yen watches on in awe as the American Dollar screams 'Yes' in the back of the parking lot.wad.wad.pk3.jpg.wad (Map 11, Team Rocket 2)

I didn't know Chuck Tingle made Doom maps...

Mystic used odd names for his maps. Minge, Lolly, Mummy Phuquers, Wet Phannies, Phannies Galore and Forcekinzola.

32in24 is dedicated to some level names no one would understand

I also don't know what's up with Odyssey of Noises

Search through the Abyssal Speedmapping Sessions map names. They're legendary in an inside-joke-kinda way, but there's also some maps i.e. called "1/4 of my dick shuts down Texas".

6 hours ago, Phobos Anomaly said:

The names in BTSX are all names of songs by the band Guided by Voices. In fact, every name in BTSX, including BTSX, is a reference to Guided by Voices.

Honestly I'd love to know what role the selection and assignment of names to maps/slots played in the creative process of BTSX, because enough of the names correspond quite neatly to their maps that I can see how name X shaped or inspired or was chosen for map Y, and thus when I can't make that connection I'm convinced that there's a connection or reason to be found and I'm just not seeing it.

My map "Conarovirus" for 64kb community project.

5 hours ago, TheOrganGrinder said:

Honestly I'd love to know what role the selection and assignment of names to maps/slots played in the creative process of BTSX, because enough of the names correspond quite neatly to their maps that I can see how name X shaped or inspired or was chosen for map Y, and thus when I can't make that connection I'm convinced that there's a connection or reason to be found and I'm just not seeing it.

The process typically starts with just finding a GBV song that sounds like a neat title and then vaguely making a map around that.

Like for example "Cool Off Kid Kilowatt" sounded neat, there is a liquid texture called Coolant, Kilowatt sounds electrical. Boom computers and coolant.

Occasionally someone will just make a map and we will find a title that vaguely fits it.

And then rarely we will just pick the dumbest name possible for the map because we can.

I have a map in my Wad called "Delicious Hot Schmoes" if u know that part in Toy Story 2. I just always thought that line was hilarious

13 minutes ago, Tarnsman said:

The process typically starts with just finding a GBV song that sounds like a neat title and then vaguely making a map around that.

Like for example "Cool Off Kid Kilowatt" sounded neat, there is a liquid texture called Coolant, Kilowatt sounds electrical. Boom computers and coolant.

Occasionally someone will just make a map and we will find a title that vaguely fits it.

And then rarely we will just pick the dumbest name possible for the map because we can.

Care explaining "Big Chief Chinese Restaurant"?

12 minutes ago, Poncho1 said:

Care explaining "Big Chief Chinese Restaurant"?

If I remember right, the map didn't have a name until it was close to finished, and that one was picked mainly to be funny. A food-related name for a map by Foodles may have also factored into it.