Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gangsta alien

I want to make a doom wad, I have a question

now I want to make a doom wad but I don't know how what I should I use, should I use Doom builder or anything else also do I have to use a game disc or do I just have to find a legal source to download Doom like a website or something or just steam work? I would love to start making doom wads,

Please and thank you

You need 2 things to make a Doom map. Other than a PC.

• IWAD - You could either use Doom 1/2's WAD taken directly from Steam/GOG/Bethesda.net. If you are broke, try Freedoom phase 1 or 2.
  • Map editor - Nowadays we usually recommend Doom Builder 2's derivatives, since the original Doom Builders are no longer officially maintained. Here are some suggestions:

*GZDoom Builder - Doom Builder 2, updated and maintained, aims specifically to GZDoom mappers but could be used for others.

*Doom Builder X - Doom Builder 2 updated, meant for low end machines and mapping beginners, but come with neat built-in tools and a Lua editor.

*Ultimate Doom Builder - The successor to GZDoom Buildet, this map editor has even more useful built-in tools that might be a little overwhelming.

Note that the above editors are for Windows only. So if you are on a Mac/Linux, you can try Slade 3 (also a WAD lump editor) or Eureka (very lightweight, has some necessary features like 3d preview, also on Windows)

Hope this helps.

13 hours ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

• IWAD - You could either use Doom 1/2's WAD taken directly from Steam/GOG/Bethesda.net. If you are broke, try Freedoom phase 1 or 2.
  • Map editor - Nowadays we usually recommend Doom Builder 2's derivatives, since the original Doom Builders are no longer officially maintained. Here are some suggestions:

*GZDoom Builder - Doom Builder 2, updated and maintained, aims specifically to GZDoom mappers but could be used for others.

*Doom Builder X - Doom Builder 2 updated, meant for low end machines and mapping beginners, but come with neat built-in tools and a Lua editor.

*Ultimate Doom Builder - The successor to GZDoom Buildet, this map editor has even more useful built-in tools that might be a little overwhelming.

Note that the above editors are for Windows only. So if you are on a Mac/Linux, you can try Slade 3 (also a WAD lump editor) or Eureka (very lightweight, has some necessary features like 3d preview, also on Windows)

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much man, Im gonna be using all of these I can't wait to start making wads

14 hours ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Hope this helps.

It end-up helping me 2. Thanks ! I used the original Doom Builder some years ago, it was actually fun lol.

Also, I suggest to download SLADE3. It is a very useful and simple lump editor and surely, sooner or later, you will need it if you plan to do anything more complex than a simple map.

For example, you can change the in-game name of your map, set the music and, with some effort, add new enemies and a lot more.

Also, I strongly suggest to download a legal copy of the IWAD that you want to use. You can do exactly the same things with both a legal or illegal copy of Doom, but if you "love to start making Doom wads" a good start is to give a payment to the people that created the thing that you seem to love so much.