Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomerNL

GZDoom OpenGL runs better than GLBoom+ why?

sorry i made quite a few topics today lol out of boredom and i have some questions that i have that never got anwsered...

i've noticed that gzdoom opengl runs way smoother for me than glboom+ and its noticable for example if you look at the wall while strafing back and forth you would see that its kind of jaggy,while with gzdoom its silky smooth, has anyone notice this as wel?

is there anything i can do to make this just like gzdoom performance wise?

I also noticed that GZDoom handles dark areas better than GLBoom+.

Same issue here. I don't know what's different about OpenGL in GZDoom but it performs better all around compared to PrBoom+ in GL mode. I have an AMD GPU.

18 minutes ago, Nevander said:

Same issue here. I don't know what's different about OpenGL in GZDoom but it performs better all around compared to PrBoom+ in GL mode. I have an AMD GPU.

It probably comes mostly from the versions they're targeting, PrBoom is using an ancient GL 2.1 render while GZDoom requires 3.3 and above. AMD drivers probably handle modern features better and have less power for legacy features.

4 minutes ago, seed said:

It probably comes mostly from the versions they're targeting, PrBoom is using an ancient GL 2.1 render while GZDoom requires 3.3 and above. AMD drivers probably handle modern features better and have less power for legacy features.

ah yeah that could probably be it

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Nevander said:

weird and people used to recommand glboom+ so much since it can run wads like nuts im not so sure now ;p maybe gzdoom IS the best..hmm

and i have nvidia gpu

3 minutes ago, DoomerNL said:

weird and people used to recommand glboom+ so much since it can run wads like nuts im not so sure now ;p maybe gzdoom IS the best..hmm

and i have nvidia gpu

Regarding nuts.wad, GLBoom+ will perform better than GZDoom there because of the sheer number of monsters. That has not much to do with the renderer and much more to with how each port handles the actor logic (here "actor" means monsters, items, prop). The actor logic in GZDoom is moddable, but at the cost of performance and thus GZDoom would be significantly slower on NUTS.wad than GLBoom+. That map is more CPU demanding than GPU demanding.

However, most maps (especially non-slaughter maps) are much more GPU demanding than CPU demanding. Here, the renderer plays a much more prominent role. GLBoom+ uses ancient OGL render while GZDoom uses OGL 3.3+. Which port performs better depends which version of OGL has better driver support for your hardware.

5 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

Regarding nuts.wad, GLBoom+ will perform better than GZDoom there because of the sheer number of monsters. That has not much to do with the renderer and much more to with how each port handles the actor logic (here "actor" means monsters, items, prop). The actor logic in GZDoom is moddable, but at the cost of performance and thus GZDoom would be significantly slower on NUTS.wad than GLBoom+. That map is more CPU demanding than GPU demanding.

However, most maps (especially non-slaughter maps) are much more GPU demanding than CPU demanding. Here, the renderer plays a much more prominent role. GLBoom+ uses ancient OGL render while GZDoom uses OGL 3.3+. Which port performs better depends which version of OGL has better driver support for your hardware.

wow nice lol thanks that explains everything

1 hour ago, DoomerNL said:

sorry i made quite a few topics today lol out of boredom

Ah, boredom. The most terrible motivator of all.

1 hour ago, DoomerNL said:

i've noticed that gzdoom opengl runs way smoother for me than glboom+ and its noticable for example if you look at the wall while strafing back and forth you would see that its kind of jaggy,while with gzdoom its silky smooth, has anyone notice this as wel?

is there anything i can do to make this just like gzdoom performance wise?

• GLBoom+ and GZDoom are two different source ports. GLBoom+, an extension of PrBoom+, adds an older GL renderer to the engine than GZDoom. GLBoom is mostly used for compatibility and demo recording purposes, whereas GZDoom is more built for modders in mind.
  • The GL renderer utilized in GLBoom+ has 3 rendering paths - 1.1, 1.4, and 2.0. Each renderpath can be associated with a graphic card capable of supporting it. So a card that can't run the GL2 renderer, likely will run at the GL1.4 renderer and so forth. This ensures that GLBoom runs on far older graphic cards than GZ does.
  • GZ, however, loves more recent cards to be fully utilized. As older OpenGL versions may introduce new compatibility issues down the line, GZ requires OpenGL 3.3. This is still however a rather old API.
  • WADs like NUTS are more dependent on the processor due to the sheer number of monsters utilized. The same goes for very complex maps. If these are run with all bells and whistles, GZDoom will provide a nicer picture.