Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

New to Classic DOOM? Read this tutorial for help!

45 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

Well, not preferable at all, but i think that there should be a tutorial for setting it properly. Why? Because its the original Doom, not source port experience.
Chocolte Doom is the modern way to playing old-style, but i want to re-experience how it was back then. My experience is from when i was a kid, but i couldn't play much pwads because i didn't have internet, so i only tried the maps that were made without custom resources. Then i stop playing for like six years, and when i come back, internet aboard, zdoom was the way to go. So i never learn how to use dehacked and DEU and i would really love to try them. Just for researching pleasure of what can and what can not be do with the original .exes.
I'm just a lame romantic thas loves to code lines to play. Back then it was like chanting magic spells to enter different realities :D
And just for the record: I made BATCH files for all the 300 wads i have for playing, with direct acceses, and icon image changed to the titlepic of the different wads (even made custom titlepics if needed), take a look ;)

286162423_Sinttulo.png.5cf78ed5cf1bd8d7f694db9f00d90ca5.png

Hello there, fellow spanish player.

35 minutes ago, Endless said:

Hello there, fellow spanish player.

Oh, shit! i was trying to hide it.

how lame of myself :(

Good info @Doomkid. I think you should mention launchers as well. Doom Launcher is great as it's quite robust and has idgames archive integration so you can download 'everything' from DL itself. ZDL is ok if you have a modest/small collection of wads.

Edit: Just saw you already covered this in a post. I still wanna big up DL as the best launcher.

1 hour ago, P41R47 said:

Well, not preferable at all, but i think that there should be a tutorial for setting it properly. Why? Because its the original Doom, not source port experience.
Chocolte Doom is the modern way to playing old-style, but i want to re-experience how it was back then. My experience is from when i was a kid, but i couldn't play much pwads because i didn't have internet, so i only tried the maps that were made without custom resources. Then i stop playing for like six years, and when i come back, internet aboard, zdoom was the way to go. So i never learn how to use dehacked and DEU and i would really love to try them. Just for researching pleasure of what can and what can not be do with the original .exes.
I'm just a lame romantic thas loves to code lines to play. Back then it was like chanting magic spells to enter different realities :D
And just for the record: I made BATCH files for all the 300 wads i have for playing, with direct acceses, and icon image changed to the titlepic of the different wads (even made custom titlepics if needed), take a look ;)

286162423_Sinttulo.png.5cf78ed5cf1bd8d7f694db9f00d90ca5.png

Well, that's understandable then, indeed, loading up games on DOS is really different.

Also DUDE your wad collection looks so good, I love it, I would do the same but I'm lazy.

I'm from Spain too, my avatar in other forums and GitHub is dondiego from RE4 (that's my real name). :)

I always used the command line in DOS back then (obviously) and made a late switch to windows when source ports were already a thing. You can run RUDE from the command line with a working startup console (or setup or use drag and drop). I started to play Doom with 1.1 which is pretty obvious. :) No emoticons?

A “setting up DosBox for optimal Dooming” tutorial is absolutely on the cards - I’ve been wanting to do it for months now actually and just need to get around to it.

I’ll familiarise myself with a few more launchers and get a section for them added as well. I always either use shortcuts or simple “drag n drop” which seems to work for damn near every port these days, but a launcher is probably the most elegant method for new players.

@Doomkid, Mega5 isn't in your personal favorites? how dare yee.. :P

hmm, I have no idea why only the 3 map demo is on the Doom world archive.

Edited by Mr.Rocket

Launchers are definitely more elegant along with have a nicely organized PWADs folder

Spoiler

3J3tQte.png

Spoiler

xsk4lr0.png

43 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

I’ll familiarise myself with a few more launchers and get a section for them added as well. I always either use shortcuts or simple “drag n drop” which seems to work for damn near every port these days, but a launcher is probably the most elegant method for new players.

I, uh, can help you with this. Here is a list with some notable launchers/frontend:

Spoiler
  • ZDL - One of the most popular, and is compatible with any source ports. Very simple to use, you can load any mods (.deh, .bex, .wad, .pk3) in whatever order you want. Files can also be drag-and-dropped externally. Because it's made with ZDoom in mind, the launcher can be resource-intensive at times and have some support for multiplayer settings (join/hosting a server). Due to its popularity, several forks have existed over the years. I recommend this build. Windows only.
  • Rocket Launcher - Another notable one, this one is the most lightweight in this list (only have an .exe file), support any type of mods (except .deh/.bex files), and have a section for speedrunning stuff (-warp to map X, record a demo, no monsters/music) and a handy section for your personal favorite launch settings. Also has native DOS(Box) support should you feel archaic. Windows/Linux.
  • Doom Launcher - Pretty archaic frontend for launching Doom stuff (and has lots of files), and is a counterpart to Quaddicted's Quake Injector. Grab the latest version here. By far the only (popular?) launcher to track your playtime and stats of ANY WADs (stats are ZDoom-specific AFAIK) and have an integrated /idgames archive should you need to download stuff without opening your browser. Not recommended for people looking for simplicity. Windows 7+ only.
  • Arachnotron Doom Launcher - A newer one, this frontend has a more colorful and user-friendly UI compare to others. Have settings specifically for GZDoom and its multiplayer component. Recommended in case you are sick of simple GUI of others and want even more user-friendliness. Download and more info hereWindows/Linux.

All launchers mentioned supports any type of files (.pk3, .pk7, .wad, .deh, .bex, support all types of IWADs, PWADs, source ports(not including DOSBox); and have load order of mods from upper to lower unless noted otherwise. 

I recommend setting up an organized mod library (like xvertigox) if you are heading to this route.

Edited by TheNoob_Gamer

@Linguica there's no reason not to pin this thread. It's useful for newcomers, well-written and it may end neverending threads with questions on basics. Doomkid always kindly replies them with tons of text.

Edited by dmslr

@Mr.Rocket D'oh, I knew I was forgetting some old classics!

@TheNoob_Gamer Thanks so much for your input. I've investigated all the launchers and added them to the OP. I basically just used stripped-down versions of your descriptions as they all proved accurate when I tried them out.

Awesome, thanks for letting me know. Removed the bit about stats being zdoom-only.

2 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Awesome, thanks for letting me know. Removed the bit about stats being zdoom-only.

Should also note that Rocket Launcher does partially support loading .deh/.bex files, but these types of files won't work properly due to being loaded under -file (instead of -deh) parameter.

Spoiler

Also thanks for shortening my huuuge wall of text, but at least give me some goddamn credit *grumble grumble* /s

Edited by TheNoob_Gamer : I was joking in the spoilers, but thanks.

You didn't mention using Freedoom as an IWAD to play mods, but I think it's for advanced users.

On 4/7/2020 at 10:59 AM, Senor500 said:

Huh? I couldn't find this on LZDoom, would help a lot! Where is it?

Make sure you have LZDoom 3.85, and go into the "display settings" menu, then into "opengl options", and then into "preferences". There should be "wall distance cull" and "sprite distance cull" options, just set them to your desired value and that's it.

In the console you can also use:

r_linedistancecull

r_spritedistancecull

for software mode, while for OpenGL it would be:

gl_linedistancecull

gl_spritedistancecull

1000 is as low as I recommend going, try moving in increments of 500 since anything lower does not provide any noticeable benefits.

Those are under display options, software/OpenGL renderer and are not difficult to find. They are enabled by default with reasonable values (4000 map units for sprites, 8000 for walls). You can go as low as 2000/4000 with the sliders, anything below that is not reasonable.

Anything else you guys think I need to add to make this worth stickying? As-is I think it answers the vast majority of not-modding-related questions a newbie might have but if I've missed something please do let me know.

Perhaps linking guides that help go through the options of the sourceports would help, so many people I know could use one for GZDoom mostly.

On 4/7/2020 at 9:52 PM, xvertigox said:

Launchers are definitely more elegant

Well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

@Noiser I agree that .bat files are simpler; I actually learned how to use them from the files in D4V! I will say that I wish I had heard of Doom Launcher sooner though, because of how it keeps track of your play-time, and it also automatically shows you the author/release date/number of maps, things that I manually added to each of my .bat files' names. It's too late for me to go back now; I would have to reorganize everything for very little benefit.

@P41R47 How do you add icons to your .bat files?

lotso'wads.jpg
edit: My files are organized like this:
(Source port)(WAD name)(Release year)(Author)(Number of maps)
I add "D1" if the WAD is Doom1 instead of Doom2, and I add -dw (for DoomWorld) at the end of the WAD if it was either: a top 100 WAD,  a Cacoward winner or runner-up, a top 25 missed WAD, or contains one of the top 100 memorable levels

Edited by Hard2Poop

1 minute ago, Hard2Poop said:

@P41R47 How do you add icons to your .bat files? 

lotso'wads.jpg

Unfortunately, there is no way to add new icons to .bat files (none that i know of). I had my doomretro data folder with some subfolder inside with dehacked, wads, and the icons pictures i created and all the .bat files, then what i did to have those neat icons for playing automatically that specific wad was make a direct acces of the .bat files and change the icon to the direct access. For that reason, every direct acces is in the folder where my doomretro data folder is allocated.

What you could do is create a a new folder called sourceports, put all that files in your picture inside it, make a direct acces of all the bats, and put them inside the doom folder, side by side with the sourceports folder. Then you will be able to change every .bat file direct acces icon.

Its a hassle, i know, but the result is nice.
Hope this helps you.  

>direct access
I see - when using Windows in English it's called "short-cut."  I think I can use Slade to get the title image from the WAD file and use that as the icon

Thanks, have a megasphere

edit: Dang, when I export it, it comes out black and white. I think I have to use the TITLEPIC from doomwiki.org

TITLEPIC.png

Edited by Hard2Poop

18 minutes ago, Hard2Poop said:

>direct access
I see - when using Windows in English it's called "short-cut."  I think I can use Slade to get the title image from the WAD file and use that as the icon

Thanks, have a megasphere

edit: Dang, when I export it, it comes out black and white. I think I have to use the TITLEPIC from doomwiki.org

TITLEPIC.png

Oh, yes, sorry, i have my PC set to spanish and i don't remebered that in english it is called short-cut. Sorry!
For extracting the TITLEPIC in the right color, you need to convert it to .PNG (palleted).
And image is better than thousand words, here:

Sin títuloasd.png

OK I got it! Now how do I add the picture to the short-cut?

Edit: Nevermind, I got it. I wanted to do it without uploading my picture online but I don't see any way around that

It's gonna take forever to do all of these... this is way too much autism, even for me.

autismo.jpg

Edited by Hard2Poop

hahahaha @Hard2Poop that was pretty hilarious. I don't consider myself an autism, but , Yes! It indeed takes forever; i made it during like six months, while i was doing some investigations about obscure or forgotten megawads, so i didn't even notice how much time i had spent doing all that.

I see. I will create the icon only for whichever WAD I am playing; that way, I don't spend all day creating icons.

Right now, I am playing this WAD:

It is a LOT of fun! It's already one of my favorite map sets along with Eviternity and Hellground and Doom1

autismo02.jpg

Edited by Hard2Poop

Here is a picture of Doom Launcher that an anon posted to /vr/. I would have used this if I knew about it before I made all my command lines. I originally learned to use command lines because Doom Mod Loader did not work with Crispy Doom so I assumed none of them did (this one does)

Doom Launcher.png