Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

New to Classic DOOM? Read this tutorial for help!

1 hour ago, Domestic-Weirdo said:

Hey, I'm not exactly new to Classic Doom as I have been playing the Unity Ports on consoles since Day 1 but, recently, I have been attempting to shift somewhat towards playing Doom on PC.

I have installed both Chocolate Doom and Crispy Doom and I can get the latter running WAD files fine, however, I'm a bit lost at trying to get any WAD besides Doom II running on Chocolate. I read that I would need to call upon different WADs through command lines. Am I supposed to go to Command Prompt to do this or do I create a configuration for them in the Chocolate Doom set-up application?

Personally I would recommend using ZDL or some other launcher. Even Doom Explorer, which is geared more towards multiplayer, is good for setting up singleplayer configurations too.

Using the command line is super easy IMHO but you don't need to do that. Every command line argument can be used in a shortcut to a program. So if you want to play Crispy Doom with another wad all you need to do is create a new shortcut to Crispy Doom wherever you like, with whatever name you like, then right-click it and go to properties. In the field that says target, where there's the path to your Crispy Doom, add "-file <path_to_wad>" at the end, where <path_to_wad> is, of course, the path to the wad you want to play, so for Doom II the Way id Did it might look something like "c:/path/to/crispy-doom.exe -file d2twid.wad" if d2twid.wad is in the same place as the Doom II IWAD, otherwise you have to specify a more specific path, in my case it would be "d2twid/d2twid.wad" because it's in a folder named d2twid inside the folder that has the IWADs in its root; I do this to keep every wad alongside its text file.

If you want to instead change the IWAD to something else, use "-iwad <path_to_iwad>", so if I wanted to play The Ultimate Doom instead of Doom II, the target field of the shortcut would look something like "c:/path/to/crispy-doom.exe -iwad doomu.wad" (I name my Ultimte Doom IWAD that way, yours will probably be just doom.wad), and if I wanted to add Doom the Way id Did on top of that: "c:/path/to/crispy-doom.exe -iwad doomu.wad -file dtwid.wad".

Spoiler

If you really want to know how to do this via command line, what you need to do is navigate to the Crispy Doom folder, then right-click while holding shift, and click "Open command window here", there you run Crispy Doom with any arguments you'd like by typing the executable's name followed by said parameters. So "crispy-doom -iwad tnt.wad" to run it with the TNT: Evilution IWAD, or "crispy-doom -iwad doomu.wad -file dtwid.wad" for The Ultimate Doom with Doom the Way id Did, and so on. For all the available arguments, which can also be used on shortcuts as described above, you can check the Chocolate Doom wiki, or just the Doom wiki in general, which lists arguments available in most source ports.

I hope this is clear enough. I'm not the best at explaining things.

Edited by QuotePilgrim : adding more detailed info

On 6/2/2021 at 5:56 PM, QuotePilgrim said:

Personally I would recommend using ZDL or some other launcher. Even Doom Explorer, which is geared more towards multiplayer, is good for setting up singleplayer configurations too.

Using the command line is super easy IMHO but you don't need to do that. Every command line argument can be used in a shortcut to a program. So if you want to play Crispy Doom with another wad all you need to do is create a new shortcut to Crispy Doom wherever you like, with whatever name you like, then right-click it and go to properties. In the field that says target, where there's the path to your Crispy Doom, add "-file <path_to_wad>" at the end, where <path_to_wad> is, of course, the path to the wad you want to play, so for Doom II the Way id Did it might look something like "c:/path/to/crispy-doom.exe -file d2twid.wad" if d2twid.wad is in the same place as the Doom II IWAD, otherwise you have to specify a more specific path, in my case it would be "d2twid/d2twid.wad" because it's in a folder named d2twid inside the folder that has the IWADs in its root; I do this to keep every wad alongside its text file.

If you want to instead change the IWAD to something else, use "-iwad <path_to_iwad>", so if I wanted to play The Ultimate Doom instead of Doom II, the target field of the shortcut would look something like "c:/path/to/crispy-doom.exe -iwad doomu.wad" (I name my Ultimte Doom IWAD that way, yours will probably be just doom.wad), and if I wanted to add Doom the Way id Did on top of that: "c:/path/to/crispy-doom.exe -iwad doomu.wad -file dtwid.wad".

Reveal hidden contents

If you really want to know how to do this via command line, what you need to do is navigate to the Crispy Doom folder, then right-click while holding shift, and click "Open command window here", there you run Crispy Doom with any arguments you'd like by typing the executable's name followed by said parameters. So "crispy-doom -iwad tnt.wad" to run it with the TNT: Evilution IWAD, or "crispy-doom -iwad doomu.wad -file dtwid.wad" for The Ultimate Doom with Doom the Way id Did, and so on. For all the available arguments, which can also be used on shortcuts as described above, you can check the Chocolate Doom wiki, or just the Doom wiki in general, which lists arguments available in most source ports.

I hope this is clear enough. I'm not the best at explaining things.

Thanks for the information; all of this was pretty helpful. I spent most of yesterday and part of today working off what you told me. With both ZDL and Powershell (Command Window), I was able to get WADs with multiple DEHACKED patches running in Crispy Doom and I got different IWADS like tnt.wad running on Chocolate Doom. The only problem I have now is getting any DEHACKED WADs running on Chocolate Doom as every attempt ends with it crashing. Would I have to configure a path in the DEH files to get them working?

First thought: Are you using the -file parameter to run .deh files alongside the -iwad parameter, or are you using the -deh parameter? You may have to enter -nodeh and then -deh C:\path\to\file.deh to ensure that no dehacked lump in the desired .wad file interferes with the data in the desired .deh file.

It would be good to know which .deh files and which .wad files you're trying to use, and which specific commands you're giving the computer, with personal information like your username removed.

Edited by Mr. Alexander : Ambiguous, confusing brackets around the example path from C:.

15 hours ago, Mr. Alexander said:

First thought: Are you using the -file parameter to run .deh files alongside the -iwad parameter, or are you using the -deh parameter? You may have to enter -nodeh and then -deh C:\path\to\file.deh to ensure that no dehacked lump in the desired .wad file interferes with the data in the desired .deh file.

It would be good to know which .deh files and which .wad files you're trying to use, and which specific commands you're giving the computer, with personal information like your username removed.

I've taken these snapshots to illustrate the kind of problems I been having. The main WAD file I'm trying to get running on Chocolate Doom is TNT: Revilution but I end up with a "missing patch" error whenever I try to run Doom II as the IWAD and a "bad frames characters" error with TNT: Evilution as the IWAD. I attempted to use the -nodeh command but it doesn't appear to work, although, I may have messed up its placement in the command line.

Spoiler

By the way, I find your Tex Avery profile very amusing.

doom-commands+.png

doom-commands2+.png

doom-error.PNG

doom-error2.PNG

@Doomkid Your initial post should also include Heretic, Hexen, and Strife: Veteran Edition GOG links as well.  All of those games use the Doom engine, so they're worth mentioning there.

I'm still trying new ports to see all the talent people have.  Right now I'm fiddling with the sounds.

Do you know if dosbox uses any kind of sound interpolation??  Like linear or cubic.  This can be useful for purist running zdoom/gzdoom etc.

"Ask any" question.

hey DoomKid this is a really great thread and I've used it when trying to get my friends into Doom

I was wondering if you'd know any good guides on how to make Doom mods/wads

I've wanted to make them for awhile now but don't know where to start

On 12/4/2021 at 6:29 PM, NoahRules said:

hey DoomKid this is a really great thread and I've used it when trying to get my friends into Doom

Check out youtube, many great tutorials over there. @Doomkid has youtube account, that could be a great starting point. If you're looking for inspiration try out  a bunch of wads.

On 12/5/2021 at 4:29 AM, NoahRules said:

Sorry I never saw this, here are some links that should be really helpful for you.

The first one is a playlist of all my videos (so far) on modding Doom, and the second is a very easy "new to Doom Builder" video by GamingGargoyle.

Another YT user to look into for Doom mapping is ChubzDoomer. Hopefully these will help you out to start though!

On 1/10/2022 at 9:08 PM, Doomkid said:

The first one is a playlist of all my videos (so far) on modding Doom, and the second is a very easy "new to Doom Builder" video by GamingGargoyle.

Hey thanks for this Doom modding seems pretty hard to get into so I'm sure these will help

Thanks for this, finding decent doom tutorials can be hard so I'm sure this will come in handy

Edited by NoahRules

Hi Doomers!

I'm very old, I'm 46 :-)

Last time I played Doom 2 20 years ago.

I want to play doom 1, 2 and some mods

Can you recomend me good launchers for Windows 10

35 minutes ago, Yalmar said:

GZDooM, PRBoom+, Eternity, and Zandronum for multiplayer fun 

EDIT: I’m dumb and completely misread the question, sorry

Ive used Doom Launcher and ZDL before and they’ve worked for me well

Edited by nue : I really need to read the question being asked

49 minutes ago, Yalmar said:

Hi Doomers!

I'm very old, I'm 46 :-)

Last time I played Doom 2 20 years ago.

I want to play doom 1, 2 and some mods

https://www.doomworld.com/cacowards/

https://www.doomworld.com/10years/bestwads/

https://www.doomworld.com/25years/top-100-memorable-maps/

https://www.doomworld.com/25years/top-25-missed-cacowards/

Edited by Master O

On mardi 7 avril 2020 at 12:59 PM, Doomkid said:

NOTE: Some source ports require the IWADs (doom.wad, doom2.wad, etc) to be placed inside the port's directory, however most can make use of the DOOMWADDIR environment variable.

I'd add a mention here that most source ports can automatically detect the IWADs when they are installed from GOG or Steam, so people do not need to bother with this if they installed the game from one of these platforms. I know it's the case for GZDoom, Chocolate, Woof, Eternity... I think PrBoom+/DSDA-Doom do not have that, though.

On mardi 7 avril 2020 at 12:59 PM, Doomkid said:

- Classic Doom Unity Port - This comes free with Doom if you buy it through Steam.

Now it also comes free with Doom if you buy it from GOG!

Hi Doomkid, My name is Braeden, and I'm a fairly new member of the Classic Doom Community, actually, the reason I got into Doom was because of SnapMap in Doom 2016, and I watched a YouTuber called Broleg playing Classic Doom and I thought, Hey I want to play that and so I got The Ultimate Doom and FreeDoom since I didn't have Doom 2 at that time, but I've got it and I got GZDoom and Doom Builder around that same time as well, I also watch and love your content, Keep going, man!

Thanks, I'm pretty new to DOOM and learning about the launchers helped me a lot and made playing 10000x easier.

Just updated the OP a bit. The old GOG and Steam links no longer work - I thought they'd redirect - but now everything should be just fine. For some reason every storefront is bizarrely agreeing to call 1995's "The Ultimate Doom" as "Doom 1993" instead, even though that's not really accurate and just serves to confuse people. Hopefully my clarifications in the opening post should be adequate..

(Why do so many Doom-based things insist on being wrong and giving me a headache? Fuckin hell man!)

On 8/31/2022 at 10:27 AM, good old niko! said:

Any recommended tutorial for learning how to make normal levels for doom? Particularly on gz doom?

Normal levels? For that you just need Ultimate Doom Builder, that's all. There's some helpful YT tutorials on the basics of mapping. I have a section on doomshack.org that has loads of tutorials for new mappers, too. David Newton's are the best all around imo. Check them out! (Also, I somehow just saw this post.)

On 10/7/2022 at 7:40 AM, Bomberboi98 said:

Hi Doomkid, My name is Braeden, and I'm a fairly new member of the Classic Doom Community, actually, the reason I got into Doom was because of SnapMap in Doom 2016, and I watched a YouTuber called Broleg playing Classic Doom and I thought, Hey I want to play that and so I got The Ultimate Doom and FreeDoom since I didn't have Doom 2 at that time, but I've got it and I got GZDoom and Doom Builder around that same time as well, I also watch and love your content, Keep going, man!

Ah, good ol' br0leg. He's a champ! Thanks a lot for the kind words, hope you stick around the community a good long while.

21 minutes ago, 7x47 said:

Thanks, I'm pretty new to DOOM and learning about the launchers helped me a lot and made playing 10000x easier.

I'm glad it helped!

18 hours ago, Doomkid said:

For some reason every storefront is bizarrely agreeing to call 1995's "The Ultimate Doom" as "Doom 1993" instead, even though that's not really accurate and just serves to confuse people.

That was a change by ZeniBeth back in August to consolidate all the add-ons and expansions for various id titles, like merging Doom 2, the Master Levels and Final Doom into one installer. So the priority there would have been to slap everything up until 1995 with the "Doom 1993" banner. Historical accuracy doesn't matter in a timeline where saying "Doom 4 (2016)" would hurt you in the bottom line/algorithm.

On 10/12/2022 at 2:17 AM, Doomkid said:

Just updated the OP a bit. The old GOG and Steam links no longer work - I thought they'd redirect - but now everything should be just fine. For some reason every storefront is bizarrely agreeing to call 1995's "The Ultimate Doom" as "Doom 1993" instead, even though that's not really accurate and just serves to confuse people. Hopefully my clarifications in the opening post should be adequate..

(Why do so many Doom-based things insist on being wrong and giving me a headache? Fuckin hell man!)

Normal levels? For that you just need Ultimate Doom Builder, that's all. There's some helpful YT tutorials on the basics of mapping. I have a section on doomshack.org that has loads of tutorials for new mappers, too. David Newton's are the best all around imo. Check them out! (Also, I somehow just saw this post.)

Ah, good ol' br0leg. He's a champ! Thanks a lot for the kind words, hope you stick around the community a good long while.

I'm glad it helped!

Thank you, chief. For all the kind words.

On 12/7/2022 at 7:14 AM, Metal Barbie said:

Oh, awesome I'm into DOOM now and this is really helpful - thank you 💚

Good thing that's girls like you are taking interest in the doom community

I may had made this account a few days ago but I'm part of this community since 2009