Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MadGuy

List of things removed in DOOM 3 (2019)

6 hours ago, Senor500 said:

I never understood, what is it that people don't like about it?

Yeah really, people hate KDIZD? News to me as well.

I'll admit I never gave KDiZD it's time of day, but from what I have seen its detailing is downright hideous at times and the pacing is all wrong, with some levels that go on for far too long.

6 hours ago, Lila Feuer said:

I'll admit I never gave KDiZD it's time of day, but from what I have seen its detailing is downright hideous at times and the pacing is all wrong, with some levels that go on for far too long.

I spent too much time getting lost in KDiZD that I just gave up on it.

KDiZD is the pinnacle of "visuals over gameplay" and an example of what to avoid when detailing a level.

On 4/8/2020 at 12:54 PM, seed said:

Yeah really, people hate KDIZD? News to me as well.

I really liked KDiZD, but I also enjoy elaborate switch hunts, backtracking and exploring non-linear levels.

- motion blur effect removed.

The size of the game has also increased. BFG Edition was 7 GB, 2019 Edition became 11 Gb (system requirements on PC). This is despite the fact that they cut out multiplayer and Doom 1&2. 

37 minutes ago, Pankrat said:

The size of the game has also increased. BFG Edition was 7 GB, 2019 Edition became 11 Gb (system requirements on PC). This is despite the fact that they cut out multiplayer and Doom 1&2. 

You know what's aggravating? When classic Doom explodes towards 300MB or so, and I have only a bit of space left on my phone/tablet.

What the hell is wrong with people, not everyone has that much space left on disk or bandwidth or data plan. Doom 3 was never that big in size.

2 minutes ago, printz said:

You know what's aggravating? When classic Doom explodes towards 300MB or so, and I have only a bit of space left on my phone/tablet.

That's mostly due to lossless music formats used for playback in the recent ports though. If it was still MIDI it would've been considerably smaller.

3 minutes ago, printz said:

not everyone has that much space left on disk or bandwidth or data plan.

I dunno man, not having 11GB left in 2020 is kinda odd tbh. And believe me, I hate how much space some games and programs take up these days, but that 70GB+, not 10 or so...

3 minutes ago, seed said:

I dunno man, not having 11GB left in 2020 is kinda odd tbh.

Say that when you have a 256 GB SSD from a not-so-new laptop well capable of playing the game. Especially when that SSD is split into multiple operating systems. Also the shit adds up, because I have many other stuff, caches, applications which are HUGE. Let alone the operating system requiring lots of free space left to be able to update.

Let's assume for a moment that this is the only Doom 3 we have. Times change, operating systems evolve, we need to be happy with what we get. Here are the important questions:

1. Is it open source? Can one make source ports off it?
  2. Can it be modded? Can one create levels for it?

24 minutes ago, printz said:

Let's assume for a moment that this is the only Doom 3 we have. Times change, operating systems evolve, we need to be happy with what we get. Here are the important questions:

1. Is it open source? Can one make source ports off it?
  2. Can it be modded? Can one create levels for it?

Well it's for BFG but since the file structure and formats are the same here:

Edited by MadGuy

8 minutes ago, printz said:

Say that when you have a 256 GB SSD from a not-so-new laptop well capable of playing the game. Especially when that SSD is split into multiple operating systems. Also the shit adds up, because I have many other stuff, caches, applications which are HUGE. Let alone the operating system requiring lots of free space left to be able to update.

Fair point, can't deny that. But this is probably why one should also go for a bigger SSD, or keep the SSD for the OS and other important things, and the rest put on a HDD for storage. In this day and age, having less than 1TB of storage, especially if you actually use it to the fullest, is just no longer enough. I'd struggle horribly with 256GB of storage too. Too bad large SSDs are still pretty expensive...

I'm really happy that I have a Steam copy of Doom 3 as well as multiple physical copies. The original Doom 3 was amazing and BFG Edition only serves to undermine the key design elements of the game, yielding something that desperately tries to be more like the original Doom but is ultimately a heavily diluted version of Doom 3.

Has anybody got Doom 3 (2019)? Can you see the file system structure in the game directory? 

The original game has a file structure based on pak files (zip archive). BFG Edition has different file structure, all game data is placed in id Tech 5 resources. I wonder why the size of the game has grown so much.

Here is the file structure of the BFG Edition in folder "base". 

Clipboard02.jpg

17 minutes ago, Pankrat said:

Has anybody got Doom 3 (2019)? Can you see the file system structure in the game directory? 

The original game has a file structure based on pak files (zip archive). BFG Edition has different file structure, all game data is placed in id Tech 5 resources. I wonder why the size of the game has grown so much.

Here is the file structure of the BFG Edition in folder "base". 

Clipboard02.jpg

And here is for 2019 

Καταγραφή.PNG

P.S.: I think I have added the renderprogs folder

Edited by MadGuy

This is strange, I thought they improved the sound. What size of folders: maps, sound, video?

2 minutes ago, Pankrat said:

This is strange, I thought they improved the sound. What size of folders: maps, sound, video?

maps-5.68 GB

sounds-181 MB

video-99,3 MB

5 hours ago, seed said:

I dunno man, not having 11GB left in 2020 is kinda odd tbh. And believe me, I hate how much space some games and programs take up these days, but that 70GB+, not 10 or so...

From just installing 90s-2000s games, my computer has only 99 Gb from it's initial 500 left, I can't imagine how much I woild be able to hold if I installed moder games. (But to be fair much of it is occupied by other things too)

Also, try to tell Switch owners that 11 GB is nothing...

34 minutes ago, MadGuy said:

maps-5.68 GB

sounds-181 MB

video-99,3 MB

So the size of the game has not increased, as it is written in the system requirements. And should be 7 GB, like BFG Edition.

On 4/7/2020 at 4:45 AM, MadGuy said:

As you know DOOM 3 BFG Edition had some elements from the Original DOOM 3 (2004) removed or altered (mainly in ROE in which they removed a whole map setpiece).

Now with the new Re-Release of DOOM 3 Which is available on XBOX One, PS4, Nintendo Switch and PC (from Bethesda.net) they manage to remove even more things.

Those things (so far) are:

- Multiplayer, even if you use source ports to access the option none of the maps are loading

- Classic DOOM games, I have done a lazy check to the binary of the game and I can still find traces of the Classic DOOM engine in it.

- Console, yep no console, recent discovery when I was on the Bethesda forums, the launch argument for the console is not even working

- PC menu bar, not actually removed, but it's inaccessible. The main reason at least for that is due to how poorly SWF UI handles dynamic switching between PC and Controller UI (wait a moment that is not part of the vanilla, that's part of my own port).

This is a purely informative topic for those wondering what changes BFG Edition and 2019 versions are having between them.

Have they made any good changes???like the lighting.Thats the only reason I don’t like the BFG it’s too bright.The shoulder lamp has no purpose if the game is too bright 

22 hours ago, Pankrat said:

Wtff are those extra 4GB for???That makes zero sense to me what the hell did they add that requires 4GB more

1 hour ago, DoomedSpartan said:

Wtff are those extra 4GB for???That makes zero sense to me what the hell did they add that requires 4GB more

Perhaps this is a mistake in the system requirements. Since the size of the main files has not changed since BFG Edition. 

Not to mention the hidden system requirements for the monitor in both BFG and 2019.

Your monitor must support the following for fullscreen:

- 32bpp

- 60 or 120 Hz refresh rate 

- minimum 720 height in resolution

I think their purpose is to make Doom 3 unplayable, so people who love this video-game and noobs in Doom to find it completely unappealing and forget about it. 

They $hit on Carmack's legacy. Poor guy. 

On vendredi 10 avril 2020 at 10:45 AM, Pankrat said:

For reference, original release Doom 3 + ROE is 2.2 GB. I know it doesn't have Lost Mission or the bonus Classic Doom, but still.

56 minutes ago, Gez said:

For reference, original release Doom 3 + ROE is 2.2 GB. I know it doesn't have Lost Mission or the bonus Classic Doom, but still.

But still, Lost Mission & classics are not that big. The possible reason for that is *probably* due to texture resizing and large generated files (for reference DOOM BFA's Classic Edition _common.resources is 5 MB while it's source folder (_common_src) is ~ 400KB).

On 4/21/2020 at 4:11 AM, MadGuy said:

But still, Lost Mission & classics are not that big. The possible reason for that is *probably* due to texture resizing and large generated files (for reference DOOM BFA's Classic Edition _common.resources is 5 MB while it's source folder (_common_src) is ~ 400KB).

Textures?They updated textures but not the lighting or shadows that sucks.My only problem with the BFG was that it was too bright which made the shoulderlamp useless 

People who don't like Doom 3 are gay. Ban me if I'm wrong.

If you don't like it stop complaining about it and move on to the classic/nudooms.

The amount of threads like this one is getting ridiculous. 

"iS dOoM 3 wOrTh PlAyInG?" Eek!

2 hours ago, PaulRazvan95 said:

People who don't like Doom 3 are gay.

2 hours ago, PaulRazvan95 said:

ridiculous.

And I was just standing here, thinking that gay jokes have gone out of fashion in 2020...