Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
WowozuelaSpammer

What's the deal with Archviles?

So, some days ago i was watching a Doom Mapping Contest video, and in some parts, Joel says that he dislikes Archviles, screams at them, etc.

I didn't play Doom 2 (I just played The Ultimate Doom some months ago) so i don't know that much of Archviles except they revive enemies, what could be a reason to be so angry at them?

Arch-Viles have:

• A lot of health - highest of non-boss enemies.
  • Very small pain chance - they rarely get pain even with SSG.
  • They have an unavoidable explosive hitscan attack - 90 health removed! You better have some armor.
  • They are very fast - even if you go to cover, they will reach you quickly.
  • They revive enemies.
  • Enemies never fight them except accidentally, so you cannot rely on infighting.

It's a very good enemy. It is very gimmicky and you always have to change your strategy when Archvile is in sight. It might seem bad, but Doom 2 would be boring without an overpowered enemy.

1 minute ago, Kut said:

Arch-Viles have:

• A lot of health - highest of non-boss enemies.
  • Very small pain chance - they rarely get pain even with SSG.
  • They have an unavoidable explosive hitscan attack - 90 health removed! You better have some armor.
  • They are very fast - even if you go to cover, they will reach you quickly.
  • They revive enemies.
  • Enemies never fight them except accidentally, so you cannot rely on infighting.

Oh, they sound like scum and an ammo waste

And a very small hitbox as well. I used to hate them, but now I am accustomed to their pattern. Unless some scummy mapper puts them in a huge open space, or in a corridor behind some Barons.

1 hour ago, TheStupidestBeing said:

So, some days ago i was watching a Doom Mapping Contest video, and in some parts, Joel says that he dislikes Archviles, screams at them, etc.

I didn't play Doom 2 (I just played The Ultimate Doom some months ago) so i don't know that much of Archviles except they revive enemies, what could be a reason to be so angry at them?

If are stuck with an arch-vile on a part of the map were you can't hide, well... he'll send you flying

@Kut

Technically the Baron is the strongest non-boss monster at 1000, the Archvile however is stronger than any other enemy at 700.

The pain chance is indeed very low at only 10 compared to a Cyberdemon's 20, Spiderdemon's 40, and Hell Noble's 50, and is a hard factor to take into account on whether or not you will successfully interrupt them with the first SSG blast followed by a second, so I'll usually second guess myself by playing it safe and seeking cover when they are in the midst of their attack. The rocket launcher I feel is the best and fastest way to dispose of an Archvile outside of just obliterating it with a BFG.

There's a trick to making their attack only do 20 damage (cancelling out the blast radius damage) by standing near a raised but still low sector (e.g a table or low wall), but I always forget how to exploit it and it may not always be available to you.

Their speed is definitely a factor in making you waste ammo, they are very twitchy, I have the same issue with Revenants who while much weaker at 300 HP are deceivingly dangerous since they can roll an 80 damage missile if you're very unlucky.

Their ability to revive can really change the battlefield in a moment's notice and is probably their greatest strength if they have access to a lot of corpses, but the best thing to do is to not panic and simply focus on the Vile, they are the highest priority target in most situations.

An "Arcvile"? You mean that thing that puts its hands in an arc and is vile?

Their main method of attack is undodgeable in the open, you want cover, but they are generally fast, low pain chance, and high health. Just like what others said.

• Fastest monster in the game
  • Small hitbox
  • Revives monsters, making it harder to hit them
  • Tanky as fuck
  • Low painchance
  • Their attack locks on, doing guaranteed damage if you stay in their line of sight, and the fire effect makes it hard to see, and the attack is one of the most damaging in the game, and it can launch you into dangerous places

AVs are hated for good reason. They have no glaring weaknesses, and they're dangerous in almost all situations, unlike the majority of non-boss enemies. You can place them just about anywhere, and they have a decent chance of giving you trouble. 

1 hour ago, TheStupidestBeing said:

Joel says that he dislikes Archviles, screams at them, etc.

I'm fairly certain that by this point, a lot of Joel's "hatred" towards them and his screaming are sort of a meme, because he knows that a dramatic reaction is funny. Could be wrong, but I just get that sense.

Archviles are pretty much designed to be used like having one or two max at a time and either as an ambush enemy, perhaps when you just made a lot of fresh corpses or for them to resurrect, or to add that bit more danger to a tough enemy wave. And there's some gimmicky ways you can use them like Plutonia and TNT REvilution did at certain points. 

700 health to me isn't a lot, that 300 less they have than the barons is pretty meaningful when you do what you should be doing, aka throwing EVERYTHING at it. I think that's why on the whole I don't mind them too much, I do not let them become a problem.

I do think large groups of Pain Elementals and CHaingunner armies in open spaces are much worse and a lot cheaper. 

23 minutes ago, hybridial said:

I do think large groups of Pain Elementals and CHaingunner armies in open spaces are much worse and a lot cheaper. 

Why chaingunners? They look just like a Former Sergeant but with an automatic weapon

1 minute ago, TheStupidestBeing said:

Why chaingunners? They look just like a Former Sergeant but with an automatic weapon

Imagine being hitscanned by 20 of them with no cover nearby. That's what Doom map designers do when they really hate humanity. :P 

Chaingun Guy's DPS is insane, just one of them when not taken care of quickly can shred a good amount of health, especially unarmored.

>Tall

>Tough

>Helpful to his friends

>Puts his hands in the air like he just doesn't care

The Archvile is clearly the most Alpha enemy in Doom.