Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
WowozuelaSpammer

What's the deal with Archviles?

Its fast, thing is... it revives enemies. enemies like chaingunners who can stun you and damage you easily and itll be hard for you to dodge them, they're hitscan. and archvile is too... archviles can be dodged if you take covers with walls but if theyre used in corridors (which they are) itll be hard for you to find a wall to protect you from being flown all the way thru hell to heaven back to earth and beneath. so your only option is to backtrack but then when you do that he'll run to you or he'll revive enemies which makes him a pain in the rear. there. he has too much health that even spamming the plasma gun or the rocket launchers is tedious to do against him.

On 4/11/2020 at 3:22 PM, cralo100 said:

One reason to not like them is the fact that they have a hitscan attack that at first deals a small damage, and following that with an explosive damage that can bump you a little.

Archviles' attacks deal no damage until they finish their casting animation. This is why you can avoid the attack entirely by moving behind an obstruction just as the attack finishes. Archviles by themselves with any cover are rather trivial to deal with. Mappers using the map geometry to force the player to take unavoidable damage from the Archvile is what irritates people. This is not entirely the fault of the enemy itself.

On 4/7/2020 at 9:04 AM, LuciferSam86 said:

With Archviles I have a hate/love relation  :)

But there is a DECORATEd enemy which is way worse: the Diabolist.

What mod was it from?

I'm working on a DOOM monster pack of my own that combines multiple other monster packs (with permission and giving credits) and would like to see it.

Archviles in small numbers are challenging but doable if the mapmaker has seen fit to provide the player with enough resources. But if the map has barely any ammo while throwing out hordes of Archviles along with lots of other demons for them to resurrect, that's the point at which I either stop playing the map, or come back with the Russian Overkill arsenal and the IDFA cheat.

I hate the bald, skinny pyromaniac. He's a dickhead. But I love to hate him because he's a challenge and keeps me on my toes whenever he shows up.

I hate them. Everyone hates them. Some people pretend to like them. Nobody loves them. They can suck their own peen. Its their hitscan attack ok? They are 1/3 of the recipe for the plutonia experiment levels.

Coolest Demon in Hell. A big addition to DooM series. Though, any build engine and doom engine games never copied archvile idea and implant it to their own game as far as I know. Same thing goes for "Gremlins" from Quake 1: mission pack 1. The last time someone implanted gremlins method as Pentagon's boss from COD:Black Ops "Yuri Zavoyski". He also steals player's current weapon on his/her hand. Although, Gremlins can steal it and then attack on player with the weapon they stole from him/her. S'Cool

I love Arch Viles because they are a pain in the butt and represent a great challenge. I have used them plentiful in my upcoming megawad Zone 400, especially in the later maps particularly as an ambush monster.

archviles are the best enemy in doom

they not only are extremely scary to face with 2 or more but they also can revive other enemies making your job harder

you also need to thing about your surroundings when you fight them

but honestely you need to play doom 2

archviles are a great enemy, and one of the most unique ones as well

and, if you disagree with that, then, well...you're wrong xd

Archviles are like the Marauders in Eternal. You ought to know and implement effective game mechanics to defeat them with specific strategies. Also you can't ignore them.

Can be easily abused if mappers spam or use them in shitty rooms.

They're simultaneously my favorite and most hated enemy in across all Doom games. Really dig the creature design too, reminds me of Pumpkinhead.

6 hours ago, Teo Slayer said:

Archviles suck

please have a better response to reopen a thread. comments like these could lead to warnings or suspensions. 

55 minutes ago, Chip said:

please have a better response to reopen a thread. comments like these could lead to warnings or suspensions. 

Couldn't resurrecting a dead thread about Archviles be considered completely on brand for said topic?

6 minutes ago, Rytrik said:

Couldn't resurrecting a dead thread about Archviles be considered completely on brand for said topic?

this. this is my favorite post of all time. 

23 hours ago, Teo Slayer said:

Archviles suck

Don’t bump old threads.

Also, in my opinion archvile are the best designed enemies in doom along with revenants. They are so versatile.