Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guardsoul

Sigma-X [5 maps demo version is out!]

3 minutes ago, DoomSoul said:

Is it possible to jump is required to get some secrets?

Yup, jump and crouch are allowed and you will need it for some secrets!

59 minutes ago, Guardsoul said:

Thanks for pointing that out in the txt file; i find it frustrating when gzdoom authors don't specify these features anywhere at all.
Very nice style, appreciate the music choice - the gameplay is quite relaxing. Enjoyed bits of platforming for secret stuff, however the need to turn on freelook in map 2 threw me off abit, wish that the crouch button would allow swimming down - glad you don't need it in next level.
I love how the windows in blue carpet room slightly cloud the vista, making you believe for a second that it's not a gameplay area.
Played with pistol starts on UV in gzdoom's software mode - no problems, 100% maxable. If anything i'd suggest to lower ammo counts slightly, moreso on the first map.

Loved the 3 maps! You definitely put GZDoom's features and OTEX to good use here. Only complaint I have is that there are some areas in maps 2 and 3 where it's too dark, and it's quite annoying when you're fighting monsters you can barely see.

I quite enjoyed these maps! They are extremely easy on the eyes. I didn't find the rocket launcher in map03 though - I was quite surprised to find a bunch of rocket boxes at the final fight. I don't know if that's just me being blind though. I also quite liked the gimmick in map02 of the water rising. 

Really nice maps. The visuals are expertly crafted (blue, gray, and dark gray with lots of vegetation is the secret key to my heart :)), and it's really great to see layouts incorporating 3d floors and swimmable water.

I did find a secret rocket launcher on MAP02, but even so, I'll admit that the combination of high monster density and low rocket supply overall made the gameplay a little slower than I like overall.

Also - I assumed jumping was OK considering it wasn't explicitly disabled by the MAPINFO, hopefully that wasn't cheating.

I'll be watching this thread for more!

Been testing these maps and boy are they sexy. Bright and breezy gameplay with good flow. The maps are (so far) are fairly short so a nice wad to relax with.

Delicious stuff.

8 hours ago, Breezeep said:

Only complaint I have is that there are some areas in maps 2 and 3 where it's too dark, and it's quite annoying when you're fighting monsters you can barely see.

I probably know which areas you are talking about. I will probably soften the darkness a little bit and also add some small dynamic lights here and there to help the player.

8 hours ago, stewboy said:

I didn't find the rocket launcher in map03 though - I was quite surprised to find a bunch of rocket boxes at the final fight. I don't know if that's just me being blind though.

It is in the section between the red key and the red door inside the caves. I should probably add something more than 2 candles to grab the player attention.

7 hours ago, skillsaw said:

The visuals are expertly crafted (blue, gray, and dark gray with lots of vegetation is the secret key to my heart :))

Maps (specially the third one) have been heavily inspired by Valiant. Some people even asked if I was using Valiant textures :P

7 hours ago, skillsaw said:

Also - I assumed jumping was OK considering it wasn't explicitly disabled by the MAPINFO, hopefully that wasn't cheating.

Jumping and crouching are allowed and encouraged, I should probably write that in more places than the readme to avoid confusion.

6 hours ago, Bridgeburner56 said:

Been testing these maps and boy are they sexy.

As I already told you, I blame you for corrupting me with your supreme mapping techniques.

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Looks really good. I can't wait for this to be released so I can play them. How is the music for this? Will it just be standard Doom or have custom midis?

1 minute ago, Rex705 said:

How is the music for this? Will it just be standard Doom or have custom midis?

It will have midis done by the community (always with the permission of the authors).

19 hours ago, Guardsoul said:

Zandronum should also be able to run this without issues but it is untested.

I played through all maps with Zandronum 3.0.1. No huge issues. Just these exclamation marks (missing sprites?) here and there.

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20200408_131934.png.505619caf88930852dda17c4032d0953.pngScreenshot_Doom_20200408_132409.png.c989b3d1be1371773d933f9e32f35b1f.pngScreenshot_Doom_20200408_132604.png.da5dfa4723b16200a159c89344e87e04.pngScreenshot_Doom_20200408_133058.png.67db168f5cdc5a94f39d0f037c5fcac4.pngScreenshot_Doom_20200408_133250.png.65156f831cc147a3ba723e455389dd25.png

No issues in GZDooM 4.3.3.

The levels were an absolute blast. Beautiful, fun, well-designed maps. Can't wait to play the rest of the levels. This should also be great fun in coop!

7 minutes ago, SP_FACE1 said:

I played through all maps with Zandronum 3.0.1. No huge issues. Just these exclamation marks (missing sprites?) here and there.

Looks like the attenuated lights are not implemented in Zandronum yet. I could try to do a workaround with the standard dynamic lights to fix that. Thanks for testing that!

Thanks for the demo these maps are great and I had a good time with them! BTW what format did you make these in? UDMF or Doom in Hexen because I'd like to make some really cool GZDoom maps sometime too.

1 hour ago, SuperCupcakeTactics said:

BTW what format did you make these in? UDMF or Doom in Hexen because I'd like to make some really cool GZDoom maps sometime too.

They are made in UDMF format. I don´t think anyone maps in Doom in Hexen format anymore but maybe I´m wrong!

I don't think you'll find many people having issues with the visuals of these maps, they're brilliantly crafted and really show off what tasteful UDMF levels can pull off. But the main issue for me is everything around that. The combat at the moment is really boring to me, it's always hallways filled with random enemies then rooms filled with random enemies, there's no push and pull to any of it other than opening a door, seeing 50 zombies all stormtrooper at you before you duck out and plink them away.

Even the more interesting traps and encounters are just monster closets being opened around you, like the lift on the third level. It just instantly moves to the top and then opens two identical monster closets for you to spam your languishing rocket supply at. I would have loved to see it maybe slowly move up with an arachnatron at the top making you take cover, maybe slowly spawning in imps on the platform you have to take care of before putting barons on the crates once you reach the top and opening the gates to force you into a more fun dance with different enemy types.

I'm sorry if I'm coming off harsher than I need to be, but the levels feel like they're built by someone with a lot of passion, while the monster placements and encounters feel like they were generated in Oblige. I reckon you could improve this a lot with more purposeful encounter design.

40 minutes ago, Fairweather said:

Feedback

Don´t worry, you didn´t sound harsh at all! I know that most of the encounters in these 3 maps are not the best and I could have crafted in a more challenging way, but I didn´t want to pressure the player too much so early on. Expect more unique encounters in the later levels not only due to the monsters but from the map itself as well!

1 minute ago, Finnthemapmaker said:

Can i ask where did you get these specific tree sprites from?

I extracted them from Paradise (made by Tango) but apparently they were originally made by Sgt Mark IV for Knee Deep in the Jungle.

6 minutes ago, Finnthemapmaker said:

Can i ask where did you get these specific tree sprites from?

You can also check Supercharge mod by Tango, it has plenty of tree and bush sprites. 

On 4/7/2020 at 4:49 PM, Guardsoul said:

Seems like a perfect candidate for Embers Of Armageddon. :o)

Just went through a demo and can say that even though it is not billed as a final product, yet it feels like such. Solid, polished and, most important, fun to play.

A few nitpicks if you don't mind: on the first level maybe consider changing the first green armour secret to a sector? Right now it is assigned to an item, and in an unlikely event that the player finds this secret later in the game with full armour, it is possible to do not trigger the secret even when finding the armour. On the second map, that central "alley" gets a bit empty after the first visit, maybe repopulate it with new monsters when the player gets to it on a second run? On the third map, there's no quick way to return to that cliff from the blue armour secret. Maybe add a teleport that can send you back up? But those are just nitpicking, it is incredibly fun mapset and I'm looking forward to a finished version! Or maybe we will even get a chance to experience a couple of new levels in demo 2? :)

Overall, I gotta say, I'm a fan of your work: Atlas Complex, Toxin Refinery Remake and now this. All great stuff! Have you released anything else? Would love to check it out.

Did a video playthrough of Sigma-X by the way: