Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guardsoul

Sigma-X [5 maps demo version is out!]

20 hours ago, AL-97 said:

Just went through a demo and can say that even though it is not billed as a final product, yet it feels like such. Solid, polished and, most important, fun to play.

A few nitpicks if you don't mind: on the first level maybe consider changing the first green armour secret to a sector? Right now it is assigned to an item, and in an unlikely event that the player finds this secret later in the game with full armour, it is possible to do not trigger the secret even when finding the armour. On the second map, that central "alley" gets a bit empty after the first visit, maybe repopulate it with new monsters when the player gets to it on a second run? On the third map, there's no quick way to return to that cliff from the blue armour secret. Maybe add a teleport that can send you back up? But those are just nitpicking, it is incredibly fun mapset and I'm looking forward to a finished version! Or maybe we will even get a chance to experience a couple of new levels in demo 2? :)

Overall, I gotta say, I'm a fan of your work: Atlas Complex, Toxin Refinery Remake and now this. All great stuff! Have you released anything else? Would love to check it out.

Did a video playthrough of Sigma-X by the way:

Thank you very much for playing the demo and also for the feedback! Some of the points you mention are already addressed but there are some I missed like the green armor in the first map (Whoops!).

I would like to release a second demo with 6 maps once they are completed (there are 4 completed and 1 in progress) but since I switched to OTEX dev I won´t be able to release it before @ukiro finishes his OTEX 1.1 (but maybe we can use this thread to speed things up! :P).

For previous works, most of the stuff I did were contributions for Zandro mods (GvH, ZH, PUSH, INVUX2, etc...) and some maps for community projects (DUMP 2 and Isolation).

18 minutes ago, Guardsoul said:

I would like to release a second demo with 6 maps once they are completed (there are 4 completed and 1 in progress) but since I switched to OTEX dev I won´t be able to release it before @ukiro finishes his OTEX 1.1 (but maybe we can use this thread to speed things up! :P).

That's great news, but take your time and don't burn yourself out! Looking forward to it, whenever that happens :)

Sorry for the bad language if that offends you but holy shit this is amazing. Played it 3 times already this week two times with vanilla weapons and once with brutal doom and it doesn't matter how you play this levels they are always so much fun. Third level is defenitly the visual standout, in my latest playthrough i just stopped and appreciate how good everything looks. I just can't wait for the final product man, and by the looks of some of the latest screenshots it just seems like things keep getting better and better.

Incredible job! Great design, attention to detail, game balance and a captivating atmosphere. I look forward to the full version!

Overall, I had a lot of fun and never struggled to know where to go next. The combat feels refined and well thought-out. I almost always found the door before I found the key needed for it, so it was easy to remember where to travel back to. I saw a lot of neat mechanics and concepts that worked well here.
UV felt punishing yet fair; I had to stop at MAP05. I'll definitely revisit this on lower difficulty on release. I saw a lot of attention to detail and great textures added in (status bar, red/yellow wall used for exits and doors, etc). The wad feels like a nice adventure, and you even made swimming and platforming segments quite entertaining.
Edit: And that MAP04 boss. Hot damn, Guardsoul. Well done.

Edited by Captain Caleb

Uploaded a new version because I´m an idiot and forgot to give credits to the new monsters (SORRY!).

Changelog:

• Changed a couple of lights in SGX02
  • Increased light level in the lateral corridors in SGX02
  • Adjusted some misaligned textures in SGX03

The new SGX04 map has been completed and it will work a transition between the techbase/earth landscape and the goth castle, meaning that we are now aiming to 10 maps instead of 9! 6 maps done 4 to go!

e12BzDD.png

Yq2OD4E.png

LJnLvZf.png

5/5. Excellent everything. The details are good. The design & layout are good. Plenty of good features in UDMF being put to use, and the addition of jumping & crouching allows for some interesting stuff. Big fan of the quake-like intermissions too, this mapset is awesome so far! Can't wait for the full release.

PS: This mapset goes really well with Supercharge. Mapwich 2 has spoiled me.

On 3/3/2021 at 3:27 PM, Turin Turambar said:

Still waiting to play it when it's finished :)

Yeah, it´s still under development. I finally got some of the shenanigans for maps 9 and 10 working. There is a lot of experimentation going on in those maps.

Damn impressive work, although I wasn't too thrilled about the custom monsters. Anyway, there is one problem in SGX01: player can become stuck behind crate below berserk.

5 minutes ago, Caleb13 said:

Damn impressive work, although I wasn't too thrilled about the custom monsters. Anyway, there is one problem in SGX01: player can become stuck behind crate below berserk.

Oh, never noticed that! Thanks for pointing it out!

This mapset is incredible, the great use of Otex (especially on the SGX03 map, where vegetation abounds, combined with human architecture, without breaking the aesthetic), the entertaining, challenging and very well detailed levels, I was playing it vanilla and with Brutal Doom, and the gameplay was equally good in both, an excellent and very fun mapset. the most beautiful way to make my pc suffer

Of course my playtrough of the techbase maps is right here:

11 hours ago, SportsterV90 said:

Absolutely outstanding project! Can`t wait for final release! There are any news?

From my understanding it hasn't been worked on in a while, which is a shame considering this is literally either my favourite or 2nd favourite WAD ever

If I understand correctly, 6 maps were made and only 5 released. Can we have a "demo" with the sixth one pretty please :)