Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Cyb

Kill Yourself!

There's a test level at Gokuma's pit of unspeakable horrors which will allow you to kill yourself with your own projectiles. However, note that while it is possible to kill yourself with your own projectiles in ZDoom, it is not in the original doom2.exe (or doom.exe), though you can be hurt by your own rocket splash damage. If you want to have some fun, make a really long hallway map with a line that teleports you to the opposite end. Then fire some rockets towards the opposite end and teleport yourself. Using prBoom the rockets should go right through you. And that is Professor Cyb's Doom lesson of the day.
Update (11/19): Doh, my bad, the ZDoom (and doom/2.exe) thingy was killing yourself with your own projectiles after you died, not while still alive. Sorry to Gokuma for calling him a big fat liar since he was right and stuff.

I quick tested your idea with a modified version of the map and the projectiles went right through me in ZDoom. You have to fire them in a previous life for them to hurt you, which is the whole point. I just used ZDoom because setting a linedef to damage thing 255 worked good for instant kill. It should be simple enough to find out if this works the same in vanilla Doom. I'll just have to make a map with all four DM starts close together in one place. One player shoots the BFG and immediately respawns after another player caps him with an SSG before the BFG ball explodes.

Dude, you owe me a cacoburger or something. I just killed my future self with direct hits from the BFG, plasma rifle, and rocket launcher in a modified map01 (simply moved the DM starts) in vanilla doom2.exe.

You can do this with turbo as well. With turbo all the way up, you can run faster than your rockets. I first tried that in vanilla Plutonia Experiment, map29 (lots of room to run). If you set the turbo to a certain amount (I forget what) you run at the same speed of the rocket, which is pretty neat too (rocket-vision).

Oh from a previous life you can hurt yourself, heh. This is what I get for doing like seven thousand updates at once and skimming through the news.

You can do the same sort of thing in Hexen. Just play as a mage, use the Boots of Speed, and fire the Frost Shards while running at full speed.

Sign in to follow this