Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Carmelo

Which editor use to change weapon's properties?

Question

Greetings everyone,

So the thing is, I want to edit a WAD called 2xwepdmg.wad. The author is Julz_D and the description says "this MOD will alter the amount of damage for ALL weapons in Doom 2, by 2x. Use this to make your weapons two times more powerfull". The WAD does what it says it does but there are a few problems. The animation and actual shot of the SSG are desynchronized, the pistol instead of doing double the damage in a single bullet, fires 2 bullets like in burst mode, etc. I'd like to polish this wad for personal use. Which editor should I use? 

3 answers to this question

I don't know the mod, but the way to go is surely to use a lump editor such as SLADE3.

Probably you will have to modify some code (DECORATE, Zscript or DeHacked) so be sure to look at the proper pages in the ZDoom wiki.

1 hour ago, Simomarchi said:

I don't know the mod, but the way to go is surely to use a lump editor such as SLADE3.

Probably you will have to modify some code (DECORATE, Zscript or DeHacked) so be sure to look at the proper pages in the ZDoom wiki.

I tried some stuff in SLADE3 but realized something was missing, so I'll check those other editors. I'll attach the wad in the remote case you are curious. Thank you!

2xwepdmg.7z

They are not editors. They are code languages that you can find inside the editor, and are used to modify enemies and weapon properties. 

I've downloaded the file, and it is a DeHacked patch. I really don't know almost anything about DeHacked but I've noticed that every hitscan weapon doesn't do double damage, but simply fires two bullets at the same time, so of course the modder has found a workaround to the fact that he wasn't able to double the damage of the bullets.

Regarding the frame issue with the SSG, I suspect that it is caused by the same workaround, in the sense that the frames of the animation where modified to make the weapon shot 4 bullets at the same time, but something went wrong in the process. I can't say anything more than this sorry.