Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Laz Rojas

Tormentor667 & Operation Rheingold

Just wanted to note that I am currently in contact with Laz. I think my message in private is nothing that I need to hide, so I will simply copy and paste it here for the reasons of transparency and honesty.

Dear Laz,

I am certainly glad to hear from you even though it is not a positive concern at the moment - and same as you, we both have other tasks to deal with in our real lifes currently (I have already told Rick about it).

Still, I want to take the time to answer and explain to you at a gentlemen-basis, as it is important to me not to disappoint you.

First at all - I love your work, it was a great inspiration to me at the end of the 90s to work on Doom maps and it ever since was. We talked about Blade of Agony years ago and to be clear about it: This project would not exist without yourWolfenDoom projects. Another reason why I would never have wanted to copy and paste work uncredited.

16 years ago (yes, 16, not 14 because the easter-egg was included in Torment & Torture - Lost Episode first), I was a young person, aged 19 years old. Yes, a young human being, inconsiderate and easy-going in everything I was doing. In these days for me it was clear that people know about WolfenDoom, they get the homage, and I didn't think about asking for permission - as I didn't ask the music producers of Matrix if I can use one of the score songs as background for the map. I thought it's just fine, people will get it.

This is not an excuse, but an explanation. If I would create Torment & Torture Lost Episode today, things would be different - I can tell you this. I made experiences with esselfortium, I made experiences with wildweasel, and I also made an experience with you regarding this all.

Blade of Agony has huge files for credits, a long credit roll at the end of the mod and one of our teammates does an amazing job to make sure, nothing is missed when it comes to sources. Sure, chances are high that with the size of a project, some things might be missed.

But it is not our intention to forget people. And it was not my intention 16 years ago to disappoint you or use material from your projects for my own pride - it was to honor your work, I simply didn't expect this plagiarism scandal to happen 16 years later.

So I really hope you accept my apology, I am really sorry to have disappointed you. It was not my intention.

Sincerely

Glad to finally hear some words from the man himself. Hope this ends well for everybody.

Offtopic - but glad to hear from you pal, I love your WolfenDoom works Laz.

I'm proud to be part of "Blade of Agony", with all the homage and respect it does to you and your mods.

At the risk of piling on off-topic posts, very cool to see Laz posting here. After vaguely hearing the name around, I finally got to spend some time with the WolfenDoom projects and the amazing VICE documentary when working on a certain recent Wolfenstein-meets-Doom-in-space project. I was blown away that the Doom community had such a unique and passionate artist in its history. (I'd definitely second all of Scuba Steve's questions, on that note.) We love you Laz!

Hey @Laz Rojas! It's great to see you, hope you're doing well. I just wanted to chime in and say that I grew up on your WolfenDoom games and they were actually my taste of registered Wolf3D and my Wolfenstein supply for a while, before I got the real deal that was Wolf3D + all the addons for that later. Even then, the Doom translation of the original episodes and Spear of Destiny still have a cool atmosphere to them. Of the original games, Arctic Wolf Special Edition was my favorite.

As Laz currently is limited by the post limit rule, he has asked to publish the following message in public.

''Dear Rick and Dan,

Thanks for your attention to this issue. I appreciate the consideration you have shown. The last time I was here at Doomworld, years ago, I was mocked and ridiculed by several members and it was so unpleasant an experience that I simply left. All of my contributions to the community were completely overshadowed by a subject I don't wish to discuss even now, and were it not for someone alerting me to the plagiarism thread a couple of days ago, I might never have returned.

Dan, I accept your apology. Primarily because you did contact me years later about BoA, which demonstrates  a growth in maturity and character as compared to your not contacting me about UTNT. So I suppose your oversight back then can be chalked up to youth, as you pointed out, and you did the right thing later on.

I see from the replies to the topic I started that there are still members here who continue to hold my work in high regard. I want to answer all of their comments, but I'm currently limited to just two posts. I'll try to reply to all of them tomorrow in a single post. In the meantime, feel free to post this response on the thread for them to see.

Dan, you were 19 sixteen years ago? So you're 35 now? That's the age I was when I was working on WolfenDoom back in 1998. I'm 57 now. Time sure flies.

Laz Rojas''

Ouch, that's not so pleasant to hear about Mr. Rojas' experience back then. I hope more newer people of the fandom start learning about and respecting him.

On the other side, I'm glad this has come much closer into conclusion, if not as a conclusion itself.

I have to echo Scuba Steve and many others in this thread, your work is a huge inspiration to me and I don't think I'd be here if I didn't stumble across WolfenDoom and your Mac Wolfenstein page when I was a kid. I appreciate everything you've done and your work still inspires me to this day! Thank you so much Laz.

I still remember playing Astrostein for the first time with my old XP machine and zdoom 1.22 .

I was blown away for the level of detail, and aesthetics of the wads.