Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cyb

Retexture My World

Some small updates (though I'm not exactly sure what) to the Doom retexturing pages. For those who don't know, this project is working to replace all the textures in Doom 2, Heretic and Hexen so that they can be used in classic Doom with a modern port that supports hires textures. Anyway, check here for Doom 2, here for Heretic and here for Hexen. That's all folks.

Does anyone who is a daily visitor to Doomwolrd, actually do this. Because its pretty neat.

This sounds strange to me.

I mean, first, it sounds a lot like freedoom.
Second, the heretic and hexen textures have an entirely different colormap.
Third, I'm not sure I understand the idea behind using hexen and heretic textures in ultimate doom.

I don't understand this either, but for other reasons. Most of these textures are just the same textures with higher res. No new detail wich I find is the only reason anyone would bother doing this. Second, many of these textures looks worse than their low res counterparts. Wich I doubt is the aim.

I liked the greentek textures though. and the grass1 and 2 flats.

If they are the same textures transformed to hires... isn't it also illegal?

This project cooperates with FreeDoom.

Second, the heretic and hexen textures have an entirely different colormap. Third, I'm not sure I understand the idea behind using hexen and heretic textures in ultimate doom.

The Hexen/Heretic textures are of course not for Doom, but for Hexen/Heretic source ports like JHexen/JHeretic.

It sounds like fun to people who like texturing, but there doesnt seem to be contact between the members, and alot of the current textures are pretty bad.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It wouldnt be illegal if you redid the texture your self, but if you take the orginal 64x64 and blew it up to like 512x512 and reposted it, then it would definitly be illegal or close to copyright something.

It wouldnt be illegal if you redid the texture your self, but if you take the orginal 64x64 and blew it up to like 512x512 and reposted it, then it would definitly be illegal or close to copyright something.

Not to mention ugly as hell.

Cyb said:

Not to mention ugly as hell.

Depends on how much time you spent on each texture.

myk said:

Yes, but they are not doing that. They are redoing each hi-res texture from scratch.

It was originally one of freedoom's goals to have hi-res textures, but nobody bothered reading the submission guidelines, and only I ever asked people to do it, so it didn't get done.

Jared said:

He means just if you resized the small 64x64 and so on.

So do I - but if you take time touching it up, it can end up looking great. The easiest thing to do is just to add a bit of noise, but manaually placing individual pixels obviously has an even better result.

Well...the first thing you could do is not resurrect a 2-month old thread. Making a new thread somewhere asking for suggestions would be a better idea.