DSC

MM1, MM2 or Requiem?

Which one is better?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Which one is better?

• Memento Mori 1
    • Memento Mori 2
    • Requiem

By the way, I'm adding Requiem because many of the people who worked on MM worked on it too. But anyways, what is in your opinion the best classic 90's megawad of those?

Maybe it’s the killer soundtrack, maybe it’s nostalgia, but the first Memento Mori is a timeless classic in my eyes. The whole trilogy is great but I could replay MM1 right now (preferably with friends but alone too) and have a great time.

1 minute ago, Doomkid said:

Maybe it’s the killer soundtrack, maybe it’s nostalgia, but the first Memento Mori is a timeless classic in my eyes. The whole trilogy is great but I could replay MM1 right now (preferably with friends but alone too) and have a great time.

It is actually the only one of the three I have completed so far, and I completely agree about it being a classic, very enjoyable wad. Loads of big non-linear maps you can explore at your own pace, and just very crazy ideas for its time in general. Still looks good, too! By the way, something I always found interesting, it was made with co-op in mind, something very unusual in the community. Can't recall any other project like that... Man, I really must play with friends on it some day. It must be so much fun...

Just now, Doomkid said:

At one of my numerous old jobs, I met a dude named Jack. He was not a "gamer" or anything like that, but he came over to my house for a couple beers after work one night. I can't remember exactly what went down, but we were looking at videos on YT and I think we came across a Doom one, or I got a comment on one of my Doom videos, or something like that..

Anyway, seeing Doom for the first time in years made him nostalgic, so I decided to boot it up (in Doom Legacy splitscreen) so we could have a bit of fun. For whatever reason, I decided to start up Memento Mori instead of D1 or D2. I just expected us to beat a couple maps then he'd get bored, but he was really into it. We ended up getting to at least map08 that night if not a bit farther. We had to cut it off because it was at least midnight at that point and we still had work the next day. He came over the next two or three nights in a row though, keen to beat it.

Due to a Legacy bug, map progression was broken at some point (I think on map24) so we just had to skip it halfway through, but either way, we had a total blast. I never expected him to be so into it. I'm pretty familiar with the MM maps but they seemed to come naturally to him too, even though he hardly even played video games (other than Madden and stuff like that). Until I left that job, we would still occasionally end up talking about Memento Mori at work, lol.

I haven't heard from Jack since I left that job, at least 7 years ago now, but we really bonded over a few beers and 3-4 nights straight of playing MM.

And people still say that video games only give depression and social isolation!

I love Requiem as it was the first pwad i've ever played. I love the word "Requiem", I don't know why, so when i was looking for a wad to play in the "Top 100 WADs of All Time", a long time ago, it caught my attention immediately.

I've said that I don't really care for Requiem as much anymore since although the maps are some of the nicest looking and most coherently put together maps at the time with some cool vanilla tricks to boot, a lot of them are just not very fun to play. A lot of them are a slog to get through and there are only really a few standout maps, such as 13 (which honestly doesn't have great combat either), 23 (which is an all around fantastic level), and 31.

On the other hand Memento Mori 1, despite being considerably more rough around the edges, just has so many maps that are memorable and fun. Just off the top of my head, maps 04, 05, 07, 09, 14, 15, 18, 23, 24, 28, and 31 are all maps that are clearly memorable to me. These aren't even all the maps that I can recall, but only the ones that I'd consider standout maps. The sheer amount of creativity and ingenuity that is displayed in MM1 makes almost every map a memorable experience.

When it comes to MM2, I have much the same opinion. The maps are consistently more memorable and fun to me than Requiem, and I'd put the overall quality of the maps as being a tier above its predecessor. However, despite this, I'd say that my personal preference still leans just slightly toward MM1, even though MM2 is an overall better experience.

Overall, MM2 > MM1 >>> Requiem, though I personally love MM1 a bit more. You should absolutely play both Memento Moris if you haven't.

Edited by Spie812

i have some more nostalgia towards MM1 over the others, but MM2 is definitely my favorite. everything about it feels very tightly constructed, with much better overall level design than the first one, and with better looking custom textures. it's not as good from a technical standpoint compared to Requiem, but Requiem has some parts that kind of fumble from a gameplay standpoint, like Keränen's maps, which as good as they look, they're kind of annoying to play, and some of MM1's levels bogs down the experience from how much they have aged. that's not to say MM2 is flawless, but i think there's only one map in it that i don't like that much, map 27, and that's mainly because of how long and confusing it can be to navigate. everything else feels really good to play.

it also has my favorite overall classic soundtrack, with it establishing the tone of how the music would sound like in future old-school PWADs like Requiem and Icarus, but having the overall most consistent tone and having lots of tracks in it that are pure classics. MM1's soundtrack is good too, but MM2 is when things really started taking off, and when the music of the Doom modding started establishing its own personality, distinct from the music of vanilla Doom, and IMO just a little bit better suited for the game. Requiem's music is good too, but that's mainly because of the fantastic Requiem Imagined that lifts up the soundtrack to a whole new level (and makes me wish the same thing would happen to MM2 at some point).

as a whole, they're all a fantastic classic trilogy of PWADs from back then, but MM2 will always be my personal favorite.

MM1 is the best of the bunch, it doesn't try to be grand with every map, and keeps to simple and effective layouts that don't overstay their welcome.

The other two I find the opposite, they try to be so complex, but all they end up doing is being cramped slogs (Requiem especially), I like how Ikka revolutionized mapping with 3D bridges and elevators, but that's about it, very outdated overall, compared to MM1, which is outdated only visually.

I actually haven't gotten around to playing MM2 or Requiem yet but i remember trying out MM1 a couple of years ago (maybe 2016-ish?) and liking it quite a bit. Obviously the soundtrack is amazing (i mean it is by Mark Klem) so i do actually listen to it once in a while.

There are quite a few popular mapsets that i haven't gotten around to actually playing or actually "memorizing" yet so i'm not sure if i'm going to put in a vote since i've only played one of the three. It's also been awhile since i've played MM. I do remember it being quite challenging for me at the time and i'm sure nothing's changed since i'm out of "Dooming shape" ;)

I consider them equally good, each one has strong and weak points compared to the others and I find they've aged better than most people here give them credit for.

Maps I found enjoyable:

MM: MAP15, MAP28, MAP31, MAP32

MM2: MAP03, MAP15, MAP19, MAP21, MAP27, MAP28

Requiem: MAP08, MAP09, MAP11, MAP15, MAP16, MAP19, MAP23, MAP24

Maps I did not find enjoyable:

MM: MAP10, MAP11, MAP12, MAP14, MAP25, MAP29

MM2: MAP05, MAP20, MAP23, MAP29, MAP32

Requiem: MAP06, MAP12, MAP21, MAP27, MAP29

I don't really have a consensus here though, they all are fairly equal as far as classic team-made megawads goes. Requiem has the most enjoyable maps but each one has their own enjoyments and still are fun to play to this day.

For me, I would say it's MM2.

I started playing Requiem just a few days ago, beat first 3 levels only and I'm not that much impressed so far, but I believe "better" levels would come later. I mean, the levels, especially MAP03 looked too plain to me. Maybe I just got too used to nowadays standards.

I liked the most of all the first 6 maps of MM2, for their unique textures theme, which was very distinctive and made that wad really appealing and interesting to me. The later maps turned into more common ones, but I liked them too.

Regarding MM, I found the maps a bit simpler than MM2, but still liked them.

Regarding music, I liked many tracks in MM2 and some in MM, especially those made by Mark Klem. In MM there were a few crappier tracks and I did not like that music started repeating after playing through about half the wad.

Lastly, I would mention, that one of my ABSOLUTE most favourite Doom tracks ever, is MM MAP10, The Wind by Mark Klem. So much atmospheric and graduating track with i bit medeival theme, I like the middle part with trumpets and flute the most.

I never was too impressed with MM1 and MM2 but that's probably because I discovered them relatively late, after already playing things like Requiem and Eternal Doom. They are the quintessential "megawad from the original Doom era" and that never really was something I enjoyed.

Requiem had a lot more maps that were visually interesting, but it still had its stinkers - and of course, what's a universal trait of these projects, the glaring incinsistency in quality between the maps. In the end I did the same with all 3 projects - build a condensed version with the maps I like so that I do not have to deal with the ones I didn't.

Memento Mori 1 was one of the first megawads I played, and it's still one of my favourites. I like the others in the trilogy too, but MM1 is the one I've replayed the most, and it's the one I consider the most enjoyable. Admittedly, both nostalgia and the excellent soundtrack are major contributing factors to that.

Requiem, definitely.

MM1 and 2 were interesting to play for historical reasons and both had solid music, but they have aged absolutely horrible. Requiem, despite its stinkers and consistency issues, was more fun overall, although the MMs had some rather memorable maps near the end. City of the Unavenged from MM1 was probably my favorite level from the duology.

Requiem for sure! The MMs have quite a few good maps between them, but there's just too much bull***t in them to enjoy them. Too little health combined with a heavy use of hitscanners, not fun. Ammo balance is often non-existent. Weird progression in a lot of maps, like borderline Eternal Doom only with mostly stock textures.... Honorable mentions include MM2's map01 for its killer visuals (up until the last two rooms) and Tom Mustaine's slaugther map in MM, can't remember map number at the moment. The rest feel pretty dated by now, to be honest.

Requiem does have a fair amount of stinkers too, but it displays so much more creativity and atmosphere - particularily in Keränen's and Adelusion's map. I often hear people complaining about these maps, in that they are cramped or lack ammo, but I've replayed them countless times at this point and love them almost unconditionally. Map13 is one of the few doom maps that actually evokes some kind of weird emotion for me - it's not exactly nostaliga, I can't really pinpoint it. But anyways, Map13s combination of that beautiful sky texture, ditto music, and unique (altbeit cramped) layout connects with me on a spiritual level, for some reason. Other favorites include map03, map16, map24, map27, map28 and last but not least the unforgettable Quake tribute of map31 (which is probably broken in modern source ports). Thanks for reminding me it's time to replay this AGAIN!

Memento Mori 2 is easily the most consistently solid of the three, IMO. Only outright stinker I can think of is map20.

Requiem is generally good, and I love map23, but for the most part, loses steam by the final third for me. The Demonfear-esque maps are cool, but very out of place.

Memento Mori 1 has some of my favourite maps of the 90's era (I adore Jens Nielsen's maps), but I can't deny that it is very inconsistent, and has it's share of stinkers that rival TNT's Metal and Habitat in quality.

MM2 > Requiem > MM1

MM1 didn't age all that well, and Requiem has those small filler maps.

MM2 had the best levels of the 3 but MM1 had a better soundtrack.

Probably a little OT, but one thing I was wondering about MM, MM2 and Requiem: Why music is stored in a separate wad? I mean, there is MM.WAD and MMMUS.WAD, MM2.WAD and MM2MUS.WAD, REQUIEM.WAD and REQMUS.WAD. What is the actual reason for this? It seems like the authors were making the custom music optional, giving players option to play the wad without custom music. But, honestly, I have absolutely NO reason to play the wads with that boring vanilla Doom2 soundtrack! so for me it makes much more sense to have everything merged in a single wad. Or anyone has other opinion?

Their music is of the most atmospheric and recyclable stuff out there imo. Every now and then when I download a (mega)wad that lacks custom midis, and those three are my trusty sources, along with TNT or other preferably old sets. Some textures are very cool too and I'd like to use them someday. 

I have yet to play MM2 and Requiem, but I found MM1 really dated. I would personally even put TNT:Evilution and Icarus: Alien Vanguard above it.

2 hours ago, Hisymak said:

Probably a little OT, but one thing I was wondering about MM, MM2 and Requiem: Why music is stored in a separate wad? I mean, there is MM.WAD and MMMUS.WAD, MM2.WAD and MM2MUS.WAD, REQUIEM.WAD and REQMUS.WAD. What is the actual reason for this? It seems like the authors were making the custom music optional, giving players option to play the wad without custom music. But, honestly, I have absolutely NO reason to play the wads with that boring vanilla Doom2 soundtrack! so for me it makes much more sense to have everything merged in a single wad. Or anyone has other opinion?

If I remember correctly, there was some issue with the game (original exe) chrashing with wads including music during network play or something. Hence, many wads from this era had separate music wads for stability reasons.

I'm votin' for MM1, simply because I've only played that one and I'm about to dive into MM2 and Requiem (as well as Hell Revealed and Icarus) for the first time. I got this quarantine shit ALL sorted out.