Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zekerlad

I need suggestions

So, I am not that great at Doom, in fact I haven't really played it much until recently. I would like to hear suggestions for mods/wads/maps that would be decent for someone who is pretty mediocre at the game but also not too easy as I want a decent challenge both for entertainment purposes and so I can try to get better at playing Doom. 

Fava Beans - https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom/0-9/01fava

Memento Mori - https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/themes/mm/mm_allup

Scythe - https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/megawads/scythe

If you can beat all 3 of these megawads - preferably in that order - you'll build skill steadily and by the end of Scythe you'll be ready to take on all the other crazy WADs out there!

Or play bash your friend dressed up as a Cyberdemon for Halloween on the head with a tree branch. I generally think it's quite easy.

the first DOOM game i fully finished was DOOM 2 on Hurt Me Plenty. DOOM 2 is honestly a really good beginning DOOM player's game in my opinion.

The Rebirth is a perfect middle ground mapset (even up to UV you should be comfortable yet on your toes).

Other than that, play wads on Hey Not Too Rough or Hurt Me Plenty, no shame in that.

Doom Legacy port allows 2 player coop splitscreen that would make harder mods more easy if you have a pal to play with :)
Also there is Oblige Doom level generator where I think you can control difficulty settings (?).

On 4/8/2020 at 11:41 PM, User Name said:

Requiem and Alien Vendetta for Doom II. Both are worth your time!

Playing "Requiem" today seem to have found my old art - uncredited.

Screenshot_Doom_20200412_160640x1.png?ra
Still need to make 100% sure it's not from me using PB, but didn't find such in PB before.

Also found my uncredited old art in Project Brutality today :) Guys said they'll fix the credits.

That would definitely be from PB, Requiem doesn't have any custom sprites, just music and textures. I've found that anything in the Brutal family of mods is choc full of skulltag-era sprites and other graphical content, a lot of it went uncredited for a long time. I'm not sure who's maintaining PB but if you let them know maybe they can add appropriate credits? (assuming they're still around)

I had fun doing speedruns in Entryway and it made my fingers better. I guess it helps with getting  the timings of the monsters. 

Joined Project Brutality dev. team today. I'm a big fan of the project.

All credits will be fixed now. It was indeed from PB

skulltag-era sprites and other graphical content

Yes, and as one of Skulltag team spriters - some of it was mine :)

I think I should put it out that I have already played through Doom (specifically Ultimate Doom) and Doom 2 on Hurt me Plenty. I am just adding this to clear up some things if anybody is curious I guess. 

A couple of months ago, maybe a year, I was in the exact situation you describe. I am far from being a pro, but my skills have definitely improved since then.  What did the trick for me was the „Doom The Way Id Did“  line of wads, especially D2TWID and episodes 2&3 of DTWID. They faithfully replicate the feel of the respective originals, but with an ever so slight increase in difficulty.

Eviternity is also worth a look. It starts at a difficulty comparable to Doom 2, and slowly ramps it up from there. As far as I understand, it is also a solid example of what is considered good combat design nowadays, and on top of that, it looks just gorgeous. 

Sigil, the unofficial episode 5 by John Romero, might also be worth checking out. I played it first on Hurt Me Plenty, and then on UV, and found that to be the perfect approach for it. Helped me noticeably improve my skills. Not everyone seems to like it, though, so your mileage may vary.

Nostromos Run is another wad that helped me gain confidence in my skills. It‘s a single map that takes me between 30-45 minutes to complete. Not too hard, but definitely harder than Doom 2 at times.  I’m not sure whether you’re looking specifically for newer wads, so keep in mind that this one is quite old, and thus, very old school.