Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
silentzorah

Do you own a firearm?

I thought this might be an interesting topic, given Doom's nature.  Anyone here actually own a firearm of some kind?  Or are your firearms only made of pixels?

I, myself, own a Smith & Wesson M&P40.  Just picked it up, actually.  I quite like it.

A rubberband gun.

A shitty airsoft gun.

A mini crossbow.

Some nerf guns

Two NES zappers.

A 12 gauge.

Big stupid empty plastic white rifle that fits around a Wiimote.

Two Saturn lightguns.

Two Dreamcast crappy 3rd party lightguns.

A 22 rifle.

A Mega Airzooka.

My biceps.

Throwing knives/spikes/stars I could theoretically set on fire.

The states of NY/CA/MA can kiss my ass.

Edited by Gokuma

25756024_3.jpg?v=8D400FD7443AA40

I like guns, but not gun culture. Shooting is a fun activity, and I'm saving for a S&W Model 648 44 Magnum Revolver. 

4 minutes ago, Mr. Freeze said:

I like guns, but not gun culture. Shooting is a fun activity, and I'm saving for a S&W Model 648 44 Magnum Revolver. 

I'm with you, there.  Though admittedly, I got mine for personal defense.  I'm eager for the ranges to open up again, so I can take some training rounds down there and get a feel for it.  I hope I never actually have to use it, but I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

I like guns, tho I dont own one. My country is one criminal shithole, but I really dont go outside so theres that.

PS: But I really wanna go outside, goddammit.

I have an old Crosman 38T, 22 caliber pellet pistol that I haven't shot in like 20 years.

QBcwZrj.jpg?1

4 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

Don't need one, either.

How could you know you don't need one? You wouldn't, until you needed it and didn't have it.

I myself have a Glock for home defense. My dad has a lot more. I've fired several pistols, a .22 rifle, AK47, AR15 and more I can't remember right off.

5 minutes ago, Nevander said:

How could you know you don't need one? You wouldn't, until you needed it and didn't have it.

I guess you could say that about any safety equipment. You can't literally own every single type of safety equipment you might possibly need. You have to make a choice about which situations you're most likely to face and plan accordingly. 

Nah, i don't own any guns. I have nothing against them though. I do own this though: A gun shaped knife. It's really crummy though tbh. I also don't have a sheath for it either as this picture isn't mine. This one seems to be in slightly better shape though than the one i own. 

I have a NES Zapper too if that counts (i know it doesn't lol). The orange one though, not the gray one.

2978a189ea24c8779d2e2ff0d6f3282d.jpg

Several. EAA Witness 10mm and a S&W .357 model 586 for handguns. A Russian SKS 45, Russian Mosin Nagant 91/30, Romanian Mosin M44 carbine, and a Mossberg 500 12 gauge.

I had a Molot Vepr chambered in .308, but unfortunately had to sell it a few months ago because I really needed the money. It was kind of a pain anyway, it's based off the RPK light machinegun, so it looks almost exactly like an AKM, but no furniture for AKM's will fit it out of the box. Anything I bought for it had to be dremeled, cut down, or otherwise modified. The lower handguard used some weird European screw that was impossible to find in the US. It was something like a M5x.5. Tiny little thing, and I'm amazed it even held the handguard on. So of course I lost it when I was changing the handguard, so I could never put the original handguard back on. I was stuck with a synthetic AK upper/lower handguard, that had to be held on by a screw on handguard ring, since the rifle wasn't designed to accept out of the box AKM handguards. And since it was based on the heavier frame RPK, the barrel tapered from the receiver, so I had to dremel down the handguard ring to get it around the barrel. I threw so much money into the damn thing.

I keep thinking that I wish I hadn't sold it, but really it was a time and money sink. It was a great rifle out of the box. But I kept wanting to change things on it; but it didn't have an upper handguard, and the first time I took it out I burned my hand on the gas tube. So I decided that needed to be fixed. And it had a sporter stock, but I wanted a pistol grip. But it was a slant receiver, so I had to get an adapter to use standard AK buttstocks. But the buttstock didn't fit the adapter, so I had to dremel it down. Yeah, it was a mess.

Soon as I'm back in a comfortable place I'll probably just go for an AR-10. They seem much more versatile. That or an FAL. My Dad has one, and it's an amazingly accurate and reliable rifle. Depends on what's available, and the price, but AR-10's seem like they're becoming more mainstream. I really like semi-auto rifles chambered in .308.

Oh, and for anyone looking for a handgun, I really strongly recommend the EAA Witness chambered in 10mm. It's absolutely the most accurate semi-auto handgun I've ever used. My Dad used to have a metal frame one and that's why I decided to go for one. Mine is polymer framed, but it's accurate as hell. The ballistics for a 180 grain 10mm round match up very closely with a 180 grain .357 magnum round; but you get a 14 round magazine instead of a 6 shot revolver.

Edited by Jello

7 hours ago, Nevander said:

How could you know you don't need one?

Because culturally and historically there are stark differences between nations that have this right by law and those that do not.

Edited by Redneckerz

The one in my pic is just a broken plastic toy that used to shoot those little plastic balls. It is made to look like an AutoMag III.

Other than that I just have swords: 3 katanas, 2 european swords, 4 sais, 1 bokken and 1 shinai.

11 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

Can't have one by law.

Don't need one, either.

Seconding this one. I've got no need for it and no desire - and laws would make it very hard, if not impossible, anyway.

Don't have one either, but I'd like to honestly.

Why? Because I absolutely do not entrust my safety to someone else, especially our police forces or whatever. I'd rather defend myself thank you very much. I mean they don't come to save us if we're kidnapped and I'm supposed to just... do nothing. No no. But I think it is very difficult to own one here as well, since gun ownership is technically forbidden by law, which sucks.

50 minutes ago, TwinBeast said:

Other than that I just have swords: 3 katanas, 2 european swords, 4 sais, 1 bokken and 1 shinai.

*speaks in Wang voice* I like sword, that's a personal weapon.

I've got a shotgun!

pBa7mf5.jpg

Spoiler

It's a LeFever Nitro Special. It's a side by side 12 gauge shotgun made sometime in the 1920's. I bought it as a prop to use in a home made movie, I have tested it out a few times at an outdoor firing range & it packs one hell of a punch.

C9FEXts.jpg

2 hours ago, Jaws In Space said:

I've got a shotgun!

Is it just the picture, or did you paint it, or is it rusty? I'm just curious, because if it's rusted at all, you shouldn't be firing it. The barrel could very well fragment, especially if it was made in the 20's. There's also the issue of shell length, the originals were apparently chambered for 2 1/2" or 2 9/16" shells, whereas modern 12ga shells come in 2 3/4", 3", and 3 1/2", well and there's the mini shells at 1 3/4", but I personally haven't used those. Never seen a 2 1/2" or 2 9/16" shell except in a collection, and they were paper shotgun cartridges, not plastic. Although just doing some cursory research, there are quite a few Lefevere Nitro Expresses made in the 20's that have had their chambers re-bored for 2 3/4", so it might be fine.

I'm not trying to be a dick at all, I just want to make sure you're safe. Some of those older shotguns can be really hinky. 

I had a 10 gauge American Arms Waterfowl Special side by side for about four hours once. It was made in the 60's, and in excellent condition, and the price was well under Blue Book value. Took it out to the range with my roommate and his girlfriend. The first time I fired both barrels of turkey shot at the same time it knocked one of my feet off the ground. That was a hoot. Got about 20 shells through it, and my roommate wanted to try it. He fired both barrels at once, but from the hip. I turned around just a second too late to tell him not to fucking do that, you have to shoulder the shotgun. It flew backwards out of his hands, hit the ground, and split the stock. I was never able to find a replacement stock for it, turns out it was a rarer shotgun, or at least replacement parts were. Then what was left of it got put in storage, got water damage, rusted barrels, and now it's gone.

Anyway, that's why I commented on your pictures. The barrels in the first picture remind me of the barrels on my SxS after it got water damage. Looks like a really nice shotgun in the second picture, so maybe there's just something off in the first one.

Edited by Jello

58 minutes ago, Jello said:

Anyway, that's why I commented on your pictures. The barrels in the first picture remind me of the barrels on my SxS after it got water damage. Looks like a really nice shotgun in the second picture, so maybe there's just something off in the first one.

Nah, there's no rust on it. The only weird thing I see on the barrel in the first image is a good layer of dust. Once I left Oklahoma 6 years ago I've not had a good place to shoot it, so it's stayed in my closet for the most part.

1 hour ago, Jaws In Space said:

Nah, there's no rust on it. The only weird thing I see on the barrel in the first image is a good layer of dust. Once I left Oklahoma 6 years ago I've not had a good place to shoot it, so it's stayed in my closet for the most part.

Okay, good to hear. As I said, I wasn't trying to be a dick, but I'm really uptight about firearm safety. As I said, in the second picture it looks like a nice shotgun, but the dust looked like rust to me. Just wanted to make sure you're safe. I've seen people do stupid shit with firearms, or use firearms that were unsafe to fire. 

I’ve fired handguns twice and a shotgun once. I enjoy it when I’m there at a range or skeet shooting field but I don’t really want to own a gun and I live in NYC in an apartment so the bureaucracy of getting a permit and then storing it properly in my already limited space is fully unappealing. I also get jitters before going to live range since it’s so rare and there’s always the vague foreboding feeling of how your safety is in the hands of others’ responsible gun handling respect.

Skeet shooting (clay disks) was a lot of fun though and I was really good (50 shells, after the first 10 I got the final 40, or something like that).

I don’t like how the gun debate has turned into NRA versus the never-guns crowd, because I’m pro-second amendment but understand there needs to be some kind of sanity with regards to regulations.

Edit: can you guess which rented shotgun I chose :)

hbfVVeU_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Edited by insertwackynamehere

I don't own one and never really thought of it much. I won't go as far as saying I don't need one, but will say I don't *feel* like I need one.

I think I was 12 when my Dad took me target shooting for the first time. So yeah, I've been shooting for about 22 years now, bought my first rifle and shotgun when I was 18. I live in South Dakota, so firearms have always been pretty common to me. At this point firearms are just kind of a part of my mindset; and I think everyone should be familiar with the basics of how to use them in case of an emergency. 

But if you're uncomfortable around them, or don't want them in the house, or are nervous about them for any reason, do not buy one. They are deadly weapons, and if you're buying one out of panic, and don't take the time to learn how to use them, it's more of a danger to you, your family, or anyone in the vicinity than it is to any real threat. Once you learn how to use them properly, maintain and clean them, it shouldn't be an issue. But you have to take the time to learn it. Don't just go out, buy a random handgun from a store, listen to the guy for 10 minutes, and call it good. If you know someone that knows how to handle firearms, ask them if they could help you out. (Shit, people who own firearms love talking about them. Look at my posts.) If you don't, there are more than likely firearms trainers in your area.

Don't panic buy, and don't use it before making absolutely sure you know how it functions, and taking it out to a range and putting some rounds down range. And by some I mean preferably 200 at least to break the firearm in and get used to the function of the weapon. Magazines should be cycled through at least twice before using them as a dedicated protection magazine to loosen the spring and ensure that it feeds properly.

And really, target shooting is fun. Sending 200 rounds down range sounds like a really good afternoon to me.

Just an aside, PSA really: If you ever find a firearm somewhere, and you don't know how to check the status of the weapon (if it's chambered or not, if there's a magazine in it, if the safety is on or off, or if you're just not familiar with the design) just leave it alone. If you ABSOLUTELY need to move it, never go inside the trigger guard. Find someone who is qualified or comfortable moving it, or call emergency services. And they should be called anyway if there's a random firearm somewhere. More than likely a police officer left it there when he was taking a piss.

Edited by Jello

I've yet to hear a good argument about for not being able to defend yourself.   Home invaders aren't going to patiently wait for you to call the cops and then wait for them to show up half an hour later.   Seriously a bank less than 20 miles from me got robbed.   The police a matter of blocks away took at least over 20 minutes to get there long after the robber got away!   Plus governments love a disarmed populace. 

That said, don't rely on a weapon to defend yourself.  Know multiple ways to defend yourself.   Some people you take away their weapon and they're weaker than as if they never had one to start with.   A European sword school says "Don't marry your weapon."   Being too fixated on holding onto one can cost you.

But isn't customary to give a gun a woman's name?

I've never hunted, but I'm assuming in some countries people must hunt entirely with bow or by trapping?   At any rate, reasonable well practiced hunting is more ethical than eating cooperate factory farmed meat.

You gotta love some of Pennsylvania before the nannystatists ruin it.   A while back, here I am hanging out with a buddy walking through the local farmers market with wine slushies while he's open-carrying a pistol on his hip and I'm just thinking. "Fuck yeah, Freedom baby!"  He does have a game store there and I don't have a pistol to open-carry, but it's the thought that counts.   Meanwhile one of my friends who moved out to Arizona says, This is a handgun sale or transaction there.  *Motions/mimics handing gun and taking cash and says something like good doing business with you.*   And he shows me his driver's license which says "expires... ...2035."   Gotta renew them every 4 years in PA.

HK2ndAmendment.jpg