Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chip

which WADs should be added to the Bethesda console port of doom/doom II

4 hours ago, P41R47 said:

So i think that, as much as we wished to see it, Scythe is a little above plutonia uv skill, making it a hard choice.

NEIS episode 4 gets pretty crazy hard, so I'm not sure I see this as a limiting factor.

5 hours ago, P41R47 said:

Maybe that also help bethesda deciding what to release next.

Based off comments Sponge has made, they’ve already solidified plans for what they’ll release for the foreseeable future.

In that case, Revilution is a perfect choice.

Revilution and other community megawads are almost all certainly a no-go cuz of the number of authors. Furthermore, Revilution has graphics where the author is unknown, which rules it out.

NEIS episode 4 gets pretty crazy hard

Frick yeah it does. Freak. Had to turn it down to HMP for the first time in a loooooooong time.

4 hours ago, Salt-Man Z said:

NEIS episode 4 gets pretty crazy hard, so I'm not sure I see this as a limiting factor.

2 hours ago, Faceman2000 said:

Based off comments Sponge has made, they’ve already solidified plans for what they’ll release for the foreseeable future.

Revilution and other community megawads are almost all certainly a no-go cuz of the number of authors. Furthermore, Revilution has graphics where the author is unknown, which rules it out.

Frick yeah it does. Freak. Had to turn it down to HMP for the first time in a loooooooong time.

It was? well, as i say, i play in HNTR, it was a challenge, but i don't know, i didn't feel it soo much over plutonia HNTR.

About if its a limiting factor or not, seeing the curve of difficulty of the megawads one can, somehow, make a guess about the possibilities, so i'm just considering that. I don't think Bethesda wanted to go Urania at all, for example, or Struggle: Antaresian Legacy (also heretic assets, so not), for much i love those megawads, those are balls hard even in HNTR. And from a corporative point of view, that will take people away and will be only entertaining for a minority.

Even if they got planned what to do, its just a game to me what could be a potential candidate or not.
And maybe a list will help other members aknowledge some things and also Bethesda, so why not?

And yes, I forget again about community projects. Thanks for pointing me that.
That reduces even more the number of possible candidates.

And for making it clear:
no boom,
no community,
no ripped content,
and no dehacked intensive,
right?
i will add no balls hard as a possible factor, but i will list them anyway.
Maybe also highly polished product? Double impact and NEIS are outstandingly polished, even for a fan-made content release.

Thanks guys for the comments and the clarifycation ;)
This helps a lot!

Edited by P41R47

7 minutes ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Boom-compat wad afaik.

Ahh, you're right. I thought it was old enough, that that wasn't the case.

On 4/14/2020 at 5:30 PM, P41R47 said:

Probably Deathless too, but i found that there are some custom textures in there, don't know from where.

They added it, and it is awesome!!!

23 minutes ago, LiT_gam3r said:

They added it, and it is awesome!!!

Maybe i'm psychic jaja :D

Im definatly not knowlagable to know if this "counts" but, the robo godzilla mod should be added.    As far as the title "godzilla" i havent finished playing the wad yet but have not seen any actual "godzilla" references. Then again havent seen all the movies or finished the levels, something may be hiding 😞  the mod has a good designed set of levels, so far i think im on 7? Idk how many are included. But the Wad is noteworthy for my book.

Edited by Defdock

On 5/19/2020 at 7:49 PM, LiT_gam3r said:

@Defdock sounds fun! I'm not sure if Bethesda could get the rights. 

Thats just it... it is fun. But i see no godzilla references besided the title screen picture. But again i havent seen all the movies or played the full wad.

If im not missing any references, the title/picture could be changed to avoid copyright since there seems to be no other reference....

Please correct me if im wrong. Someone want to speedplay the wad and help find references?

Not where i found the wad, but first search sudjestion....

Just the "godzilla" is what im playing/talking about.

@Defdock Just firing it up, the wad can't be added to the Bethesda ports because:

A) It has custom enemies. Any wad with custom enemies is immediately ruled out.

B) It was made by a team - they're trying to keep addons limited to as few of authors as possible.

C) It has a ton of custom textures that weren't made by the team. This complicates things for copyright reasons.

I don't know if any of you saw Sponges response to a topic in Console DOOM, but here is what he wrote. 

We've definitely been erring toward more recent WADs, since people are more likely to be around and easily contactable, and because it's likely that players will be less familiar with a lot of the newer stuff coming out. I hadn't heard of or played almost all of the mods we chose before starting this process, and I'm someone who has been community adjacent for a while. Stuff like Simon's Destiny and Adventures of Square rightly get a lot of "mainstream" attention, but people don't talk enough about the more traditional Doom stuff. Newer releases are also generally better at documenting sources for assets, and not using stuff from other games (see pretty much the entire soundtrack to Hell Revealed)

In general the recency bias is also because the quality bar has only gone up over the years. To me, the design lessons employed in Back to Saturn X shows a mastery over level design that just isn't present in a lot of the id levels. 25 years of hindsight definitely helps, but there is heaps of talent on that team.

with this new information, we can figure out some WADs that may appear soon. Any ideas?

Reverie is an obvious contender. valkiriforce, Jimmy, stewboy, and PRIMEVAL are all around, it's vanilla-compat, and it got a caco in 2011.

I'd like to see BDP21-14 released for consoles as well, they are quite solid and easy, making them perfect for a console environment.

It's so great that BTSX E1 has been ported. I want to see a completely new yet to be released expansion that has new monsters like DN3D 20th Anniversary did.

9 minutes ago, JXC said:

It's so great that BTSX E1 has been ported. I want to see a completely new yet to be released expansion that has new monsters like DN3D 20th Anniversary did.

Unfortunately, right now, thats seem impossible as the new classic port has no DECORATE or dehacked option to make new enemies.

So, aside from appearance change, that is possible as they are just sprites, i don't think this could be loable in the time being.

On other news, now that some community projects can be selected as add-ons i will retain my position and recommend TNT: Revilution.
The last map dehacked work can be worked out, i think, just replacing the SS sprites with those of the machineguns (i think this machineguns have to be worked on as they are from DN3D i think :/), but making them unreacheable, like an invisible wall encaging them. ITs lookg good, but it acts differently as they retain the original behaviour of the SS.

2 hours ago, P41R47 said:

Unfortunately, right now, thats seem impossible as the new classic port has no DECORATE or dehacked option to make new enemies.

So, aside from appearance change, that is possible as they are just sprites, i don't think this could be loable in the time being.

If iD/Nerve does at least something along the lines of Ion Fury or a Doom Eternal spinoff that potatoes can run, that would be cool. 

Edit: I guess Prodeus can be seen as a "retro" spiritual successor to Doom 2016.

8 hours ago, P41R47 said:

On other news, now that some community projects can be selected as add-ons i will retain my position and recommend TNT: Revilution.
The last map dehacked work can be worked out, i think, just replacing the SS sprites with those of the machineguns (i think this machineguns have to be worked on as they are from DN3D i think :/), but making them unreacheable, like an invisible wall encaging them. ITs lookg good, but it acts differently as they retain the original behaviour of the SS.

Revilution wont be coming. Your basically asking Bethesda to contact everyone who worked on TNT2 before the split, everyone from the starting Revilution phase, and everyone from the Jaws in Space final phase. Kyka alone kills the chance, as he left the community after getting his hard work thrown out yet again, the first split already gave him pretty bad depression, the second basically broke his heart. Ive never heard from him again and its likely he wouldnt be possible to contact again for anything Doom-related.

10 hours ago, P41R47 said:

It's not completely impossible; nothing stops id from adding new monsters directly to the game.

4 hours ago, Gez said:

It's not completely impossible; nothing stops id from adding new monsters directly to the game.

thats why i said, right now, at this moment. I would really love to see new features on the new classic port.

Doom 404 is a rather likely candidate I imagine and one I'd overlooked before. It's just Capellan and textures by Nightmare for the most part, and it's more modern than Demonfear.

Going Down would be a great addition simply because of how different it is to the classic WADS that have already been added. It's hard af for sure, but if they have Plutonia consoles should get this one as well

Maybe something really old such as NJ Doom (or NJ Doom2). I know that a lot of the older WADs are practically impossible to "officially" release due to the fact that it's hard to find the people who were originally involved in creating them and get permission from them but i do believe that Enjay is still involved in the Doom scene. I know that NJ Doom and/or NJ Doom2 may not be considered 5 star WADs by everyone but for 1994/early '95, they are really damn good imo.

As for something newer, i really don't know tbh. I'll let other people decide on that.

Edited by CyberDreams : update

3 hours ago, Faceman2000 said:

Doom 404 is a rather likely candidate I imagine and one I'd overlooked before. It's just Capellan and textures by Nightmare for the most part, and it's more modern than Demonfear.

The lavafall texture in Doom 404 which Capellan credits to me in the text file was actually by Michael Mesko (I think I forgot to credit him in the texture pack's own text file), but I recently made a similar looking set myself and would be happy to provide them if needed :)

Anyway, limiting myself to vanilla and limit-removing megawads with only one or two authors, here's the five I'd most like to see added to the console ports:

BTSX Episode 2

Doom II: 25 Years on Earth

Hellbound

The Rebirth

Whispers of Satan (would need the Heretic, Hexen, and Dark Forces textures to be replaced)

Edited by NiGHTMARE

CYBIE.WAD, unlocked as a "reward" for...uhm....doing certain things to a Cyberdemon's derierre with your bare hands.