Are you metal  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Are you metal

• as fuck!
    • old skool
    • NWOBHM
    • Not really
    • Not at all

Just thinking, there seems to be quite a bit of metal music in Doom. Are you a metalhead/old skook rocker? or not really but love doom anyway?   

No, I'm oxygen .

For serious note, I don't mind metal, rock, synthwave and vaporwave for more chill mood. I was more into metal in my teenage years, but I somewhat calmed down. I can't still stand what radio plays, heh. 

yes on Power, Black, Stoner, Folk, Doom and Psych-something metals.

No on (most) Death and Thrash,

definite no on Nu/*-core metals.

But I'm not metal-exclusive at all.

1 minute ago, kalaeth said:

But I'm not metal-exclusive at all.

Agreed.

Definitely more eclectic now I am older, but secretly liked, for example, Cindi Lauper when I was younger, but peer pressure from schoolkids is quite intense. I still listen to rock as my go-to, but I will listen to most things - particularly live. This is probably a big reason as to why stuff like Apocalyptica are so popular.

I like to think I'm pretty metal. Been listening to the stuff since the age of 12 - I've listened to pretty much every major subgenre of metal over the years. Progressive metal is the subgenre I listen to the most nowadays, but I do enjoy most metal to this day, with the exception of the most extreme subgenres. The types of "songs" with constant sweep arpeggios and blastbeats just put me off more than anything. While I can appreciate that style for the technique and finesse it takes to play that, I prefer the more musical metal subgenres.

Just now, MFG38 said:

The types of "songs" with constant sweep arpeggios and blastbeats just put me off more than anything. While I can appreciate that style for the technique and finesse it takes to play that, I prefer the more musical metal subgenres

You are talking about Dragonforce aren't you :-)

Yeah I agree. Listening to that sort of stuff on CD is quite difficult. I have seen DF live a couple of times (better, cos you can actually watch them play) and can absolutely appreciate the skill, but quite difficult to listen to it for more than a few minutes.

The cheese within Dragonforce is real, they have mastered the art of cheesy power metal over the years, nothing alike the good ol' US power metal.

I voted old school. First metal bands I listened to were Metallica, Motorhead and Iron Maiden in the early 80's after being into hard rock bands like Deep Purple, Grand Funk Railroad, April Wine and Led Zeppelin and too many to mention. I like most genres of metal like Speed, Power, Doom, Symphonic, Death, Folk, whatever I'll listen to it.

I'm more than metal tho, I do like rock, pop, classical, jazz, etc...

Edited by Doom_Dude

Yeah, metal in all forms...grew up in the 80s and of course got heavily into the Big Four, as well as many others.  Current favorite is Slipknot.  Going to one of their shows is like going to a metal circus.  

But like others, not ALL that I listen to.  Just what I most enjoy.  I've tried to get my 11-year-old daughter into it, with zero progress.  

34 minutes ago, smeghammer said:

Priest, yeah!

Me, I'm defo old-skool/NWOBHM

Priest, Ozzy, and AC DC were my gateway bands...Maiden too.  Still love it all.  

Black metal all the way for me, well, at least the first wave and second wave stuff. Minus the shitty people and politics, of course. Newer black metal usually leaves me cold, but, uh, not in a good way. Most of the coolest older BM bands that stayed around kept experimenting themselves into new non- or post-black metal stuff, much of which I enjoy (Enslaved, Sigh, Ulver, even Darkthrone seems to stay surprisingly fresh and interesting somehow). I never got into the black-metal-meets-shoegaze thing, seemed like a dead end for the subgenre. Ragana made my ears perk up as maybe something fresh in the BM space, but I'm still not sure the style has much of a path forward. (I'll certainly welcome more "queer antifascist black metal" though, heh.)

In the past several years, the major creative action seems to be in the doom metal tradition, which I'm still learning about. Last year also had some of the first death metal records that have ever really clicked with me (Blood Incantation, Tomb Mold) for some reason.

I'll like many, many genres of music. But metal has a special place in my cold little heart. It's the first type of music that I really got into back in my rebellious teen years, and I'm a big edgelord to boot, so it fits with my aesthetic.

For me, the fastest, heaviest, and most aggressive the better. My favorite thing about metal is when it gets you so pumped you feel like you could fist fight a lion and win. Of course, there's more to metal than that, but that's what really made it stick with me all these years.

As far as subgenres go, I terrible with distinguishing between them. Technical musical knowledge is not my strong suit. But I can say this: I don't hate all of nu-metal. Korn, and Slipknot are okay in my book. Stuff like Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit can go fucking burn though.

I'd say my favorite metal bands are Judas Priest and Megadeth.

Not so many votes yet, but looks like a wide range of musical tastes that people have. Which just shows, DOOM is for everyone :-)

I'm in a metal band called HELL SHEEP that play instrumental metal inspired by doom and quake. So I think i'm pretty metal ;) 

16 minutes ago, HorrorMovieGuy said:

I'll like many, many genres of music. But metal has a special place in my cold little heart. It's the first type of music that I really got into back in my rebellious teen years, and I'm a big edgelord to boot, so it fits with my aesthetic.

For me, the fastest, heaviest, and most aggressive the better. My favorite thing about metal is when it gets you so pumped you feel like you could fist fight a lion and win. Of course, there's more to metal than that, but that's what really made it stick with me all these years.

As far as subgenres go, I terrible with distinguishing between them. Technical musical knowledge is not my strong suit. But I can say this: I don't hate all of nu-metal. Korn, and Slipknot are okay in my book. Stuff like Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit can go fucking burn though.

I'd say my favorite metal bands are Judas Priest and Megadeth.

Limp Bizkit definitely has a permanent place in the "What the hell were people thinking?" file.  I thought their cover of "Faith" was pretty funny when I heard it the first couple of times, but they were PLENTY short on talent.  One of those bands that will never enjoy a second life through nostalgia, the way some of the glam metal/hair bands have.  

I don't mind some of Linkin Park, but it felt like most of their songs followed the same formula.  And then you have bands like Disturbed...really enjoyed their first album (Down With The Sickness), but all of their albums after that were basically less-good versions of that album.  Dave Draiman has always come off as pretty pompous in most interviews that I've seen of him.  They did manage a killer cover of The Sound of Silence though.  

Found no poll alternative that suits me... I'm about 60% metal and 40% "other" divided into multiple genres/subgenres. I've been listening to metal for almost 30 years now, and found there's good stuff and bad stuff to be found in all sub- and sub-sub-genres. My all-time favourites include Sepultura, Chimaira, Napalm Death, Burzum and Ministry to name the most important ones. Last couple of years I've started digging Jinjer from ukraine... They're really good!

Bands that aren't metal through-and-through, like Faith No More, Alice In Chains and those kinds of guys are also highly beloved.

Edited by Uncle 80

Yes, especially old school black, death, and thrash metal, but I like many other genres as well.

Not really, I like some industrial/electronic metal like Fear Factory, Ministry, KMFDM and 3TEETH. Was into Deathcore eight years ago when it "made sense" as my life was really getting flushed down the toilet.

I used to be a metal-only type of person starting by listening to traditional heavy metal, I then started to dig through power/speed and thrash metal and thus ending up into black/viking and death metal. Today i'm blending all those genres and I don't have a particular preference, all depends on the mood I am. I'm also that one guy that despise everything that has the -core in its name. I do enjoy 80s pop and classic rock as well nowadays though.

Not really. I don't hate metal or anything, but I don't have a preference. Like I enjoy it in the original games and in 2016, but didn't care for it in Eternal.

It's not something I listen to in my own time.

I dig some modern metal bands, but ever since Necrophagist's Epitaph (great album anyway) there's been a little too much studio editing in metal for my taste. Especially in tech-death, deathcore and djent.

To me heavy metal peaked with the Florida death metal scene from the 90's.

I'm kind of old school and new school I suppose.

But I also listen to everything, drummer.

Though, typing this with my Megadeth shirt on heh.