Are you metal  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Are you metal

• as fuck!
    • old skool
    • NWOBHM
    • Not really
    • Not at all

I listen to many a metal band in many different subgenres, but also many other types of music. I answered "as fuck" anyway, though.

Just few bands, such as Leprous, Pain of Salvation, Tool, Haken, Tesseract, Baroness, Opeth and some more...

2 hours ago, smeghammer said:

My 8 yo daughter sometimes asks for Rainbow in the Dark. 

My job is done...

Hell yeah. Dio is bumpin'

3 hours ago, DesecratorJ said:

The cheese within Dragonforce is real, they have mastered the art of cheesy power metal over the years, nothing alike the good ol' US power metal.

Aren't Dragonforce British though?

1 hour ago, DesecratorJ said:

I'm also that one guy that despise everything that has the -core in its name.

Hey, grindcore/death metal is usually fine though, but otherwise yeah, I agree, not a fan of -cores at all either lol.

As fuck. I've become more metal over the years, so much so that I can't stand 99% of pop and rap music. Pretty much any kind of metal I can listen to, but I prefer progressive metal. The heaviest band I listen to is probably Opeth, anything heavier is not really my thing but I'd still listen to it over rap.

By the way, I didn't even know what NWOBHM was and had to Google it.

Yes, I find my favourite music fits in the stoner/sludge/doom metal subgenres, though I'm open to stuff outside those subgenres and even outside metal as well. 

14 minutes ago, Nevander said:

By the way, I didn't even know what NWOBHM was and had to Google it.

Yeah, I'm British and teenage in '80s so Saxon, Maiden, Motorhead, Tygers of Pan Tang, Diamond Head etc. were what I grew up on.

Thrash 'till death right here. Like classic heavy metal too... After all, I'm typing this while listening to Judas Priest!

20:00 UK time - clap for our NHS nurses

4 hours ago, Deⓧiaz said:

Dethklok

You know, I actually think Dethalbums 1 and 2 are really damn good. Have both of them on vinyl. I emailed Murmaider to my brother years ago and he thought they were a really damn good metal band. Not realizing that it was a TV show. So I have to give them honest kudos. It's clear they have a real love for metal.

I myself dabble. Slayer is one of my favorite bands. But I've never really liked Black Sabbath, Metallica, or Judas Priest. I like Motorhead quite a bit, but they're almost a blend between metal and punk. Eisregen is good. I think Slipknot's self-titled album is great, the rest, not so much. But as far as genres of music go, I can enjoy pretty much all metal to a degree. So if there's a spotify playlist set to metal, I can listen to it. I just don't have a large list of metal bands I listen to. Mostly punk.

5 hours ago, smeghammer said:

My 8 yo daughter sometimes asks for Rainbow in the Dark.  

My job is done...

Thank you for restoring a small piece of my faith in humanity. 

I don't listen to it any more than most other genres, but I enjoy a fair bit.  In general, slower sounds heavier to me so I incline to stoner/doom metal quite a lot, although preferring bands Sabbath influenced rather than Sabbath themselves. I suppose my tastes run fairly newschool: Tool, Electric Wizard, Meshuggah, Neurosis, Opeth, older Slayer, Lacuna Coil for a bit of cheese, Aaron Turner's gazillion projects.  Speaking of Aaron Turner, for sure Sumac was the most bludgeoningly heavy gig I've ever been to. Even Sunn O))) didn't shake the room like that.

Download 2019 was horrible, had to choose between Tool and Slayer's possibly last ever UK gig. I chose Tool.

3 hours ago, Bauul said:

Aren't Dragonforce British though?

Yep, but I was just making a point related to the music genre.

3 hours ago, seed said:

Hey, grindcore/death metal is usually fine though, but otherwise yeah, I agree, not a fan of -cores at all either lol.

death metal is a thing, grindcore is another, which i'm not a huge fan of, but still more respectable than let's say, deathcore. "cringe"

Let's just roll with "very metal". Example of stuff I find massively enjoyable:

Spoiler

Also good deathcore exists fwiw

The more I got into metal, the less I got into metal.

Post-rock, prog rock, psychedelic rock, stoner rock, d-beat/anarchopunk, grindcore, powerviolence, crustpunk, free jazz, fusion, psychedelic jazz, funk, noise, drone, power electronics, industrial and all that stuff... I wouldn't have jumped into it if it wasn't for metal.

Hell, I've gone deep enough to actually discover good deathcore. It's not about what genre you pick or which genres you mix. It's about how you write it, and how you play it.

A fuckload of the metal that I used to love as a teen is best described by Darkthrone... "Modern metal, I don't give a fuck, I was raised on rock."

Fuck man, I know psyrock albums that sound more sinister and evil than a fuckton of black metal made these days.

Some days I love it fast and heavy, other days I like it lite and easy.. All depends on the mood.

I picked "old school" because at this point there's more rock, or just random eclectic stuff like various songs I might find that have been incidentally used as background music in some video, and the music is so great I seek it out on it's own.

I come from a background of being in an industrial/metal band in my teens and early 20's so the love of all things heavy is fundamentally present within me. My ears are just too tired for it sometimes.

i like samples and funk and weird goth/post-punk basslines too much to ever be truly metal. i have made a few metal midis but after they're done I think, "where the hell did this come from" =P

i love napalm death though

I guess? I love brutal death metal, OSDM, NWOBHM, goregrind, grindcore, etc etc. I don't really identify as a "metal dude" though.

Not only am I metal, but I also sing metal. Unlike most metalheads around, I drift towards power and progressive. Earlier I made groove and NU metal, but turned out not to really like it. I also tried something I call "radio metalcore." (Avenged Sevenfold.) In the end I simply gave up, because that neither was my forte, nor was what I like doing, despite the fact I managed to learn how to growl and even can rap a few. However, I just prefer good ol' high pitched screaming. 

What made me turn towards power metal was the song Burning Times by Iced Earth. Of course, eventually I got more to their actual powerhouses (Dante, Iced Earth, The Coming Curse, Dracula...) Later a friend of mine shared me a Nevermore song and I've been loving this band from the first hearing. In the end I said - this is what I want to make as music. 

My vocals are mostly inspired by Rob Halford (Judas Priest), Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden) (the usual suspects, ha-ha), Stu Block (Iced Earth, Into Eternity), Matt Barlow (Iced Earth, Ashes Of Ares), Warrel Dane (Nevermore, Sanctuary), David Draiman (Disturbed, Device), Hansi Kürsch (Blind Guardian), Joachim Borden (Sabaton), Rumen Boyadzhiev (FSB), Atanas Penev (BTR), Panayot Solakov (Yuvigi) and Dimitar Ekimov (Slang). Other vocalists I really admire are of course Ronnie James Dio (Rainbow, Black Sabbath, solo), Myles Kennedy (Myles Kennedy and the Conspirators, Alter Bridge), Phil Anselmo (Pantera, not that much in Down), David Coverdale (Whitesnake, Deep Purple Mark 3), Freddie Mercury (Queen), John Bon Jovi, Steve Tyler (Aerosmith) and Joachim Cans (Hammerfall). As for "dirty" singing, if we don't count Phil Anselmo, my faves are Alexi Laiho (Children Of Bodom), Chuck Schulinder (Death) and Carcass' vocalist, I always forget his name. But if I would growl (which I do rarer nowadays), it's something between what Phil Anselmo and Stu Block do. 

I listed just a few of the bands I like above with their vocalists. Recently I mostly listen to the bands that are close to the style I'm planning for a project with a friend of mine. Those are: Iced Earth, Nevermore, Symphony X, Hammerfall, Yuvigi, Blind Guardian. 

Yeah, please don't take it like an application form for a band lol. At least I didn't post a record of myself singing. 

On the topic of Metal, I wonder why the 70-80% of Lovecraft-inspired bands/songs have to be heavy deathcore grind-destructive progressive neo cyber-steampunk reloaded Metal featuring unnecessary growls.

However being more serious with my earlier post, yes, this is still Patrick.

Oh and I actually like nordic metal, y'know, vikings and Norway mithology, it's pretty badass and better than many stuff I have heard from other countries :p

After a hiatus of several years, I recently got back into power metal for some odd reason. My favourite new discovery last year in that genre was "Twilight Force". Other than that I enjoy oldschool thrash metal (discovered "Scanner" recently as well) but also black metal ("Terminal Lost" for example).